Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Formula 101

tziganka

Post Mon, Sep 22 2008, 11:23 am
Here’s a question for all of you nutrition buffs out there, and this being a Jewish mothers forum, I imagine that there are a few.

My DD is five months and up until now I’ve been strictly nursing her. I want to start giving her formula before I start her on solids and was wondering what is the most nutritious formula on the market today?

I tried some soy based stuff the other day for fear of giving her anything that is animal milk based and it made her smell funny. I’m not even sure if its bad to give her animal milk based stuff since she doesn’t have any allergies that I know of, I just remember the doctor saying in one of the healthy baby visits that I shouldn’t give her animal milk. This could have been when she was one month old though.

So please, educate me!

Twizzlers

Post Mon, Sep 22 2008, 1:11 pm
as per my pediatrician, Similac Advance is the best formula out there. good luck.

tziganka

Post Mon, Sep 22 2008, 5:13 pm
Thank you twizzlers for the info. I forgot one more thing though- is the powder better then the liquid stuff?

Pineapple

Post Mon, Sep 22 2008, 7:14 pm
The powder is just cheaper

yo'ma

Post Mon, Sep 22 2008, 7:15 pm
Pineapple wrote:
The powder is just cheaper

and easier to travel with

shoy18

Post Mon, Sep 22 2008, 7:34 pm
and easier to measure and not waste the extra, nor do you have to heat up formula from powder, you just make it warm.

flowerpower

Post Mon, Sep 22 2008, 7:40 pm
Soy is not the best option. If you can use milk based. They say meterna is very good-very popular. Similac is great too-a little heavyish though so you can use a drop more water then you should.

mummiedearest

Post Mon, Sep 22 2008, 7:41 pm
similac advance may be most nutritious, but most kids I know can't stomach it well. I have used enfamil lipil with good results. I wouldn't give soy formula if there's no dairy allergy. especially if you plan to switch to cow's milk at 12 months, you might as well give milk formula now. the soy stuff smells way worse than the milk stuff, too.

the powder is better in that it is cheaper, easier to travel with, lasts longer, and is better for the environment (less containers to throw out). it won't spill stuff all over your fridge.

just so you know, you can get monthly checks toward formula from all the major formula companies by going on their websites and signing up.

Yakira

Post Mon, Sep 22 2008, 7:56 pm
I use enfamil and similac. I didn't realize it was a 'thing' not to mix formulas, and we used what we had gotten from various people since dd was a few months old. So dr. said it was OK.

I don't know about your income (and it's none of my business) but if your salary is under a certain amount, you can qualify for WIC which helps pay for formula as well as some other basic foods.

Best of luck!

Mama Bear

Post Mon, Sep 22 2008, 8:01 pm
similac advance is not cholov yisroel. the J&J cholov yisroel one is very expensive. materna is cheaper. but I surprisingly found that my baby cried non stop after materna, and not so much after similac.

gold21

Post Mon, Sep 22 2008, 8:43 pm
Anyone have an opinion on nestle good-start formula?

My son is currently on similac advance soy formula in powder version, and were ok with it. I breastfeed about sixty percent of the time, so this is used as a supplement.

OldYoung

Post Mon, Sep 22 2008, 8:51 pm
We started dd on soy based, but the dr. said it's better for her to be on the milk-based one so she has been drinking enfamil with lipil for the last few months and we haven't had any problems. With the milk-based, she actually got quite constipated and we were constantly feeding her prune juice. shock I didn't know it was allowed! Btw, the milk one smells much better and I found it dissolves better than the soy. Powder is definitely easier to make and travel with. Ask your LOR about using OU-D formula. Our's said powdered milk is no problem regarding Chalav Yisrael.

chaylizi

Post Mon, Sep 22 2008, 8:53 pm
my pediatrician liked the enfamil lipil. I haven't used it in about 5 years though. dd #2 never tasted formula.

ESB

Post Tue, Sep 23 2008, 12:27 am
I use enfamil lipil. DD loves it and bh saw and see great results.

ss321

Post Wed, Feb 04 2009, 7:24 am
flowerpower wrote:
Similac is great too-a little heavyish though so you can use a drop more water then you should.

unless you are a pediatric endocrinologist, you should be very careful doling out bits of advice like this one.
using more or less water than the recommended amounts can cause serious metabolic problems in infants. Its not a light matter.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics