Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
S/o of tuition - cost of education in Israel

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 26 2024, 5:48 am
Obviously tuition is cheaper in Israel because the government pays for a chunk or all of it.

But I am curious, is the actual cost of education per student cheaper in Israel too? How much does it cost overall to educate a student, with government grants + tuition? How does that compare to the USA?

ora_43

Post Sun, May 26 2024, 6:19 am
It's a bit over half the cost.

Average spending per student in Israel: 28,639 per student. (per govt websites, as of 2022) (around $7,800)

In the US: $14,347. (per govt websites, as of 2023) (around 52,500 shekels)

I'm guessing most of the difference is due to salaries. Teachers earn $8,000 less per year on average here, and teach more students - average class size is something like 27 students here, vs more like 19-20 in the US.

amother
Fern

Post Sun, May 26 2024, 9:45 am
How are "averages" computed in Israel?

In the USA, a national average would be very deceptive since the amount spent per student would vary considerably based on a number of factors including the cost of living and the wealth of a community.

For example the cost in a small town in a poor place in Mississippi would be far less than the amount in Scarsdale or New York City - just an example.

Does the same extreme difference exist within Israel.

And is this for schools funded by the Israeli government?

amother
Azure

Post Sun, May 26 2024, 9:55 am
Leaving out any other factors, the Israeli school day is much shorter. So even if all other factors were equal, school would be cheaper because there are less hours to pay employees for.

amother
DarkGray

Post Sun, May 26 2024, 10:01 am
amother Azure wrote:
Leaving out any other factors, the Israeli school day is much shorter. So even if all other factors were equal, school would be cheaper because there are less hours to pay employees for.

This is true of yeshiva day school.
But if you compare public school hours in israel and out and other types of schools, the hours are pretty much the same.

amother
Oatmeal

Post Sun, May 26 2024, 10:03 am
amother Azure wrote:

Actually, this isn’t true. I compared length of day in yeshiva day school to chareidi school and when you factor in that in Israel there is school Sunday through Friday and some days there are longer days, it’s about the same. Maybe it’s better to compare yeshiva day schools in London and the states even though London is cheaper since it’s government subsidized.

amother
DarkGray

Post Sun, May 26 2024, 10:04 am
ora_43 wrote:
It's a bit over half the cost.

Average spending per student in Israel: 28,639 per student. (per govt websites, as of 2022) (around $7,800)

In the US: $14,347. (per govt websites, as of 2023) (around 52,500 shekels)

I'm guessing most of the difference is due to salaries. Teachers earn $8,000 less per year on average here, and teach more students - average class size is something like 27 students here, vs more like 19-20 in the US.

Is this from 1 - 12 grade?
My children have been in the mamad system. In elementary school the amounts are in the hundreds, almost nothing. In high school so far its been 5k a year. Im guessing this amount is for a specific education?

amother
Sage

Post Sun, May 26 2024, 10:05 am
amother Azure wrote:

We have school on Sunday, so the number of hours our kids are in school are pretty much the same.

amother
Sage

Post Sun, May 26 2024, 10:06 am
amother DarkGray wrote:
Is this from 1 - 12 grade?
My children have been in the mamad system. In elementary school the amounts are in the hundreds, almost nothing. In high school so far its been 5k a year. Im guessing this amount is for a specific education?

This is what it costs the government, not what you pay.

amother
DarkGray

Post Sun, May 26 2024, 10:07 am
amother Sage wrote:
We have school on Sunday, so the number of hours our kids are in school are pretty much the same.

But not every jewish school out of israel has school on fridays and sundays. Many do not.

amother
DarkGray

Post Sun, May 26 2024, 10:08 am
amother Sage wrote:
This is what it costs the government, not what you pay.

Thats what I was asking the poster I replied to. What is that number exactly?

amother
Azure

Post Sun, May 26 2024, 10:08 am
amother Sage wrote:

My boys have school on Sunday too.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics