Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene
Good Comebacks and Answers!
Previous  1  2

Pearl

Post Wed, Nov 30 2005, 9:16 am
technic wrote:
this is SUCH a great thread Very Happy
it really is!!!

He*Sings*To*Me

Post Wed, Nov 30 2005, 9:46 am
A few months after giving birth to my 3rd child in almost as many years married, my husband and I were attending an event one evening at a local conservative shul here (keep in mind where we live...the fact that there are any Jews here is amazing). Being that my husband's family has been in this city for 7 generations, alot of the older people who know the family well and remember socializing with his grandparents, take liberties with their comments that I think are invasive and completely inappropriate. (They just simply are not thinking how what they say sounds by my ears.) Comments about the number of children we bringing into this world were abundant. One such comment was particularly crude, in regards to my husband taking measures against adding any more children to our family: "(my husband's name used as a child, with the "y" added, which he dropped usage of as an adult.), don't you think it's about time you look into having that Thing fixed?" I was no longer niddah, embraced my husband around the waist, and said in a purposeful, pseudo-Southern drawl, "You know, I've always heard that if it ain't broken, don't try fixing it. I assure you, Sir, that the equipment is workin' just fine!" With that, the alter chacher (sp?) turned red, and walked away. Funny thing is, no one has made one comment to us regarding our fertility ever since!

Rivk

Post Wed, Nov 30 2005, 10:22 am
You sure have guts! LOL

buba123

Post Wed, Nov 30 2005, 12:12 pm
He*Sings*To*Me wrote:
"You know, I've always heard that if it ain't broken, don't try fixing it. I assure you, Sir, that the equipment is workin' just fine!"

You are great!!!!! You had me LOL for 10 minutes!! Love your guts!!! LOL

ElTam

Post Wed, Nov 30 2005, 1:03 pm
Here's one I got a lot when I was PG and I never knew what to say, "Wow! You're huge!"

shanie5

Post Wed, Nov 30 2005, 5:50 pm
eitam- a comment like that deserves a real rude response.
"and your tactless"
"Your mouth is bigger"
"I may be big, but your ugky-and I will lose this weight-will you lose your ugly?"
"I'm FULL of LOVE"
"gee, ya think?"

shayna82

Post Wed, Nov 30 2005, 5:59 pm
shanie lol on those !!!

if someone said "wow your big" to me, which they have before.. I say, is that a compliment or an insult? usually they get the idea after that... or, would you say that to someone who is overweight?

I cant stand it when im pregnant everyone thinks they have to talk about your body, like your watiing for everyone to brin git on

buba123

Post Wed, Nov 30 2005, 7:25 pm
How about when people touch your belly? That happened to me too many times to count. Perfect strangers too Rolling Eyes
What do you say then??

miriam

Post Wed, Nov 30 2005, 7:42 pm
I also don't like when strangers touch my children. My husband is very matter of fact and says, please don't touch her. I am not as brave. I just try to inch away and avoid it when I see it coming.

stem

Post Wed, Nov 30 2005, 7:49 pm
ElTam wrote:
Here's one I got a lot when I was PG and I never knew what to say, "Wow! You're huge!"

Politely say "Thank You" and roll eyes. Rolling Eyes

Tefila

Post Wed, Nov 30 2005, 8:47 pm
If someone goes to touch u'r preg belly or does. just answer "do u mind thats mine, touch u'rs if u want" Tongue Out

tzivi

Post Wed, Nov 30 2005, 8:53 pm
buba123 wrote:
How about when people touch your belly? That happened to me too many times to count. Perfect strangers too Rolling Eyes
What do you say then??

I just say, "I charge a dollar for people to look and five dollars for people to touch!!) You should see their faces! embarrassed

hadasa

Post Thu, Dec 01 2005, 10:25 am
happymom wrote:
Quote:

Someone asked me "Will you ever decide to stop having children?" I answered "Both my husband and I were born when our mothers were past forty,

I wouldnt even tell them any reasons. I would just say "Who knows the future" or "I guess well find out"... or something like that....

BTW, he wasn't being nasty, he was genuinely interested in the Orthodox perspective.

ElTam

Post Thu, Dec 01 2005, 12:56 pm
FOr touching, I found that a quick step backwards and a dirty look almost always elicits and apology..and you just have to hope they won't do it to someone else.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics