Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health -> Toilet Training
Toilet training HEEEEEEEEEELLLLLLLLPPPPPPP
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 26 2024, 5:30 am
I tried two months ago with my 2.10 year old. It didn't work well. She didn't even realize when she's wet.
Now she's 3. She finally started realizing when she's wet, but still doesn't have the awareness BEFORE it happens.
I started again on Friday using the "training in less than a day" method. Not seeing much progress. HELP! She can only go to day camp if she's fully trained. same for school in september....

I feel like she's not fully ready to be trained, but I have no choice. She must go to daycamp... Any tips to make her more aware of her bodily functions to help her realize BEFORE she makes?

oneofakind

Post Sun, May 26 2024, 5:33 am
Have her wear a long T-shirt and no pull up or anything underneath.
It's really doing it again and again until she learns her body signals.
Stay calm, small rewards
Good luck

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 26 2024, 5:36 am
oneofakind wrote:
Have her wear a long T-shirt and no pull up or anything underneath.
It's really doing it again and again until she learns her body signals.
Stay calm, small rewards
Good luck

That's what I did two months ago for a WEEK Crying
This time we're doing wet pants vs. dry pants...
We're so calm and she keeps getting chocolate chips for staying dry, sitting calmly on the toilet and using the toilet... Crying Crying Crying

amother
Mauve

Post Sun, May 26 2024, 5:46 am
give loads of drinks so she pees like 10+ times a day (obv stay home). she will learn through the experiences. I believe in full clothes they feel the wet more.....
do low key activities so she's not super distracted and can maybe be a little more aware...reading, Lego etc.

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 26 2024, 7:06 am
amother Mauve wrote:
give loads of drinks so she pees like 10+ times a day (obv stay home). she will learn through the experiences. I believe in full clothes they feel the wet more.....
do low key activities so she's not super distracted and can maybe be a little more aware...reading, Lego etc.

That's what I'm doing this time. It's day 3 and not seeing progress:(

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 26 2024, 1:08 pm
How long does it normally take till the child "gets it"?

amother
Snowflake

Post Sun, May 26 2024, 1:15 pm
I’m sorry. My son just turned 2.5 and he needs to be trained for school and he doesn’t even tell me when he has a dirty diaper. What am I supposed to do

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 26 2024, 1:21 pm
amother Snowflake wrote:
I’m sorry. My son just turned 2.5 and he needs to be trained for school and he doesn’t even tell me when he has a dirty diaper. What am I supposed to do

My DD had the same issue. She's finally starting to get that part SOMETIMES! But no idea before she has to make...

#BestBubby

Post Sun, May 26 2024, 1:24 pm
Sometimes little kids don't have advance warning

But will make on command if you take them to toilet every 2 hours.

Would the morah tell kids to go to bathroom at regular intervals?

amother
Nasturtium

Post Sun, May 26 2024, 2:11 pm
If she can hold it in for some time, just take her every 45 mins to an hour. Don’t discuss it in between other than reminding her that her knickers should stay dry and clean and a reward after she goes to the toilet. You can stretch out the time as you see she does well and she will eventually ask to go. Poo will be another matter once the wee is done.

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 26 2024, 6:13 pm
#BestBubby wrote:
Sometimes little kids don't have advance warning

But will make on command if you take them to toilet every 2 hours.

Would the morah tell kids to go to bathroom at regular intervals?

she doesn't necessarily make when I sit her onto the toilet or when she sits herself on the toilet...

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 26 2024, 6:14 pm
amother Nasturtium wrote:
If she can hold it in for some time, just take her every 45 mins to an hour. Don’t discuss it in between other than reminding her that her knickers should stay dry and clean and a reward after she goes to the toilet. You can stretch out the time as you see she does well and she will eventually ask to go. Poo will be another matter once the wee is done.

She doesn't necessarily hold it in, nor does she use the bathroom when she sits there. It's a hit or miss.... She's spent lots of time on the toilet the past three days, so sometimes she made there and sometimes on the floor...

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 26 2024, 6:15 pm
I feel that honestly she isn't ready for this (although she is extremely motivated bh), but I have no choice but to do it now.
How can I make her more aware of her bodily signals?

amother
Forsythia

Post Sun, May 26 2024, 8:23 pm
Keep a close eye on her and as soon as you notice her wetting herself, pick her up and put her on the toilet. I used this method from potty training in 3 days by Brandi Brooks and it worked well

amother
Papayawhip

Post Sun, May 26 2024, 8:26 pm
my daughter is finally getting it now and she turnd 3 in jan.
her morahs insisted I start last year when she was 2.3 and I knew she wasnt ready. its been a year of toilet training I was going crazy. last week it just cliqued

amother
Yolk

Post Sun, May 26 2024, 8:36 pm
You need to make her aware. Put her in light clothing not jeans or other heavy pants. When she wets herself show her and let her feel her wet pants and the puddle on the floor and tell her over and over uh oh you had an accident you made on the floor by mistake next time we’re going to make on the toilet. Repeat repeat repeat. Eventually she’ll understand. I did that with my daughter whom many of you would say was too young to be toilet trained.

#BestBubby

Post Mon, May 27 2024, 11:03 am
OP, do you give a jelly bean if she makes in the toilet?

Do you use a toilet seat or a potty?

A potty might be better for helping kids relax and make, with their feet on solid ground.

yellowroses

Post Mon, May 27 2024, 11:23 am
My son was 3 1/2 when we finally succeeded ( I think it was our third attempt).
This method helped us enormously.

https://busytoddler.com/potty-training/

Good luck and hang in there!

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 27 2024, 6:06 pm
Thank you all for your replies. I'll respond here, instead of quoting everyone separately.
I'm keeping a close eye on her. (I sent my other kids out for the bulk of the past 3 days.)
She's not wearing heavy pants. I make her feel her wet pants (and change herself). She's using a potty. She gets a chocolate every time she makes in the toilet (and a chocolate chip every time she checks and is dry).
I'll check out that site @yellowroses.

Today was a rough day. She went to school and wasn't very successful. Her teachers were fabulous about helping her Crying I feel so sorry for her
Thank you all.

miami85

Post Mon, May 27 2024, 6:46 pm
The "knowing you need to go" is triggered by a hormone and hormones develop on a very individual basis, you can't train "hormones". One of my kids I thought would take forever to train and his birthday is in November (September cutoff) so I thought he'd never get ready before school started, and then during the summer before school started, it just clicked. Most of my kids trained fully around 3.5 without the "running them to the bathroom"--when they were ready it just kind of happened. (my eldest took the longest, he was about 4 had some other special needs as well, but once he figured it out it he went cold-turkey)
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Children's Health -> Toilet Training