Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Cakes, Cookies, and Muffins
Shortening in Israel?
Previous  1  2

Marion

Post Mon, Dec 01 2008, 6:29 am
I also took the Wilton classes (when I was here already). Like I said, the margarine works, but I hate the taste, so I bite the bullet and pay for shortening.

chanchy123

Post Mon, Dec 01 2008, 6:30 am
Marion wrote:
There's no store name, but I can give you directions.

If you're coming from Yaffo, it's on the UNCOVERED side. You enter through security and it's on the left, about 5 stores down (I think). It's nestled in among a few stores that sell juice and other drinks. The front entry is very, very narrow and has an assortment of dried fruit & nuts on the cash side. When you enter the store, all the baking stuff (corn starch, cocoa, potato starch, and icing sugar) on on the shelves to your left, over open bags of dried beans and grains. The icing sugar is a brand called "Premium" (usually); a yellow bag with red printing. Read carefully! All the products of that brand have the same packaging!

I think your talking about Hakol LaOfeh V'Gam Cafe הכל לאופה וגם קפה

Marriedinisrael

Post Mon, Dec 01 2008, 6:31 am
Thanks Chanchy- it's actually the Wilton recipe I posted- I learnt from an expert in my former community in Chul.
I have tried margarine in the past- again- much thicker, but hopefully, with enough water/soymilk, it should do fine...

Marriedinisrael

Post Mon, Dec 01 2008, 6:33 am
Oh and Marion- I would gladly use the Crisco- I have some in the house- just I'm baking for someone who specifically uses only Badatz ingredients- no OU's allowed!
I sell some of my goods- so I'm trying to use only Badatz- mostly it's not a problem, but here it suddenly can make/break a cake.

Marion

Post Mon, Dec 01 2008, 6:34 am
No comment. I might be banned.

Marion

Post Mon, Dec 01 2008, 6:35 am
chanchy123 wrote:
Marion wrote:

If you're coming from Yaffo, it's on the UNCOVERED side. You enter through security and it's on the left, about 5 stores down (I think). It's nestled in among a few stores that sell juice and other drinks. The front entry is very, very narrow and has an assortment of dried fruit & nuts on the cash side. When you enter the store, all the baking stuff (corn starch, cocoa, potato starch, and icing sugar) on on the shelves to your left, over open bags of dried beans and grains. The icing sugar is a brand called "Premium" (usually); a yellow bag with red printing. Read carefully! All the products of that brand have the same packaging!

No, actually, I'm not. That was Mizrachi, and they no longer carry the baking products. And they were certainly not in that location. Mizrachi is now cafe only, and they are much farther down, in an alley between the covered & uncovered part of the shuk.

chanchy123

Post Mon, Dec 01 2008, 11:20 am
Marion wrote:
chanchy123 wrote:
Marion wrote:

No, actually, I'm not. That was Mizrachi, and they no longer carry the baking products. And they were certainly not in that location. Mizrachi is now cafe only, and they are much farther down, in an alley between the covered & uncovered part of the shuk.

Thanx for the info. I'll have to check out your place next time I'm in the shuk.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Cakes, Cookies, and Muffins