Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> In the News
Media Biased?

Miss Missie

Post Sun, Sep 14 2008, 11:03 pm
I would like to keep this non-partisan Smile

Did anyone watch ABC's interview with Sarah Palin? Do you think Charlie Gibson was biased?

mimivan

Post Sun, Sep 14 2008, 11:08 pm
Quote:
I would like to keep this non-partisan

Good luck! LOL

(didn't have a tv, so didn't see it. But I am sure the Dems will probably say no he wasn't biased and the Republicans will probably tell you he was biased...just a hunch.)

Miss Missie

Post Sun, Sep 14 2008, 11:14 pm
lol-you made me laugh. I started this post because I watched an interview on ABC where they kind of like broke down the Palin interview and this reporter was like, no Charlie wasn't tough he was just asking straight questions.

Btw, mimi, I watched it online on abcnews.com.

mimivan

Post Sun, Sep 14 2008, 11:39 pm
Why not put the link here?

Miss Missie

Post Sun, Sep 14 2008, 11:51 pm
nee nee... http://abcnews.go.com/Video/pl.....93131

mimivan

Post Mon, Sep 15 2008, 12:10 am
I thought he was fair..

I like her sheitel btw LOL Wink

ChossidMom

Post Mon, Sep 15 2008, 2:41 am
Wow. She's GOOD. What poise. Not one bumble.

I don't know if he was biased. He just didn't pootzy mootzy her. He made her answer the questions very specifically.

She's really good on camera!

Tzippora

Post Mon, Sep 15 2008, 7:13 am
He asked real questions and demanded real answers- which I didn't think she gave. She certainly had poise, but showed a real lack of familiarity with some important issues. She had canned answers that she had trouble adapting to his more probing questions.

I understand why people would have preferred he define the Bush Doctrine beforehand - but even once he did she didn't seem to pick up on the nuance of the issues involved.

Miss Missie

Post Mon, Sep 15 2008, 9:30 pm
He didn't have to define the Bush Doctrine, you're right, she should have picked it up. I read that if you take any hundred people in the white house and ask them what it is they wouldn't know either. I was annoyed at the intimidating way he told her 'I'm getting lost in a blizzard of words here'. I thought she was quite articulately answering like a politician Smile

Tzippora

Post Mon, Sep 15 2008, 9:41 pm
Nope, completely disagree. That wasn't politician like at all... not nearly skillful enough. Politicians make facetious or fallacious arguments - she made no argument at all. Hence, the blizzard of words comment.

He wasn't intimidating, she was trying to hide ignorance by saying nothing.

Clarissa

Post Mon, Sep 15 2008, 9:46 pm
I once had to interview bank executives. I went in pretty ill-informed about the business, and tried to bluff my way through it. Most of them went along with it, but one guy asked me what I meant and I had no idea. When I see her being interviewed, it reminds me of that job.

costanza

Post Mon, Sep 15 2008, 9:53 pm
I have always liked Charlie Gibson (he used to be called Charlie back when he was on Good Morning America - now he's Charles), but I absolutely found him to have a definite attitude during that interview. It wasn't so much what he asked her, but his facial expressions and body language that conveyed a real sense of disdain for Sarah Palin.

In terms of the Bush Doctrine contoversy, read Charles Krauthammer's most recent article and you'll see an opinion that it was Charlie Gibson who was wrong on what the doctrine really is.

Clarissa

Post Mon, Sep 15 2008, 9:57 pm
ChossidMom wrote:

I don't know if he was biased. He just didn't pootzy mootzy her. He made her answer the questions very specifically.

She didn't answer a single question specifically. For instance, she couldn't answer the question about the economy, and Gibson asked it about five times. All she kept saying is how they're going to look into efficiencies, inefficiencies, and, hey, how about those efficiencies? Then she launched into families, being a Washington outsider, etc. She didn't answer a single question, from what I could see.

I like politicians to seem at least as intelligent as non-politicians. I've found McCain pretty charming and intelligent. She doesn't come off as terribly well-informed.

I don't think Gibson demonstrated disdain. I think he demonstrated the frustration of an interviewer not getting questions answered. I imagine he wanted to throttle her at various points.

costanza

Post Mon, Sep 15 2008, 10:06 pm
But all of the candidates and all politicians have a pattern of glossy answers. I don't think I' ve seen Barack Obama answer anything specific either - other than to blame Bush and say he'll change things.
I don't think any of them are going to come through on too many of their promises because the economic situation is so bleak. There won't be any money left to implement any of the changes they both say they want.

Clarissa

Post Mon, Sep 15 2008, 10:13 pm
I didn't find her answers glossy. I found them decidedly glossless. She didn't seem to have any answers, glossy or otherwise. The other three come off much better and well-informed.

Tzippora

Post Mon, Sep 15 2008, 10:29 pm
Clarissa wrote:
ChossidMom wrote:

She didn't answer a single question specifically. For instance, she couldn't answer the question about the economy, and Gibson asked it about five times. All she kept saying is how they're going to look into efficiencies, inefficiencies, and, hey, how about those efficiencies? Then she launched into families, being a Washington outsider, etc. She didn't answer a single question, from what I could see.

I like politicians to seem at least as intelligent as non-politicians. I've found McCain pretty charming and intelligent. She doesn't come off as terribly well-informed.

I don't think Gibson demonstrated disdain. I think he demonstrated the frustration of an interviewer not getting questions answered. I imagine he wanted to throttle her at various points.

I know I certainly did, and I didn't even get to the economics portion of the interview. You're completely right about not being specific or showing insight into the issues.

I agree with you about the other three, with the exception of McCain, who doesn't seem to know a lot about economics. (can you tell I'm an econ junkie? Does anyone have a burning desire to discuss Lehman?) That worries me - especially with so much of economics and tax policy requiring a good grasp of the subject and a good feel for the right kind of advisors. But even McCain is conversant in the subject, thanks to osmosis if nothing else.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics