Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Why do you buy brand names or knock offs?
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

amother
Gray

Post Tue, May 14 2024, 3:09 pm
Labels are tacky, the truly wealthy are never walking advertisements

renslet

Post Tue, May 14 2024, 3:10 pm
I think that there are so many levels in brand names, are we talking top designer or regular brands vs target Walmart brand.
For me it all depends, one of my kids who has literally ripped pairs of shoes in days, I only buy Nike, I try to get on sale but they are the only ones that will last 5-6 months. My other kids I buy stride rite or other cheaper types but because it's shoes I don't like buying the target Walmart type.
Household appliances also depends how often I will use it if I'll buy a more heavy duty one.
When it comes to clothing, I do think that the more expensive is cuter but I can't justify the price for kids clothes that they wear only a little while.

amother
Bone

Post Tue, May 14 2024, 3:14 pm
amother Gray wrote:

Not actually true, there are plenty of very wealthy people who walk around in head to toe labels. Everyones personalities are different

AlwaysGrateful

Post Tue, May 14 2024, 3:32 pm
I'm so curious. For those who said that they buy name brands because they're made better and will last longer...Are you doing that to save money? To save the hassel of having to go out and buy another one too soon? Or for another reason? (I'm not talking about shoes or something where comfort might be an issue. I mean something like a shirt or a handbag.)

And if it's to save money...Do you think you are saving money? Overall?

If it's to not have to go out and buy another one too soon...Do you shop less than those of us who buy cheaper brands? Also, I don't like shopping, but I feel like many people who like designer brands do. Do you dislike shopping and you are willing pay more to avoid it? Or is it to save time -- in which case, do you think it actually saves you time?

I've always wondered these things. I'm hoping this thread can help me understand...

amother
DarkPurple

Post Tue, May 14 2024, 3:34 pm
amother Gray wrote:

False. Celebrities who tend to be of the super wealthy will wear labels.

renslet

Post Tue, May 14 2024, 3:35 pm
AlwaysGrateful wrote:
I'm so curious. For those who said that they buy name brands because they're made better and will last longer...Are you doing that to save money? To save the hassel of having to go out and buy another one too soon? Or for another reason? (I'm not talking about shoes or something where comfort might be an issue. I mean something like a shirt or a handbag.)

If it's to not have to go out and buy another one too soon...Do you shop less than those of us who buy cheaper brands? Also, I don't like shopping, but I feel like many people who like designer brands do. Do you dislike shopping and you are willing pay more to avoid it? Or is it to save time -- in which case, do you think it actually saves you time?

I've always wondered these things. I'm hoping this thread can help me understand...

I do it to save money. My son was going through shoes like water. I bought Nike shoes and didn't have to buy for 5 months. Definitely saved money in the long run.
Adults who wear stuff for much longer, if bought with that in mind can also save money.
My appliances also save money, they wash the clothing better, break less often, are better at using less detergent etc

amother
Lightblue

Post Tue, May 14 2024, 3:36 pm
I have never and will never buy something just because of the label. I go by quality. And need. End of discussion. I do get hand me downs from wealthier people so sometimes my kids end up with nicer stuff.

amother
Purple

Post Tue, May 14 2024, 3:39 pm
lamplighter wrote:
The consensus seems to be that brand names are better quality/fit.
I have no tayva for brand names, that doesn't make me better, just it's not my thing.
I am definitely not against buying quality.

Is this really what it boils down to? Why is it so triggering if it's only about better quality? Do our teenagers really care about the better quality?
Are there items that are not brand name that are also quality?

When we see groups of people in brand names are we just seeing communities that care about high quality items?

The quality point makes sense for objects, not so much for clothing. Clothing goes out of style and most of the people wanting brand name clothing are always changing up with the styles.

As for fit, I can hear that for better clothing. But does anyone buy a brand name sweatshirt bec of its fit.

Personally, I rather respect the persons choice when they're honest about it as opposed to being fed rationalizations for it.

AlwaysGrateful

Post Tue, May 14 2024, 3:46 pm
renslet wrote:
I do it to save money. My son was going through shoes like water. I bought Nike shoes and didn't have to buy for 5 months. Definitely saved money in the long run.
Adults who wear stuff for much longer, if bought with that in mind can also save money.
My appliances also save money, they wash the clothing better, break less often, are better at using less detergent etc

I'm not talking about Nike. Or about buying a Kitchenaid or Cuisinart vs. a random other brand.

I'm talking about designer brands. And I think that's what most people on this thread are talking about. Names like Gucci. Or Louie Vuitton. (I'm revealing my ignorance -- I googled to find these two, which I recognized, but I'm sure there are many others that I've never heard of before.)

renslet

Post Tue, May 14 2024, 3:47 pm
amother Purple wrote:
The quality point makes sense for objects, not so much for clothing. Clothing goes out of style and most of the people wanting brand name clothing are always changing up with the styles.

As for fit, I can hear that for better clothing. But does anyone buy a brand name sweatshirt bec of its fit.

Personally, I rather respect the persons choice when they're honest about it as opposed to being fed rationalizations for it.

True but that's when you take fashion into account.
For example, I'm plus sized. Calvin Klein makes plus sized clothes with an excellent fit, much better that other brands that I've tried. So I'll buy that brand. And I tend to wear the same clothing for years and years so it probably ends up saving me money.
Shein has lots of plus size stuff and I was so excited, but it really didn't look good on me

amother
Bone

Post Tue, May 14 2024, 4:44 pm
AlwaysGrateful wrote:

No, I’m sure I do not save money at all because the things I buy are extremely expensive. I could probably buy hundreds of cheap items to replace one single item I buy..

I like good quality because it’s a better fit, looks nicer, feels nicer. I happen to have many items passed down to me from my great grandmother or great aunt that are in wonderful condition that I wear and get so much use out of. I love the idea of leaving certain things to my own great grandchildren one day. Not all designers are of that quality, but some are. It does help me justify certain very big purchases, knowing I’m basically buying “heirlooms” to pass down

Other items are justified by knowing they have increasing value and is a legitimate investment, like some of my bags

Mostly I just buy what I like, and I enjoy things of high quality as well

I won’t say that it makes me shop less. I do have less to replace but I still shop often because I enjoy it

Though DH enjoys that he has worn the same coat for the last decade and it still looks brand new

amother
Apricot

Post Tue, May 14 2024, 5:04 pm
OP, I think the target audience of your question isn't going to answer here.

One of my relatives buys knockoffs constantly. She has a contact in China on whatsapp who she contacts each season and gets all the trends for cheap. This Chinese woman told her she has a huge client base here in Brooklyn. Believe me, none of her contacts are responding on this thread.

I can't speak for why my relative buys knockoffs. I definitely can't speak for this Chinese woman's entire client base. But I highly doubt they're shopping through her for the quality.

If I can go on a little rant, here's my two cents:
We as a society equate financial difficulty with being lazy. If we hear that someone is poor, we don't say oh, they probably work so hard but Hashem has other plans for them. No, we assume they made bad choices that led them to where they are. They should have chosen a better career path, worked harder, had more initiative, etc etc. We don't allow for poor people to simply be.
And therefore people will do whatever they can to appear not poor. Including flaunting their (nonexistent) wealth. Even if they have to go into debt for it, even if they have to buy knockoffs just to appear trendy. Because there is nothing worse in their eyes than being poor. It means they have failed at life.

amother
Lightpink

Post Tue, May 14 2024, 5:08 pm
Such an interesting discussion. I'll be honest. I have two wardrobes; work and personal. My work look is expensive. I live out of brands like the row and have quite a collection of suit jackets from chanel. I just picked up a great navy and red tweed jacket from their ready to wear line. My work bag is usually Hermes or Dior. I wear lots of Tiffany jewelry, vintage chanel, etc. Heels are usually YSL or flats from the row. Then there's my personal clothes. My favorite pieces are from indy designers on places like wolf and badger but I wear a lot of cheap pieces that are more functional and comfortable. For example, I have loads of sweaters from places like Sierra and pair them with skirts that have built in leggings. I add a simple hat and flats or sneakers, done. I don't even wear makeup on my own time, let alone a sheital. I have a $26 long dress from shein that I love, love, love. I wear it all summer! When I'm on my time, I like to feel relaxed. Anything too nice feels like work so nope. Shabbos is kind of funny. I loathe dressing up so I got some amazing long dresses (less than $100 each) that double as robes and I rock a tichel. Done and done. I dress the part for my career and then drop it all when I get home. Some of my best work pieces will go to my daughter one day and I hope she wears them in good health. Bh, my kids don't care about fashion at all. Neither do I. I have a shopper select items for my work wardrobe and keep everything super monochromatic. It's all mix and wear stuff but I don't buy anything seasonal or "in." Only long term pieces, if you get what I mean. My kids wear Walmart, whatever. They don't care. Even my high school daughter isn't into these things. She doesn't own $200 anything. I gave her a gift that I received from a client. It was a set of Tiffany earrings and matching necklace. She keeps it in her draw but doesn't really wear it because she prefers her cheap collection of jewelry from our travels. I don't see a need to push high end anything on my kids. I asked if they wanted moose knuckles coats this past winter. Boy oh boy did I hear about how inappropriate that was! My son gave me a earful about how no one should wear that Smile

amother
Impatiens

Post Tue, May 14 2024, 5:16 pm
amother Lightpink wrote:
Such an interesting discussion. I'll be honest. I have two wardrobes; work and personal. My work look is expensive. I live out of brands like the row and have quite a collection of suit jackets from chanel. I just picked up a great navy and red tweed jacket from their ready to wear line. My work bag is usually Hermes or Dior. I wear lots of Tiffany jewelry, vintage chanel, etc. Heels are usually YSL or flats from the row. Then there's my personal clothes. My favorite pieces are from indy designers on places like wolf and badger but I wear a lot of cheap pieces that are more functional and comfortable. For example, I have loads of sweaters from places like Sierra and pair them with skirts that have built in leggings. I add a simple hat and flats or sneakers, done. I don't even wear makeup on my own time, let alone a sheital. I have a $26 long dress from shein that I love, love, love. I wear it all summer! When I'm on my time, I like to feel relaxed. Anything too nice feels like work so nope. Shabbos is kind of funny. I loathe dressing up so I got some amazing long dresses (less than $100 each) that double as robes and I rock a tichel. Done and done. I dress the part for my career and then drop it all when I get home. Some of my best work pieces will go to my daughter one day and I hope she wears them in good health. Bh, my kids don't care about fashion at all. Neither do I. I have a shopper select items for my work wardrobe and keep everything super monochromatic. It's all mix and wear stuff but I don't buy anything seasonal or "in." Only long term pieces, if you get what I mean. My kids wear Walmart, whatever. They don't care. Even my high school daughter isn't into these things. She doesn't own $200 anything. I gave her a gift that I received from a client. It was a set of Tiffany earrings and matching necklace. She keeps it in her draw but doesn't really wear it because she prefers her cheap collection of jewelry from our travels. I don't see a need to push high end anything on my kids. I asked if they wanted moose knuckles coats this past winter. Boy oh boy did I hear about how inappropriate that was! My son gave me a earful about how no one should wear that Smile

Love this.
I think it is because you have $ and are comfortable with who you are that you feel no need to put on a show and it has trickled down to your kids.

(My work clothes on the other hand are the free scrubs my hospital provides. I refuse to pay for brand name Figs when I get free ones.)
I wear “fancy” on my own time. But to me fancy is ruffles or rhinestones. I am partial to clearance at off 5th, Bloomingdales outlet, or Ann Taylor)

amother
Lightpink

Post Tue, May 14 2024, 5:23 pm
amother Impatiens wrote:
Love this.
I think it is because you have $ and are comfortable with who you are that you feel no need to put on a show and it has trickled down to your kids.

(My work clothes on the other hand is the free scrubs my hospital provides I refuse to pay for figs when I get free ones.)
I wear “fancy” on my own time. But to me fancy is ruffles or rhinestones. I am partial to clearance at off 5th, Bloomingdales outlet, or Ann Taylor)

I wish my job came with scrubs Smile
Twould be significantly more comfortable and cheaper! Despite the work wardrobe, I really do value experiences more than things so I splurge on travel. That's worth so much more than a bag to me. But yes, I am comfortable with who I am and don't feel the need to show off. Pretty sure my kids schools have never seen me "dressed" and I wouldn't want anyone to feel less than based on how I look for work. Fancy can be whatever makes you feel beautiful. I heartily endorse fancy. Yes, we have money but it's hard earned and my kids know the value of what we've built and continue to work for. Hard work is ingrained into them so they prefer to save rather than spend. I do too! Scrubs would be amazing but I believe my job would have a issue with that. How sad for them and me.

amother
Dill

Post Tue, May 14 2024, 6:01 pm
amother Gray wrote:

I know we like to extol quiet luxury and that labels are only worn by wannabes and new money, but I don’t think it’s necessary true.

If you follow some IG fashion accounts, where they interview well dressed “old money” people, they are generally fully logo-ed and wearing lots of obvious brand names.

amother
Gray

Post Tue, May 14 2024, 6:06 pm
amother DarkPurple wrote:
False. Celebrities who tend to be of the super wealthy will wear labels.
I meant blue blood, not the nouveau rich and definitely not trash like current celebrities. As they say, money talks but wealth whispers. Regardless, I myself buy what I like within my means

amother
Lightpink

Post Tue, May 14 2024, 6:09 pm
amother Dill wrote:
I know we like to extol quiet luxury and that labels are only worn by wannabes and new money, but I don’t think it’s necessary true.

If you follow some IG fashion accounts, where they interview well dressed “old money” people, they are generally fully logo-ed and wearing lots of obvious brand names.

Depends so much on the individual. I have clients in the top 1% and some are walking labels (usually the middle age or younger Asian crowd or new money) and others are much more quiet. For example, one client is 68 and he doesn't come to me - I travel to one of his homes. His properties are incredible estates. His staff is top notch. Beautiful, luxury cars. When I meet him, he's usually covered in dirt from his greenhouse and wearing a cheap gardeners vest that was made in Amsterdam for him 30 years ago. He bought 12 at that time and has worn them passionately since. One time, we took a meeting on his private jet. He was wearing a 30k custom suit, 5k shoes and his watch was worth 500k. You can never really tell who has what in the world of the ultra wealthy unless they deliberately flaunt it. This sweet older man is so humble at home but a beast in the finance world so he dresses the part. I admit that I emulate him and others like that. The loud luxury ones are, in my opinion, cheaper on the whole because of the dependence on labels. Cars, homes, clothing. It never ends and it's never enough. I feel for them but it's almost like a bottomless hole that will never be filled.

amother
Dill

Post Tue, May 14 2024, 6:10 pm
amother Apricot wrote:

One of my relatives buys knockoffs constantly. She has a contact in China on whatsapp who she contacts each season and gets all the trends for cheap. This Chinese woman told her she has a huge client base here in Brooklyn. Believe me, none of her contacts are responding on this thread.

I can't speak for why my relative buys knockoffs. I definitely can't speak for this Chinese woman's entire client base. But I highly doubt they're shopping through her for the quality.

We as a society equate financial difficulty with being lazy. If we hear that someone is poor, we don't say oh, they probably work so hard but Hashem has other plans for them. No, we assume they made bad choices that led them to where they are. They should have chosen a better career path, worked harder, had more initiative, etc etc. We don't allow for poor people to simply be.
And therefore people will do whatever they can to appear not poor. Including flaunting their (nonexistent) wealth. Even if they have to go into debt for it, even if they have to buy knockoffs just to appear trendy. Because there is nothing worse in their eyes than being poor. It means they have failed at life.

While it may be true, these individuals are not renowned for their honesty, they are probably saying it to drum up more community business.

giftedmom

Post Tue, May 14 2024, 7:29 pm
amother Apricot wrote:

Can you give me that lady’s number? Pretty please? Will save me a lot of time scrolling through ali express.
Page 3 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics