Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Meat
Sliced meat roast w. mushrooms and onions (stovetop recipe)

pinkbubbles

Post Fri, Sep 19 2008, 9:17 am
This recipe requires the meat to be marinated overnight and its a tiny bit of potchke, but its worth it. I just got it from my cousin and its one of those yummy 'family recipes' that you won't find in a cookbook. Pretty simple with the ingridients.

You'll need
A roast, enough for 6-8 people (at the meat store here its called bola. Its sort of flat and does not have strings around it)
2-3 onions
A lot of mushrooms (I filled up almost a whole bag in the veg store)
Bay leaves
Black pepper
Tumeric
Sugar
Oil
Water

(this first part you can do the next day becaue you add it last, but I did it first so I wouldn't have to do all this slicing and sauteing tomorrow)

Slice up one onion and all the mushrooms. Saute them together and set them aside to use to add to the roast later on after the meat is marinated.

Slice and saute the onion (one or two). This you will use now.

Take a big pot and boil the bola with: a bunch of bay leaves - like 8 or 10, the sauted onion, tumeric (just sprinkle over the top of the roast til its covered), black pepper - pour water over the spices and the roast until its about 1/2 covered with water.

Boil for 2-3 hours til its soft. Let cool and put it in the fridge to marinate overnight.

In the morning, slice up the roast. Put it to the side. Don't throw out the water that the meat was sitting in.
If you haven't made the mushroom & onion sauted mixture, do it now.

In another big pot you will be making a sauce made of:

1/2 cup oil - seems a lot to me so I added less
2 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon tumeric
black pepper
1 cup water

boil together and add the sliced meat to the mixture. Add the water from before that the meat was in. Add the sauted mushrooms and onions you made before on top of the slices. Cook together for about 30 minutes.

Done!

Let me know if you think its worth it- I do!!!

I just made it with 2 roasts, doubling everything. So yum!

yo'ma

Post Fri, Sep 19 2008, 9:54 am
Is it sweet? Good for r"h?

pinkbubbles

Post Fri, Sep 19 2008, 10:14 am
It is a savory dish, but the sugar gives it very slight sweet taste. I would make this for Sukkot more than RH

yo'ma

Post Fri, Sep 19 2008, 10:15 am
pinkbubbles wrote:
It is a savory dish, but the sugar gives it very slight sweet taste. I would make this for Sukkot more than RH

Okay, thanks, then I'll save it for then.

rachel19977

Post Sun, Sep 28 2008, 12:29 pm
picture please!

Very Happy

pinkbubbles

Post Sun, Sep 28 2008, 2:09 pm
Sorry, its all eaten up.. or frozen!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics