Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Cakes, Cookies, and Muffins
No margarine

greenfire

Post Fri, Aug 22 2008, 9:15 am
hey ... so what's with this no margarine recipe queries ... how about if you just don't put margarine in ... simply replace it with shortening or oil ... What

Tamiri

Post Fri, Aug 22 2008, 9:16 am
I don't like to substitute, I want an original oil recipe tested by someone else because some recipes don't take well to the substitutions. Like my favorite parve pound cake, probably never to be made again. It was my signature cake for years....

Ima'la

Post Fri, Aug 22 2008, 9:17 am
What do you gain by using shortening instead of margarine?

greenfire

Post Fri, Aug 22 2008, 9:20 am
can't stand the taste or smell of margarine or butter for that matter ... some would say I'm allergic ... others - well I can't divulge that info ... suffice it to say I do not have any in my home ... Puke Puke Puke

Tamiri

Post Fri, Aug 22 2008, 9:22 am
Ima'la wrote:
What do you gain by using shortening instead of margarine?

Margarine is so horrible for you that even animals won't eat it. It clings to your arteries and clogs them up. It can't be digested by the body.
And that's just for starters.
You can read up on trans fats and find out more.
Note that I wrote OIL not shortening. I could not use that on a good day, it makes me ill to look at.

greenfire

Post Fri, Aug 22 2008, 9:50 am
why would you never make a recipe again because of margarine ... tam tam - replace it with oil only use a little less since liquid goes farther than solids ...

Tamiri

Post Fri, Aug 22 2008, 10:11 am
I have a lot of recipes that I loved but am not going to make because of the margarine (it really won't be the same without it) and/or corn syrup. In addition, the margarine in Israeli is absolutely disgusting so making the decision to go margarine free has been pretty easy. Is Fleischmann's parve the same as it always was? And available on sale for 99 cents Very Happy ?

BTW I am NOT tossing the beloved recipes, I will leave them so my heirs can throw them out when I am gone. But I DID get rid of a lot of recipes today (making room for the new ones I am indexing from my fridge) among them: quite a few recipes utilizing Idahoan potato flakes (potato flake marzipans, anyone?) and a bunch of them with Crisco as the fat - from Crisco of course. That stuff truly made me ill to look at, but hey - I got the recipe cards free. Now, alas, it's time to say bye-bye! Out with the old, in with the new.

shopaholic

Post Fri, Aug 22 2008, 10:49 am
Green - I always think of you as I add margarine to my recipes!!

greenfire

Post Fri, Aug 22 2008, 10:55 am
shopaholic wrote:
Green - I always think of you as I add margarine to my recipes!!

gee thanks ... Puke Puke Nervous (I'm not laughing those are convulsions)

In the kitchen

Post Tue, Oct 07 2008, 12:09 pm
Sorry to bump this up, I just noticed this thread and I have to pitch in.

I won't use margarine because of how bad it is for you either. But oil is not always a suitable substitue in recipes, therefore I suggest replacing margarine with mayonaisse in equal amounts. (My mil and all sils also do this)

Before you go "eww...", just remember that mayonaisse is only a bit of egg, a bit of vinegar, smidge of salt and alot of oil. But it's consistency is much more similar to that of margarine making it a very able replacement. Also if you make your own mayonaisse for baking purposes you can leave out the vinegar. The standard at home mayonaisse recipe is 2 eggs in food mixer at high speed, slowly slowly add in the oil with the mixer still at high speed, it will firm up, then add 2 tblsp vinegar and a teaspoon of salt. You can omit the vinegar and salt for baking mayonaisse.

If you substitute mayonaisse for margarine in a recipe don't change the rest of the recipe along with it, meaning don't count on that smidgeon of egg present in the mayo as part of the egg for your recipe etc.

Happy and healthy cooking to all! Smile

greenfire

Post Tue, Oct 07 2008, 12:15 pm
mayo sounds interesting ... gonna have to try that one ...

DefyGravity

Post Tue, Oct 07 2008, 12:15 pm
I'd use a little bit of oil and substitute the rest for applesauce rather than use mayo. All you're doing is adding more eggs and oil to the recipe. How much better is that than using oil?

For cakes, I substitute all the oil for applesauce and you can't taste the difference - at least with the cakes that I make. Cookies aren't as good with the applesauce substitution.

chavy

Post Tue, Oct 07 2008, 12:19 pm
there is a new shortening its called PALM OIL its alot more healthier it has no transfat and is actually good for cholestorel. so use this instead of margerine.
all the groceries have it in stock by now.

DefyGravity

Post Tue, Oct 07 2008, 12:26 pm
Olive oil doesn't have trans fat in it either and at least it also has heart healthy fats in it as well.

Palm oil shortening has 4g more of saturated fat than olive oil and lots less monounsaturated fat.

Tamiri

Post Tue, Oct 07 2008, 12:29 pm
chavy wrote:
there is a new shortening its called PALM OIL its alot more healthier it has no transfat and is actually good for cholestorel. so use this instead of margerine.
all the groceries have it in stock by now.

I think that any unnatural oil (that leaves butter out) which is solid at room temp. is dangerous. Is this a solid shortening? We have dekel (palm) margarine here in Israel for Pesach and it's known as "the killer". What do they say about Palm Oil? If it's solid, how do they get it that way?

DefyGravity

Post Tue, Oct 07 2008, 12:30 pm
http://www.tropicaltraditions......CTmFA

chavy

Post Tue, Oct 07 2008, 12:30 pm
but if u need a shortening palm oil is better.. olive oil is only a oil not a shortening

In the kitchen

Post Tue, Oct 07 2008, 12:40 pm
yoy, I left out the rest of the mayo recipe. Its 3 cups oil to 2 eggs. 2 tblsp vinegar and 1 teas salt.

Defy, the reason I find it better than oil is because of the consistency, otherwise sometimes oil is not compatible with a recipe and makes it flop. Also since it is made mostly of oil you still get the fat and flavor.

I make mine out of canola, its the best for making mayonaisse. Otherwise in cooking I use only olive oil, but for mayonaisse its not cost effective and doesn't firm up in blending as well as canola. For price along with healthy fats canola is the best oil you can find. (Barring price factors, I advocate peanut, olive, sunflower and coconut oil.)

I'll have to look into this palm shortening thing....sounds good but I just hope it isn't one of those things that a few years later they look back and say "oops...because we do this and this to it it's actually quite bad for you..." Confused

DefyGravity

Post Tue, Oct 07 2008, 12:53 pm
I generally don't bake things if they don't come out well with the applesauce substitution. It's just not worth it to add fat with something that's so unecessary.

ShakleeMom

Post Tue, Oct 07 2008, 4:30 pm
Thanks to the wonderful people on this forum, I replaced 2 sticks of margarine (1 cup) with 7 oz. of oil, or – to make life easier, fill a 7 oz. plastic cup with oil, to the rim for every 2 sticks (or cup) of margarine in your recipe.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Cakes, Cookies, and Muffins