Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
S/o if you have bunk beds, what age kids sleep on them?

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 13 2024, 8:28 pm
I'd be so nervous for my 6 and 3 year old to sleep on bunkbeds. I'd never trust my 6yo not to jump off.

amother
Oak

Post Mon, May 13 2024, 8:29 pm
11 & 12

amother
Feverfew

Post Mon, May 13 2024, 8:33 pm
9 on top, 6 on bottom

amother
Clear

Post Mon, May 13 2024, 8:41 pm
I slept on a top bunk from second grade until I got married.

amother
Burgundy

Post Mon, May 13 2024, 8:44 pm
My kids started sleeping on bunk beds at (just under) 7 and 2.5

But it’s much lower bunk bed than the norm.

The lower bunk Is just 2 inches off the floor and the top bunk is about my height (I don’t know bed’s exact height by I can reach my child without going on tiptoe and I’m 5’2)

Here’s something similar to what I have :
https://a.co/d/3KDVmQ7

Keep in mind- mattress should be 6 inches - a regular 12” mattress will be same height as the railing

amother
Puce

Post Mon, May 13 2024, 8:47 pm
I don't think it depends on age. It depends on whether you can trust them to be safe with it.

Right now the only kids I have in bunk beds are 14 and 11. When they started (I don't remember the age, but it was years ago, maybe the older one was 6 give or take a couple of years?), I was very clear that the younger one was NOT allowed on the top bunk ever. The older one was a real rule follower, and still is. I taught him how to use it safely, what to do and what not to do, and he was fine. I would not have let their other brother be on the top bunk at age 6, he would definitely have been climbing and jumping off and doing crazy things with it.

If you think he won't be safe on it, don't get it for him. Maybe a trundle bed instead, if space is the issue?

ETA: And we specifically didn't get the low bed because then they can only use it for a few years. Otherwise the one on the bottom will always be bumping their heads and feel crowded as a teen. I'm glad we did, we have no reason we need to switch things up now.

amother
Bergamot

Post Mon, May 13 2024, 9:32 pm
Right now I have my 3 yr old on the bottom and my 8 year old on top. Its a lower bunk bed. It can also eventually be split into 2 beds and used that way. The room can't fit the 2 beds, hence the bunk bed but by the time they are ready to no longer use it, my family dynamics may change.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Mon, May 13 2024, 9:35 pm
I shared a room with 3 of my sisters and slept on the bottom of a bunk bed till my wedding. My sister one year younger then me slept on top.

zaq

Post Mon, May 13 2024, 9:53 pm
According to the Consumer Product Safety Commission, children under 6 should not be on the top bunk. Older than six, you have to know both the kid on top and the kid on the bottom. If the one on the bottom is likely to bang his feet on the underside of the top bunk in an effort to dislodge the mattress or the kid on it, and/or if the one on top is likely to try bungee jumping off the top, neither one should be in a bunk bed.

amother
Honeysuckle

Post Mon, May 13 2024, 10:12 pm
For the top not under the age of six.

amother
Antiquewhite

Post Mon, May 13 2024, 10:29 pm
zaq wrote:
According to the Consumer Product Safety Commission, children under 6 should not be on the top bunk. Older than six, you have to know both the kid on top and the kid on the bottom. If the one on the bottom is likely to bang his feet on the underside of the top bunk in an effort to dislodge the mattress or the kid on it, and/or if the one on top is likely to try bungee jumping off the top, neither one should be in a bunk bed.

Whoops my 4 yr old is on the top and 6 yr old on the bottom. What's the safety concern if there's a rail?

They're girls and suuuuper calm.

amother
Molasses

Post Tue, May 14 2024, 9:57 am
Right now, one room has 10 on top and 9 on bottom. The other room has 8 on top and 6 on bottom.
When we lived in a tiny apartment and had a stacked triple bunkbed, we had 2 on the bottom, 4 in the middle, and 5 on the top (when we first got the bunkbed).

amother
Oak

Post Tue, May 14 2024, 9:59 am
amother Fuchsia wrote:
I shared a room with 3 of my sisters and slept on the bottom of a bunk bed till my wedding. My sister one year younger then me slept on top.

I slept on the top bunk from age 7 till I got married at 21...
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children