Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Teaching tsnius without judgement
Previous  1  2

honey bunny

Post Thu, May 23 2024, 7:56 pm
I tell my kids that some people never had the Chance to learn about torah and mitzvot in a way that we did/ get to do, but I'm sure IF they had the chance (with the proper hashkafa and love for the mitzvah) of course they would want to follow halacha! We are blessed to know what we know and have the opportunity to follow halacha appropriatey.

When it comes to tznuis or shabbos- there are clear halachos to follow. someone who isnt fully following can be considered growing.

When it comes to things that are more in between the lines like carrying on shabbos with a questionable eruv that's when I tell them that everyone follows their own rav.

amother
NeonBlue

Post Fri, May 24 2024, 5:34 am
When my kids were that age and in mixed environments, I stuck with “this is our family’s custom.” It wasn’t just tznius, it came up with kashrus and things on shabbos too. It helped that they also knew kids who were stricter than us so it wasn’t like they were the most “restricted.”

As they got older, I explained with more nuance. It actually forced me to learn the halachos in more depth because I couldn’t just say “this is Halacha, your friends aren’t keeping it” but also didn’t want them to feel like it was all the same and they could just choose what they did and didn’t follow.

zaq

Post Fri, May 24 2024, 8:14 am
amother Petunia wrote:
today's generation bc the world's morality has gone down
But they used to!

Not so. The late Queen Elizabeth, a class act if there ever was one (though I will never forgive her for refusing to visit Israel) as well as her counterparts in other countries and earlier generations, wore decollete and strapless gowns to gala occasions. Go to any art museum and check out the portraits of royal families, or go to Google Images and check out formal portraits of the late Queen.

And you do know that some cultures consider you a loose woman deserving of contempt because you go out in public with a naked face. (Makeup does not count as a face covering.)
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children