Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads
Great Challah Recipe for breadmaker

rachel6543

Post Sun, Aug 10 2008, 8:59 pm
This is a very yummy, sweet challah bread recipe for the breadmaker. I get compliments on it all the time and thought I'd share the recipe here.

1 cup warm water
1/2 cup white sugar
1 tablespoon honey (you can add extra if you want)
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 1/2 teaspoons salt
2 eggs
4 - 5 cups bread flour
2 1/4 teaspoons bread machine yeast

1. Place warm water, sugar, honey, vegetable oil, salt, 2 eggs, flour and yeast in the pan of the bread machine in the order recommended by the manufacturer. Select Dough cycle; press Start.
After the machine is done, take the dough out, and place it on a very lightly floured board, punch the dough down, and let rest for 5 minutes.

2. Braid dough in loaves. Let rise for 1 to 1 1/2 hours in a warm, draft free place. I recommend cooking bread loaves on parchment paper.

4. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). In a small bowl, beat together 1 egg and 1 tablespoon water. Brush risen loaves with egg mixture. Bake in preheated oven for about 20 minutes.

This recipe is really yummy with raisins or chocolate chips. Also, this is a great challah bread to make french toast with.

This bread freezes really well.

Also, this recipe is good using 1 cup of whole wheat flour to replace one of the cups of bread flour.

myboys

Post Sun, Aug 17 2008, 2:08 am
I made it this shabbos and it was deeelicious!!!!!! I've been looking for a great recipe, and I think this may be it! thanks! Smile

Taliaville

Post Sun, Sep 28 2008, 10:01 pm
I tried this tonight, made it gluten free, and it is wonderful! Very Happy Thanks so much for the recipe!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads