Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
S/o stuff you misunderstood as a little kid
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next

amother
Mocha

Post Thu, May 16 2024, 12:02 am
beloved wrote:
We used to ask my father why he had to go to work, and he said "To make money." I pictured him sitting in an office and manufacturing dollar bills all day.

Hey I was just coming on here to write this😄

amother
Poppy

Post Thu, May 16 2024, 12:04 am
This thread made me lol multiple times.
I thought the lacy lingerie I had seen in my mother's drawer was so uncomfortable and proudly announced as a young teen that I will never buy such pajamas when I am older. I'll just stick to my comfy cotton ones. I was clueless...

I also thought that parents could never pass anything without putting it down first. At one point I used to offer my mother to pass things to my father for her.

I used to be terrified as a young teen that maybe I was pregnant and didn't know it. It kept me awake at night but I never told anyone. I used to imagine having to hide inside because I would be too big and then making up a story of how I got a baby. I knew nothing until kallah classes.

amother
Taupe

Post Thu, May 16 2024, 6:26 am
#BestBubby wrote:
Aren't they prosecuting Trump for removing a mattress tag?

That was a satire story from Babylon Bee, a satire site.

Comptroller

Post Thu, May 16 2024, 6:32 am
When I was about 4-5, I saw children my age on Television and imagined that they had to go through tubes to come into the TV set. (That was before flat screens.) I asked myself if it hurt, if it was uncomfortable to travel through those tubes... I pitied those children a little bit.

amother
RosePink

Post Thu, May 16 2024, 9:39 am
I used to think that there’s a wall inside the cow separating the milk and the meat😂😂

amother
Skyblue

Post Thu, May 16 2024, 11:19 am
When I was little I heard my mother say "I need to go to the grocery, do you have any money on you?"
And my father looked into his wallet and said "Nope, not a penny".
I couldn't sleep for days thinking we had used all our money up.
Had no clue about cards or accounts I guess.
(FWIW I grew up in a wealthy home, we were not deprived.)

amother
Lemon

Post Thu, May 16 2024, 12:05 pm
I thought hashem made yidden have beards and non jews dont have beards. Obviously I grew up in a community where men dont touch their beards.
I was so confused when I saw in a coloring book a picture of achashveirosh with a beard.

amother
Tiffanyblue

Post Thu, May 16 2024, 12:19 pm
amother RosePink wrote:
I used to think that there’s a wall inside the cow separating the milk and the meat😂😂

Lol this reminds me of my Mom often saying that had she come into this world as a cow, it would've been for her meat, not her milk. I never understood what she meant, although the adults around always found it funny!

Well, when I struggled with not enough milk to nurse my babies, while struggling to lose weight I finally understood!!

amother
Linen

Post Thu, May 16 2024, 4:25 pm
amother Cyan wrote:
And I imagined HaShem looking like Max in his wolf suit from the storybook "Where the Wild Things are" by Maurice Sendak.

I thought He looked like genie from Aladdin…

amother
Firethorn

Post Thu, May 16 2024, 4:34 pm
amother Skyblue wrote:
When I was little I heard my mother say "I need to go to the grocery, do you have any money on you?"

LOL For the opposite perspective, I thought we were secretly rich because I noticed a few times my father had a wad of a few hundred dollar bills in his pocket. (Unfortunately, I was wrong.)

amother
Aquamarine

Post Fri, May 17 2024, 12:05 am
I used to think “The littles” were real and imagined small people living in my sewer pipes.
I also thought that whenever people wore scarves around their necks it was because their heads were detached from their bodies 😬😬 ( O read this in a book at the library and found it so horrifying because I thought it was real)

amother
DarkKhaki

Post Fri, May 17 2024, 12:19 am
amother Skyblue wrote:

This is actually a very common thing for kids to overheard and feel...
PSA to parents

hodeez

Post Fri, May 17 2024, 12:25 am
I would test my powers of telekinesis every so often so see if I had developed them yet

Cheshire cat

Post Fri, May 17 2024, 12:52 am
hodeez wrote:
I would test my powers of telekinesis every so often so see if I had developed them yet

Omg. I'm reminded of the time I read matilda by Roald Dahl. I worked on my telekinetic skills for days, then came down with a severe migraine.

joy613

Post Fri, May 17 2024, 12:54 am
Cheshire cat wrote:
Omg. I'm reminded of the time I read matilda by Roald Dahl. I worked on my telekinetic skills for days, then came down with a severe migraine.

I think every kid who read Matilda (or watched it) tried that! I definitely did.

amother
NeonBlue

Post Fri, May 17 2024, 2:48 am
amother Tiffanyblue wrote:
Lol this reminds me of my Mom often saying that had she come into this world as a cow, it would've been for her meat, not her milk. I never understood what she meant, although the adults around always found it funny!

Well, when I struggled with not enough milk to nurse my babies, while struggling to lose weight I finally understood!!

This is gold! Awesome!

amother
Steelblue

Post Fri, May 17 2024, 3:59 am
In school, when we were told that the bus is coming late because it broke down, I literally thought that it toppled over on its side.

Also, we were once at a farm and were watching a cow giving birth. My brother turns to me and says 'one day you're gonna do the same thing'. I answered 'what?! you're crazy!' I had always assumed that all women have an operation when they have a baby.

Debbie

Post Fri, May 17 2024, 4:41 am
When I was growing up my parents had a TV,and I thought that when we switched it off at night all the people came out the back of the set!
Also, my mum used to say that she had eyes in the back of her head, and I remember examining her head, but I never saw those eyes.
Finally, am I the only one who would look under the bed before getting in, to make sure no one was hiding there?

Comptroller

Post Fri, May 17 2024, 5:23 am
hodeez wrote:

I understand you. I would watch a series "my uncle from Mars" who would move things around pointing at them with his finger. I would have loved to have this capacity.

Plus I would have loved being so small that I can sleep in a matchbox, inspired by E. Kaestner's novel The Little Man.

amother
Mistyrose

Post Fri, May 17 2024, 5:49 am
Debbie wrote:
When I was growing up my parents had a TV,and I thought that when we switched it off at night all the people came out the back of the set!
Also, my mum used to say that she had eyes in the back of her head, and I remember examining her head, but I never saw those eyes.
Finally, am I the only one who would look under the bed before getting in, to make sure no one was hiding there?

I had a crocodile living under my bed, so I had to bend over and look under the bed before getting out of it to make sure it wasn't about to eat my feet!
Page 8 of 9   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next Recent Topics