Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
BY Baltimore - new rule
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

amother
DarkOrange

Post Mon, May 13 2024, 1:17 pm
amother Pumpkin wrote:
I think my excuse me got translated into something harsh and I apologize, I didn’t mean for it to be harsh.
What I meant was, walk into seven mile on any given day and you’ll see a mix of all types. Most will be wearing something on their legs, depending on the season.
Baltimore is a homogenous community but it’s also starting to separate. With every new school that opens (boys and girls) the existing schools amend their rules.

I don't think you can use 7 mile as the litmus test. People who don't keep cy have the ability to do more shopping in other stores and probably frequent 7 mile less. So weare only seeing a fraction of the Baltimore community doing all their shopping at 7 mile.

amother
Mocha

Post Mon, May 13 2024, 1:32 pm
My kids are at OCA and I’m really worried about what I’m going to do once they get to high school. Especially my daughter.

amother
Dill

Post Mon, May 13 2024, 1:34 pm
I understand people are upset that it’s going away from the community school vibe but as someone more to the right, I’m worried about not having a yeshivish school for my girls when they get older

amother
Ballota

Post Mon, May 13 2024, 1:38 pm
amother Dill wrote:
I understand people are upset that it’s going away from the community school vibe but as someone more to the right, I’m worried about not having a yeshivish school for my girls when they get older

By the time you get to HS, both Bnos and BY get pretty yeshivish. The girls go to all kinds of seminaries. They are more than fine.

amother
Lemonchiffon

Post Mon, May 13 2024, 1:39 pm
amother Dill wrote:

The solution for that is another school, not fighting the rules at an existing one.

amother
Ballota

Post Mon, May 13 2024, 1:39 pm
amother Mocha wrote:
My kids are at OCA and I’m really worried about what I’m going to do once they get to high school. Especially my daughter.

My husband teaches at OCA, this is something I've asked him many times. The girls seem to go from OCA to Yeshiva in SS.

mha3484

Post Mon, May 13 2024, 1:41 pm
amother Ballota wrote:
By the time you get to HS, both Bnos and BY get pretty yeshivish. The girls go to all kinds of seminaries. They are more than fine.

My very yeshivish neighbor is moving with HS girls to Baltimore this summer. No way she would move if the schools were not yeshivish enough for her.

amother
Dill

Post Mon, May 13 2024, 1:41 pm
amother Lemonchiffon wrote:
The solution for that is another school, not fighting the rules at an existing one.

Yes I agree!! Sorry my comment should have been a s/o post. Not just worried about high school though, also middle school.

amother
Mocha

Post Mon, May 13 2024, 1:48 pm
amother Ballota wrote:
My husband teaches at OCA, this is something I've asked him many times. The girls seem to go from OCA to Yeshiva in SS.

Yes I ended up making that switch myself when I was in high school. I hear it’s getting more yeshivish there as well (though obviously not the extreme of here).

I guess I’ll just wait and see where her friends end up going. We still have a little while to wait. I just wish someone would open up a girls high school here. Unfortunately I am very much not the person to do that.

amother
Coffee

Post Mon, May 13 2024, 2:49 pm
amother Scarlet wrote:
I am soooo not worried about it.

BY does have higher standards than TA. Not gonna lie about that. But it’s still very much a community school and they know it and we know it.

Curious what you mean about BY having higher standards than TA?

amother
Ballota

Post Mon, May 13 2024, 2:55 pm
amother Coffee wrote:
Curious what you mean about BY having higher standards than TA?

I could be so so wrong but the person who said that - I wonder if they are one of our NY transplants. That was a very un-Baltimore kind of thing to say.

amother
Oleander

Post Mon, May 13 2024, 3:00 pm
justforfun87 wrote:
Wanted to start a spinoff here. I was always under the impression that it was a community school. Granted it is a BY but I thought a point of pride was that girls come from all backgrounds. Put the Bat mitzvah conversation aside. An email came out yesterday of a dress code for parents. What really stuck out to me was that moms come with tights or knee socks. This really blew me away. Was this always the rule and I never realized? I have been showing up for years bare legged and closed toed shoes just out of respect. There is no way I am putting on tights/knee highs.
Wow.
I only read the first few posts, but I am old enough to have gone to BY high school when knee socks weren't even required for STUDENTS!
This is not okay. (FYI, I try to never go out bare legged, but I am not okay with them forcing chumrahs.)

amother
Sand

Post Mon, May 13 2024, 3:24 pm
amother Lemonchiffon wrote:

Sounds more like this is a solution for existing schools. If they want to change things up and move to a different hashkafic direction, they should open a new school for it instead of forcing the current parent body into compliance.

amother
Sand

Post Mon, May 13 2024, 3:26 pm
amother Ballota wrote:

Why does it scare me? Because I now envision a time when TA will make a no screen time rule, not optional program. I worry this is the precursor to that.

This. How do you think this all started elsewhere. First, it was just optional. Then it was mandatory. Then more and more rules got added on top of it.

Sounds like Baltimore is following NY. It's sad.

amother
Chicory

Post Mon, May 13 2024, 3:37 pm
I grew up in Baltimore. I see no problem with the school having parents meet basic tznius standards when they are at school
Also, bais yaakov is a bais yaakov. They were only a community school when there were no other options. But it is a bais yaakov school and has the right to ask that parents dress accordingly while visiting the school

amother
Wheat

Post Mon, May 13 2024, 3:38 pm
amother Sand wrote:
This. How do you think this all started elsewhere. First, it was just optional. Then it was mandatory. Then more and more rules got added on top of it.

Sounds like Baltimore is following NY. It's sad.

More like following NJ, not NY. Nowadays many NJ schools have way more rules than NY schools

amother
Oleander

Post Mon, May 13 2024, 3:45 pm
amother Chicory wrote:
I grew up in Baltimore. I see no problem with the school having parents meet basic tznius standards when they are at school
Also, bais yaakov is a bais yaakov. They were only a community school when there were no other options. But it is a bais yaakov school and has the right to ask that parents dress accordingly while visiting the school
Covering your calves is not basic tznius. It is a beautiful and commonly accepted chumrahs, but a chumrah nonetheless, and falls under the category of minhag hamakom.
This is precisely the danger in schools overreaching- people forget what is basic halacha and what is a chumrah. I think chumrahs are beautiful, but only when taken on by an individual's innate desire.

amother
Oleander

Post Mon, May 13 2024, 3:47 pm
Baltimore absolutely needs a 3rd girls' school. Why can't the OCA parents form at least a 3rd high school?

amother
Pumpkin

Post Mon, May 13 2024, 4:20 pm
amother Oleander wrote:
Covering your calves is not basic tznius. It is a beautiful and commonly accepted chumrahs, but a chumrah nonetheless, and falls under the category of minhag hamakom.
This is precisely the danger in schools overreaching- people forget what is basic halacha and what is a chumrah. I think chumrahs are beautiful, but only when taken on by an individual's innate desire.

The letter from BY didn’t say anything about calves. It said knees should be covered.

amother
Oleander

Post Mon, May 13 2024, 4:33 pm
amother Pumpkin wrote:
The letter from BY didn’t say anything about calves. It said knees should be covered.
Thank you for clarifying. I stand corrected. I am not a current parent and was just going based off of op's statement that women must either wear tights, stockings, or knee highs.
Page 3 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics