Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
Cats got to my stroller

amother

Post Tue, Feb 03 2009, 10:58 am
amother because I'm embarrassed.
my baby got a really bad rash on his face and we didn't know what it came from but dr. prescribed all sorts of creams.
Now I just smelled my stroller after picking up my baby and it smells like the cats made on it. -we must have left it outside.

now how do I clean it properly - I just through it in the shower and poured on it toilet cleaner and washed with hot water and then rubbed with baby soap to give it a better smell - How would you clean it?
this is gross and I can't believe I put the baby in without noticing. I feel so guilty about it.

BeershevaBubby

Post Tue, Feb 03 2009, 11:00 am
As a former cat owner I can say.... unless you can strip every scrap of fabric and foam off the carriage and send it through the wash a few times, nothing is going to get rid of the smell.

PM Catonmylap if she doesn't respond to this...

HindaRochel

Post Tue, Feb 03 2009, 11:08 am
amother wrote:
amother because I'm embarrassed.
my baby got a really bad rash on his face and we didn't know what it came from but dr. prescribed all sorts of creams.
Now I just smelled my stroller after picking up my baby and it smells like the cats made on it. -we must have left it outside.

now how do I clean it properly - I just through it in the shower and poured on it toilet cleaner and washed with hot water and then rubbed with baby soap to give it a better smell - How would you clean it?
this is gross and I can't believe I put the baby in without noticing. I feel so guilty about it.

I wouldn't have washed it with toilet cleaner I think that may be worse for your baby than cat pee.
I would have scrubbed it with bleach, let the bleach dry, the washed it off again. Maybe you could recover it at this point. Could you call the company and get a new seat cover? It may be worth it.

Why feel guilty? Because you left it outside? You have no reason to feel guilty at all.

mommalah

Post Tue, Feb 03 2009, 11:24 am
I had a situation where one of my daughters had an accident on the couch. I took the couch covers off and tried everything under the sun to get it out. Nothing worked until I tried Sol U Mel from Melaleuca full strength on it. It was amazing. You could just buy plain tea tree oil and dilute with water. There are also special formulas out there to specifically get out cat urine. Just google it.

amother

Post Tue, Feb 03 2009, 12:10 pm
I'm embarrassed because I caused my baby a rash and to be uncomfortable by it without noticing.
you would put bleach on a gray and white stroller?
It's really old and needs replacing - but I have not replaced it yet - I doubt I can get a new cover.

HindaRochel

Post Tue, Feb 03 2009, 1:13 pm
amother wrote:
I'm embarrassed because I caused my baby a rash and to be uncomfortable by it without noticing.
you would put bleach on a gray and white stroller?
It's really old and needs replacing - but I have not replaced it yet - I doubt I can get a new cover.

They might not be connected. Guilt isn't going to help.
And yes, I would bleach the stroller. I really wouldn't care if it faded. You may just be able to recover it yourself by getting some thick cloth and using those elastic thingees some use on sheets to keep flat sheets in place, to hold them on. If you aren't a seamstress.

bluebird

Post Tue, Feb 03 2009, 7:03 pm
I would avoid using bleach if you think there is still urine on the stroller. Urine (ammonia) and bleach mixed can cause chlorine gas to be released. The chances are slim with such a small amount but I wouldn't do it.

I highly recommend using Nature's Miracle. It's great for getting cat urine out of furniture. I used it to clean a large chair cushion recently. I like to buy the gallon size and keep it around just in case.

greenfire

Post Tue, Feb 03 2009, 7:13 pm
it's not pee but "spray"
and if someone is allergic to a cat - baby or not they can get rashes ...

use a ton of baking soda and detergent ... use elbow grease and start scrubbing ... shower off well ... let dry ... and pray it works ...

greenfire

Post Tue, Feb 03 2009, 7:16 pm
http://www.catsofaustralia.com.....cipe0

Pineapple

Post Tue, Feb 03 2009, 7:19 pm
Good reason not to leave it outside Mad

greenfire

Post Tue, Feb 03 2009, 7:52 pm
*meow*

newmom

Post Tue, Feb 03 2009, 8:04 pm
Do what you can to get the smell out and then buy a seat cover.

MrsLeo

Post Tue, Feb 03 2009, 8:16 pm
The same thing happened to except without the rash b"h. I had just bought a new double carriage and I put it together and left it outside. Then my neighbor knocked on my door and told me that she saw cats in my carriage. I had a newborn and didnt want her to get sick from the cats so I took the seats (I was lucky the seats came off of the base of the carriage, although the cloth itself doesnt come off) and put them in the bathtub and poured hot water all over them and then I washed them with anti bacterial spray cleaners that I use to wash my counters. It then took me an hour to wash the soap out cuz the seats had cushioning inside and then it took another week to get them completely dry and when I put my baby in it I made sure to line the seat with a clean cloth.

GAMZu

Post Wed, Feb 04 2009, 1:19 am
MrsLeo wrote:
The same thing happened to except without the rash b"h. I had just bought a new double carriage and I put it together and left it outside. Then my neighbor knocked on my door and told me that she saw cats in my carriage. I had a newborn and didnt want her to get sick from the cats so I took the seats (I was lucky the seats came off of the base of the carriage, although the cloth itself doesnt come off) and put them in the bathtub and poured hot water all over them and then I washed them with anti bacterial spray cleaners that I use to wash my counters. It then took me an hour to wash the soap out cuz the seats had cushioning inside and then it took another week to get them completely dry and when I put my baby in it I made sure to line the seat with a clean cloth.
Leo, you just saved me a whole post! I also have cats cozying up in my stroller- which is the same as yours Wink So I remove the seats and wash them in the shower with antibacterial dish soap.
I wouldn't use harsh chemicals, as HindaRochel said. Now you'll know for next time.

I also line the seat with a bunting, so sometimes the cats sleep on that. Then it's easier to remove and wash.

I doubt the cat made on it. They don't make in places they rest in. They are neat creatures and have designated toilet spots, and bury their droppings.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry