Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Is there a cut off?
Previous  1  2

amother
OP

Post Wed, May 22 2024, 11:17 am
salt wrote:
Taking a shower and putting on pijamas takes me 10 mins. The rest of the time I'm in the lounge/kitchen, etc with whoever is awake.
I will come back out to the lounge with my pijamas on.

Ok so our bedrooms are on a different floor to the kitchen and lounge. We turn off the wi-fi and all devices have to be turned in by 9:00. Usually that means everyone is upstairs in their rooms doing whatever. I'm sure they may go down for something to eat but no one is hanging out downstairs any longer. I'm good to go to bed then but the constant knocking and requests is frustrating and I find myself getting up and down to deal with whatever they come knocking about.
Do I just sit in my room doing something that can be interrupted for x amount of time and then effectively say, office is closed, I'm going to bed and then get ready for bed?
I grew up my parents room was on the same floor as the kitchen and lounge so the dynamic was so different. They did go to sleep before us and I don't think I would ever knock on their door for anything unless it was an emergency.

amother
Cornsilk

Post Wed, May 22 2024, 12:10 pm
amother OP wrote:
Ok so our bedrooms are on a different floor to the kitchen and lounge. We turn off the wi-fi and all devices have to be turned in by 9:00. Usually that means everyone is upstairs in their rooms doing whatever. I'm sure they may go down for something to eat but no one is hanging out downstairs any longer. I'm good to go to bed then but the constant knocking and requests is frustrating and I find myself getting up and down to deal with whatever they come knocking about.
Do I just sit in my room doing something that can be interrupted for x amount of time and then effectively say, office is closed, I'm going to bed and then get ready for bed?
I grew up my parents room was on the same floor as the kitchen and lounge so the dynamic was so different. They did go to sleep before us and I don't think I would ever knock on their door for anything unless it was an emergency.

What do you expect them to do after 9? Turning the WiFi off and taking their devices away makes them bored and more likely to bother you.

What kind of requests do they have for you?

amother
Beige

Post Wed, May 22 2024, 12:15 pm
My older kids need that attention time after8:30 PM when the younger kids are asleep.
My 9th grade son gets home at10 from yeshiva, and his bedtime is 11.
My kids don't always stick to bedtime... But its okay because I'm one of the late night posters here... I need the quiet hours to wind down .

amother
Bergamot

Post Wed, May 22 2024, 1:47 pm
amother Ultramarine wrote:
I have a cut off time and a quiet time. My kids have to be in their rooms at 9:45. They can do what they want and they can come out to get drinks or whatever they need, but then it’s back to their room. I need a quiet house for my sanity. It’s been working nicely for us.

Your teens are in their room at 945?

amother
OP

Post Wed, May 22 2024, 3:26 pm
After the wifi is off they can do whatever they want that's not a screen. I do not allow devices when I am not around.

amother
Tulip

Post Wed, May 22 2024, 3:27 pm
amother OP wrote:
After the wifi is off they can do whatever they want that's not a screen. I do not allow devices when I am not around.

Likewise.

amother
Navy

Post Wed, May 22 2024, 4:33 pm
amother Cornsilk wrote:
What do you expect them to do after 9? Turning the WiFi off and taking their devices away makes them bored and more likely to bother you.

Now here's an idea--wildly radical, even shocking, but worth a try: Let them READ BOOKS. Google may know all, but there's plenty of knowledge and entertainment to be found in books. And their batteries never die.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics