Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Sugar-free child?

parsley

Post Sun, May 19 2024, 7:01 pm
I’ve been seriously considering taking my child off of sugar to help with his behavior. The problem is, that I don’t know where to start. This child literally lives for sugar and asks for treats multiple times a day (he doesn’t always get it but he’s very persistent. )
Has anyone ever done this for a child? How did it go? Did you allow sugar over shabbos? Would this experiment still work if he’s allowed sugar in, for example, ketchup? Did you stop cold turkey? Prizes in lieu of shabbos party? Did it end up helping whatever issue you were looking to solve? Any other tips or insights appreciated.

amother
Vanilla

Post Sun, May 19 2024, 7:02 pm
How I wish this was possible where I live. Sigh.

How old is your child OP? If they're not in any type of group setting it may be possible

Or maybe if they're very young and you substitute with fruit gummies type snacks

amother
Tealblue

Post Sun, May 19 2024, 7:04 pm
I did it. I focused on actual candy and junk. I allowed a limited amount of things like ketchup in moderation. I used chocolate chips as treats found they don't affect kids much. We moved to toy prizes and earning other things. But I also found that I needed to get rid of screens too. It really helped my kid return to normal.

mfb

Post Sun, May 19 2024, 7:09 pm
How do you stop kids from getting nosh from neighbors, in school, in shul….

amother
Tealblue

Post Sun, May 19 2024, 7:12 pm
mfb wrote:
How do you stop kids from getting nosh from neighbors, in school, in shul….

Shul you can watch your kid. School you send a bag of alternatives whether it's special food or prizes and tell them the plan. Neighbors you say don't give my kid anything they are on a special diet. It's not easy but if you put the work in it can work.

amother
Almond

Post Sun, May 19 2024, 7:15 pm
A few thoughts:

Kid can't ask for treats you don't have. So don't buy what you don't want him to eat.

Unless child is diabetic or there is some serious health issue, don't go radical counting every gram of sugar in every condiment and food item. And don't make zero sugar a 24/7 in all situations rule.

I'll share what I do with my kids and have been successful with for many, many years:

We don't have sodas or candy in the house. Ever.
I don't tend to use sugar in dressings, marinades, sauces, etc. When I do it's a tiny bit of honey or something like that. Very little.

Snacks during the week are mostly fruits and veggies with a dip (hummus, techina, even peanut butter, etc.). Also some plain chips, crackers, rice cakes, pretzels. But not candy, cookies, cake, ice cream, etc.

On Shabbos I bake cake and/or cookies. Normal sweet stuff, but not obnoxiously sweet either. Sometimes will have store bought. Sometimes chocolates or ice cream. It's a time for treats. But not candy or soda. I really feel strongly that those things are nothing but sugar and chemicals with absolutely zero nutrition. Also if we go out to eat, which is rare, no rules.

I don't keep after my kids about what they get in school or at friends. Some of them have naturally adapted their tastes/ choices and avoid all the junk when out in the world. Others do eat candy and soda when they have the opportunities, but it seems to be in great moderation compared to many of their peers. I'm not and have never been militant about it. I think that always backfires.

amother
Moonstone

Post Sun, May 19 2024, 7:23 pm
My children are all off processed foods, but not all sugars since it is sometimes in the dishes I make.

They have home made juices, fruit leather, and toffee during the week.

They have a ton of fruit, it's always offered.

Snacks are home made popcorn, muffins, cookies, and cakes, in addition to the foods mentioned above and fruits.
My kids are younger so they don't mind. But Bakol and Heaven & Earth have some very clean sugar free options.

Lunches are: brown rice pasta, falafel , gf pancakes, sourdough bread with different spreads, , potato latkes, Vegetable patties, Tuna patties and more.

Shabbos I buy some nosh but always clean. Solely has some really good fruit bits. If you feel your child, needs it then I would stick with Organic junk once a week. They are better because they don't have high fructose corn syrup or highly processed sugar

It'll be hard but I'm sure it's worth it if you're doing it to see a change in behavior.

If all of this is too much, I would remove anything that has msg, coloring, and high fructose corn syrup as a start and slowly take it from there.

Eta: I give a spoonful or raw organic honey sometimes. My kids love it and the health benefits are great.

amother
Opal

Post Sun, May 19 2024, 7:52 pm
I’m impressed that you’re trying but please make sure your kid isn’t the one begging all the other kids in class for their snacks

amother
Ginger

Post Sun, May 19 2024, 7:56 pm
amother Moonstone wrote:
My children are all off processed foods, but not all sugars since it is sometimes in the dishes I make.

Snacks are home made popcorn, muffins, cookies, and cakes, in addition to the foods mentioned above and fruits.
My kids are younger so they don't mind. But Bakol and Heaven & Earth have some very clean sugar free options.

Lunches are: brown rice pasta, falafel , gf pancakes, sourdough bread with different spreads, , potato latkes, Vegetable patties, Tuna patties and more.

Shabbos I buy some nosh but always clean. Solely has some really good fruit bits. If you feel your child, needs it then I would stick with Organic junk once a week. They are better because they don't have high fructose corn syrup or highly processed sugar

It'll be hard but I'm sure it's worth it if you're doing it to see a change in behavior.

If all of this is too much, I would remove anything that has msg, coloring, and high fructose corn syrup as a start and slowly take it from there.

Eta: I give a spoonful or raw organic honey sometimes. My kids love it and the health benefits are great.

You are inspiring! Can you share your recipe for the fruit leather & toffee?

amother
Cadetblue

Post Sun, May 19 2024, 8:05 pm
amother Opal wrote:
I’m impressed that you’re trying but please make sure your kid isn’t the one begging all the other kids in class for their snacks

Or even better,
The vegetable staved kids are swapping there snack with him because they want the carrots and cucumbers.

amother
Moonstone

Post Sun, May 19 2024, 8:11 pm
amother Ginger wrote:
You are inspiring! Can you share your recipe for the fruit leather & toffee?

fruit, leather: 3 cups of any fruit of your choice. Sweetener for taste, I Use maple syrup or honey.
Purée and put on baking sheet about 1/8 inch thick. Shake it out so it's even. Place in the oven on 150 for 6-8 hours until center is not tacky. Remove from oven and let cool to room temp before rolling them. Or eating them!

This is the toffee I make, I see now he calls it fudge Smile

https://www.medicalmedium.com/.....uares

Instead of vanilla bean I put vanilla extract.

amother
Tealblue

Post Sun, May 19 2024, 8:13 pm
amother Opal wrote:

Oddly enough when kids bring healthy snacks others want to bring it in too.

amother
Ginger

Post Sun, May 19 2024, 8:16 pm
amother Moonstone wrote:
fruit, leather: 3 cups of any fruit of your choice. Sweetener for taste, I Use maple syrup or honey.
Purée and put on baking sheet about 1/8 inch thick. Shake it out so it's even. Place in the oven on 150 for 6-8 hours until center is not tacky. Remove from oven and let cool to room temp before rolling them. Or eating them!

This is the toffee I make, I see now he calls it fudge Smile

https://www.medicalmedium.com/.....uares

Instead of vanilla bean I put vanilla extract.

Thanks! Can you give ideas of fruits/combos you did? Would plain plums be good?

amother
Moonstone

Post Sun, May 19 2024, 8:38 pm
amother Ginger wrote:
Thanks! Can you give ideas of fruits/combos you did? Would plain plums be good?

Yes but they have to be sweet enough. Peaches, watermelon, strawberries, blueberries. Anything really.

parsley

Post Sun, May 19 2024, 9:22 pm
amother Moonstone wrote:

I’m so impressed. It takes a lot of forethought, prep, and energy to maintain this lifestyle. Curious if you have yogurt in the house?

parsley

Post Sun, May 19 2024, 9:24 pm
amother Almond wrote:
A few thoughts:

Kid can't ask for treats you don't have. So don't buy what you don't want him to eat.

Unless child is diabetic or there is some serious health issue, don't go radical counting every gram of sugar in every condiment and food item. And don't make zero sugar a 24/7 in all situations rule.

I'll share what I do with my kids and have been successful with for many, many years:

We don't have sodas or candy in the house. Ever.
I don't tend to use sugar in dressings, marinades, sauces, etc. When I do it's a tiny bit of honey or something like that. Very little.

Snacks during the week are mostly fruits and veggies with a dip (hummus, techina, even peanut butter, etc.). Also some plain chips, crackers, rice cakes, pretzels. But not candy, cookies, cake, ice cream, etc.

On Shabbos I bake cake and/or cookies. Normal sweet stuff, but not obnoxiously sweet either. Sometimes will have store bought. Sometimes chocolates or ice cream. It's a time for treats. But not candy or soda. I really feel strongly that those things are nothing but sugar and chemicals with absolutely zero nutrition. Also if we go out to eat, which is rare, no rules.

I don't keep after my kids about what they get in school or at friends. Some of them have naturally adapted their tastes/ choices and avoid all the junk when out in the world. Others do eat candy and soda when they have the opportunities, but it seems to be in great moderation compared to many of their peers. I'm not and have never been militant about it. I think that always backfires.

I love how balanced you are. Can you share some tips to getting into such a lifestyle? Does it take a lot of prep?

amother
Hosta

Post Sun, May 19 2024, 9:39 pm
Almond - you sound like me!
We bring the 2 percent plain Greek yogurt into the house mixed with granola and I do allow chocolate chips. For a special treat once in a blue moon I’ll get the sugar yogurts with the choc toppings. During the week no candy but on shabbos we sometimes get a small platter with nuts, 2 types of candy and choc and the kids take a few. Some weeks we don’t bother. I bake muffins cake cookies with no white or brown sugar no white flour I only serve salmon with spices on top no marinades. Don’t bother with the gefilte. I started switching over to brown rice pasta and brown rice. I don’t mind what the kids eat in school but I don’t buy snacks with msg nothing with food coloring. Although the kids are allowed fruit loops/ fruity pebbles on shabbos only. They’re happy with the system during the week they don’t touch it and only have plain cheerios etc. I make my own tomato sauce for pizza.. started using the sourdough spelt bread for grilled cheese ( we never have white bread but wld do it for grilled cheese suppers only now we switched over completely and kids were fine) it’s taken about 2-3 years it’s not an overnight process. I never allowed soda or juice boxes/ fruit juice in to the house I do allow apple or orange juice by supper time if they want. Dessert they have homemade cookies or unsweetened applesauce or fruit.
My toddler who sees kids getting lollipops in school all the time and she herself eats nosh in school so she needs candy- I will let her have organic lollipops during the week once in awhile at home so she doesn’t feel deprived.

amother
Almond

Post Sun, May 19 2024, 9:53 pm
parsley wrote:
I love how balanced you are. Can you share some tips to getting into such a lifestyle? Does it take a lot of prep?

We did this from day one with our kids, so the transition was mine and DH's from before kids. And I just talk all the time to the kids about good food choices. I take them shopping with me. We look at labels. I show them the difference between a processed snack that has 3 ingredients vs. a processed snack with 15+ ingredients, many of which we cannot pronounce or identify. I let them pick out the fruits and veggies they like best and I let them participate in cooking and preparing snacks, creating new smoothie recipes, etc..

amother
DarkYellow

Post Thu, May 23 2024, 8:28 am
Op, how’s it going. I’m following to see if you’re able to take kid off sugar and If so, if you notice a difference in behavior. The idea is just so overwhelming to me but also have tried everything else so I don’t know what to do.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics