Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
What to feed picky eaters?

LO

Post Mon, Sep 08 2008, 11:28 am
My twins, aged 19 months, suddenly declared a strike on all food that they ate until now - jars, cottage cheese, eggs, yogurt, sandwiches with cream cheese/ pb+jelly, etc.....They are barely eating anything, and started waking up at night because of hunger. Any other ideas on what else I can give them, or how to deal with this in general?

ShakleeMom

Post Mon, Sep 08 2008, 9:18 pm
Make a list of what they are eating in the last two days. Let’s see what we can work with.

LO

Post Mon, Sep 08 2008, 10:15 pm
Hi, thanks for replying!

I can't recall the last two days specifically, but I will describe an average day. In the morning they usually have cheerios, probably about 1/4 of a regular plastic bowl. Hard to tell, since most of it ends up on the high chair tray... LOL Then, they go to playgroup, where they drink a bottle of milk before sleep, eat the crackers/pretzels at snack, and a bite or two of their sandwich, if I'm lucky. When they get home, I give them something to drink (usually juice diluted with water), may be some cheese. They wll eat fruit, I.e. grapes, watermelon, etc., but I try not to give too much because of sugar. At dinner time, they will eat a bite of chicken (may be) or a few pieces of potatoes, or may be an egg. Another bottle of milk before sleep, and that is it.

Is this normal? May be I'm just overestimating how much kids should eat? It seems to me like they USED to eat more a month or two ago...

Thanks again!

Miss Missie

Post Mon, Sep 08 2008, 10:23 pm
I think kids at that age definitely need more nourishing. My toddler is also giving me a very hard time. I try feeding him plain avacodo which is very healthy and that he likes. My doctor told me to give him whatever he wants to eat, if that means ice cream let it be ice cream as long as he gets some calories.

It's not an easy stage but hopefully they will outgrow and learn to appreciate real food!

ShakleeMom

Post Mon, Sep 08 2008, 10:23 pm
I’m thinking it’s pretty balanced and nutritionally enough for this age. However I agree that kids can go on an eating strike. Try to buy hard cheese of different shapes like string cheese, stick cheese, and triangles. If they won’t have it, show them in front of their face how yo cut it into bits, and then they might taste it. If they see how it came, they might trust it in its original form.

Try adding the cheerios to a yogurt. I'll think of some more.

HAPPYMOMMY

Post Mon, Sep 08 2008, 10:26 pm
When ds does not want to eat I try adding raisins or blueberries... in his cereal, yogurt, oatmeal, cottage cheese... and I let him fish it out. He has a great time finding the raisins that are hiding and the rest of the food usually comes along on the spoon.

fish123

Post Tue, Sep 09 2008, 1:32 am
I just got a cookbook called the sneaky chef where you stick veggies into food so you cant taste them. I know your little one isnt really eating much food but this way atleast there will be lots of vitamins if I bite or two is taken.

BeershevaBubby

Post Tue, Sep 09 2008, 3:53 am
I find my toddler (16 months, KE"H) is more willing to eat food if I'm eating it and I give it off my plate.

Pasta with sauce (either a meat sauce or a plain tomato mixed with cottage cheese), pizza, scrambled eggs, tuna-veggie latkes, french fries (both white and sweet potatoes).

Yesterday we were in Jerusalem and he shared my veal shawarma, Israeli salad, hummus and french fries.

I also make sure to add a little seasoning to whatever I give him. I don't mean chili powder, but I will add some black pepper, a bit of salt, a dash of garlic powder.

Snack is usually fruit of some sort - apples, mangos, nectarines.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics