Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
Urine smell in kids room.....eeeeeeeeeeewwwwwwww

amother

Post Wed, Jan 21 2009, 10:46 pm
So my 4-year-old has been having accidents more often at night. that's another discussion. anyway, I started putting on pull-ups. but meanwhile, the kids rooms STINKS. He has no sheet on his bed - just the plastic mattress cover. I also have 2 other kids in that room, but both in diapers.
I plan on having a cleaning lady next week and have her sanitize the whole room. Meanwhile, I used some fantastic on the mattress covers, but I think it still REEKS from the next room!!!
Any suggestions??

pecan

Post Wed, Jan 21 2009, 10:52 pm
Try lysol
sprinkle baking soda or baby powder and let it sit for an hour or two
Change other kids sheets

greenfire

Post Wed, Jan 21 2009, 11:11 pm
I used to have that with kids in camp ... took all their belongings and washed EVERYTHING ... add baking soda to the wash along with regular detergent ... double rinse ...

take a soapy towel and scrub the mattress ... then a wet one to rinse (not soaking) ... then dry it up ... (air dry or blow dry) then put baking soda or baby powder ...

then don't let him drink late in the day and bring him to the bathroom before bed, before you go to bed and maybe in the middle of the night ...

good luck !!!

Mama Bear

Post Wed, Jan 21 2009, 11:21 pm
your kid sleeps at night on plastic?

My son is still in pullups at night but he usually soaks it through. I just strip the bed and lysol the mattress and air the room out by opening the window or running a fan.

Blair

Post Wed, Jan 21 2009, 11:29 pm
You are suppose to put a sheet over the plastic one. Isn't your child all hot from just sleeping on the plastic?

hmmmm?

Post Wed, Jan 21 2009, 11:40 pm
try a pet store! seriously - they probably have a bunch of products for removing urine odors.

Mitzvahmom

Post Wed, Jan 21 2009, 11:43 pm
I use fabreeze and open a window

oh and ditto on the baking soda in the laundry!!

amother

Post Thu, Jan 22 2009, 12:15 pm
OP Here.
I went to the kids room today to collect any smelly bedding and see if I could find source of smell.
I FOUND IT>
Don't be grossed out, but a kid had urinated in the garbage can...that can explain it...!

HindaRochel

Post Thu, Jan 22 2009, 12:24 pm
Yep. And that isn't all that odd. Gross yes, but leave it to a kid.

rachel19977

Post Sun, Jan 25 2009, 1:28 pm
You can also get a bed pad, that simply goes over the sheet. They lay on top of it.

It's washable, cotton on one side and plastic kind of material on the other side. All you need to do it pull it off the bed without worrying to change the sheets. We use it for our DS age 4 who has accidents, it's easy to change pajama bottoms, a new bed pad, and you are SET!

amother

Post Sun, Jan 25 2009, 2:20 pm
rachel19977 wrote:
You can also get a bed pad, that simply goes over the sheet. They lay on top of it.

It's washable, cotton on one side and plastic kind of material on the other side. All you need to do it pull it off the bed without worrying to change the sheets. We use it for our DS age 4 who has accidents, it's easy to change pajama bottoms, a new bed pad, and you are SET!

good idea! I used one of those when I was nursing, so I didn't have milk stains!
but doesn't he move around his bed a lot? and u don't use a pull up?

rachel19977

Post Sun, Jan 25 2009, 4:09 pm
No, we wake up him in the middle of the night to pee. It's hard, but it's worth it in the end. You just have to make yourself get up. Hey, our parents did it to us, we will teach our kids too!

Diaper or pull-ups - they know they can pee in there and get away with it. So I stopped. Running to the store to buy diapers every month or every two weeks, for kids that can get up on their own and pee...

It's too expensive also!

No, the bed pad does not move. There's several kind, some that has pieces sewn on the side to tuck it under the mattress too. They don't move if it's large enough. Someone I know used to work for a medical supply company and she sent me 3 different styles. I saw them on target.com

amother

Post Wed, Feb 04 2009, 8:46 pm
Try bac-out. It's great stuff. It is almost odorless itself, but will de-stink your kids room very quickly. It's a cleaner, not an air spray. Spray it on the mattress pad and anywhere else. It's especially good on rugs.
It's cheaper without the spray top, so you can buy the regular top as a refill.
http://www.drugstore.com/produ.....34541

(anon because I'm a notorious evangelist for this product)

ShakleeMom

Post Wed, Feb 04 2009, 10:13 pm
My son once woke up in the middle of the night to pee, and walked to the hamper and with groggy eyes, lifted the lid, did his thing, went back to bed.

supermama2

Post Wed, Feb 04 2009, 10:14 pm
ShakleeMom wrote:
My son once woke up in the middle of the night to pee, and walked to the hamper and with groggy eyes, lifted the lid, did his thing, went back to bed.

Rolling Laughter I could sooo see a boy doing this..

Pineapple

Post Wed, Feb 04 2009, 10:28 pm
ShakleeMom wrote:

What fun you must have had the next day with laundry

Mama Bear

Post Wed, Feb 04 2009, 11:00 pm
One of my brothers tried to go in the linen closet (closest door to his bedroom, he was half asleep).

RightOnTarget

Post Wed, Feb 04 2009, 11:07 pm
Interesting that I just realized this thread just as I was trying to locate the source of urine smell in my kids room. when I walk in I smell it but when I smell specific items - like ds pjs, sheet, blanket, it smells ok.

Still looking!

JC

Post Wed, Feb 04 2009, 11:40 pm
My son would practically sleep walk... his favorites were going to the edge of the stairs and pee down the flight of stairs, he often used garbage cans, and my personal favorite... the side of MY bed. All done while thinking he was in the bathroom, ie he took down his pants aimed and fired.

THANK G-D he finally grew out of it, but I still find him wandering the house occasionally while he sleeps and I guide him to the bathroom.

ShakleeMom

Post Thu, Feb 05 2009, 12:09 am
JC Rolling Laughter
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry