Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur
What do you give the children for lunch on YK?

cubbie

Post Sat, Oct 04 2008, 11:19 pm
They usually eat a hot meal for lunch, but I don't really want to put the platter on, any ideas of what to give them for lunch that is cold and filling?

Tamiri

Post Sat, Oct 04 2008, 11:25 pm
They "should" eat a yomtov meal, but in my house no kid ever wants anything but cold cereal, sandwich etc. Not very YT-dik, but I am not going to argue. My mother always had a blech up and gave us a good hot YT meal.
You can give them cold sliced meat/chicken with potato salad or pasta salad with vegetables. Cold carrot kugel. Etc.
If you want to be creative, you can put up a chicken soup in the crock pot with all the food groups "built in" but you won't be able to taste and make sure it's good.

mimivan

Post Sat, Oct 04 2008, 11:28 pm
Mine love egg and potato salad. I'll have some buns and fruit for them for b'fast, egg and potato salad for lunch with cole slaw and whatever we are eating for dinner.

Marion

Post Sat, Oct 04 2008, 11:29 pm
Leftovers from the seudah mafseket.

shalhevet

Post Sun, Oct 05 2008, 12:43 am
Marion wrote:

Me too.

Cubbie, why don't you want to leave the platta on? I just heat up food on there a couple of hours before eating, just like on Shabbos.

cubbie

Post Sun, Oct 05 2008, 1:49 am
shalhevet wrote:
Marion wrote:

Me too.

Cubbie, why don't you want to leave the platta on? I just heat up food on there a couple of hours before eating, just like on Shabbos.

I always think it's not worth it for 2 little kids who eat like birds anyway!
We always eat moroccan couscous so anyway I can't heat the soup, I guess I'll give them the couscous and some of the cold chicken from the soup, that they'll eat cold and some tomato and cucumber with it.

yOungM0mmy

Post Sun, Oct 05 2008, 1:55 am
My mother always made a cholent, with either meat or hotdogs in it. Can you do that in a crockpot, so that u dont have to have the whole plata on?

drumjj

Post Sun, Oct 05 2008, 2:16 am
my kid will be in shul so it will be sandwiches that I will take before hand I think.

lili

Post Sun, Oct 05 2008, 2:23 am
in my house we always had cold pastrami, potato chips, pickels, veggies we used to love it!!

karen berzon

Post Sun, Oct 05 2008, 2:59 am
Deli is the easiest, cleanest, etc.

I make chicken cutlets for the seuda mafsekes and the kids eat that too on Yom Kippur

Fabulous

Post Sun, Oct 05 2008, 3:08 am
I remember eating gefilte fish with challah during the break when we came home from shul (I must have been about 10).

miriam

Post Sun, Oct 05 2008, 11:36 am
I boil noodles before Yontif. On Yontif, I mix noodles, canned salmon or tuna, pickles and nayonaisse (soy mayonaisse). This is what I served them last year for lunch and it worked well.

greenfire

Post Sun, Oct 05 2008, 11:44 am
when they were little was always bagels & cream cheese with lox ... they can make it themselves ...

goodheart

Post Sun, Oct 05 2008, 11:48 am
I usally make salami sandwitch and I make before yom tov pasta salad
and if they daont want that I cook up some hard boiled eggs and yogurts

miriamnechama

Post Thu, Oct 09 2008, 9:05 pm
sandwiches

ss321

Post Thu, Oct 09 2008, 10:06 pm
sandwich, bamba, (I send with him) plus some rugelech and cookies by a cousin who babysat

mamacita

Post Fri, Oct 10 2008, 1:53 am
I served cold chicken wings. dd wouldn't eat but ds did. Nothing I could have predicted because dd's opinions chnge more frequently than her nappies!

BennysMommy

Post Fri, Oct 10 2008, 1:56 am
I gave Benny peanut butter sandwiches....and then bissli. He also ate a lot of cholent about an hour later. He didn't eat anything with us when we broke the fast. He was too busy running around Bubby's house playing with his cousins!

NativeMom

Post Fri, Oct 10 2008, 6:18 am
I also gave my son a peanut butter sandwich and yogurt. It was easy and quick and I really wasn't feeling well. Usually I don't have a hard time fasting but this year it was different...
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur