Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
8 month old eating everything around

m0m

Post Wed, Dec 10 2008, 6:16 am
Hi, my son is 8 months old and he is eating everything from the floor. Anything within his reach. He crawls everywhere and grabs whatever he sees and puts it in his mouth. He even tips over the garbage. Is there anything to do about it. It makes me so upset I yell at him so much. I sweep and clean all day- but there is only a certain amount that you can do. He's gotten dangerous little things in his mouth and choked. My older daughter hasn't ever put things in her mouth so I don't know how to deal with this. Someone please help me out here with any information. Question [I]

Last edited by m0m on Thu, Jan 08 2009, 10:48 am; edited 1 time in total

anonymom

Post Wed, Dec 10 2008, 6:26 am
Don't be upset at him. He is only a baby doing what he is programmed to do. It is totally normal. Sweep up as well as you can, although food crumbs will not hurt him. Just keep dangerous objects like marbles, batteries, small toys, etc. out of reach. You can give him teething toys, although he may be more interested in exploring, which is a good thing. Be happy he is healthy, active and inquisitive.

anonymom

Post Wed, Dec 10 2008, 6:27 am
Oh, I forgot to say, for years we kept the garbage on a chair. Now I got a really large one on wheels that a baby can't reach into.

m0m

Post Wed, Dec 10 2008, 6:32 am
Thank you- I know this. I know it sounds terrible that I get upset. I just don't want him to hurt himself and he is a baby and doesn't know what he is doing- and I cant make it stop. he finds dangerous things- my cabinets are locked but if my older son takes something out that is dangerous- before I can see it- he gets hold of it. Can a person make it stop or teach them that it is bad? that's really what I want to know.

anonymom

Post Wed, Dec 10 2008, 7:22 am
For years when we had babies, all dangerous objects simply disappeared. It was a way of life, and we got used to it. My eyes would automatically scan the floor for small objects when I entered a room. My youngest is over two now and I am still terrified of marbles and those small batteries. When the older kids bring them home, I make them disappear.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics