Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Miscellaneous
Help: How to look dignified / Fashion advice
Previous  1  2

mother48

Post Mon, Jan 23 2006, 3:01 pm
some pointers:

I use DRYEL. it's drycleaning in a bag you do in your dryer. I don't find it good for stains, but for every day freshing, on dry clean only clothing, works great-so cuts down on cost.

Try a store like J.Jill. they have a catalog, or can shop online.

by the way, you may feel like you're 'trying to hard' but may appear very nicely dressed to e/o else. we tend to be our worst enemies.

Tefila

Post Mon, Jan 23 2006, 4:45 pm
Quote:
by the way, you may feel like you're 'trying to hard' but may appear very nicely dressed to e/o else. we tend to be our worst enemies.

Good Point 8)

chen

Post Wed, Jan 25 2006, 12:23 pm
Three words: Cotton or cotton-blend knit separates.
Elastic-waist skirts, cardigan-style jackets, and tops.
The overall look of a suit with the comfort and washability of T-shirt fabric and the ease of pull-on styling. (Do I sound like a commercial?)
Suitable for most situations except weddings and job interviews.
You do have to look out for fading, esp. with deep colors.

If you are the parent of small children and not made of money, highly-tailored, dry-clean only garb for every day wear is insane.

You must determine just how dignified you really need to look. Not everyone thinks it is necessary, or even advisable, to dress for a chasuna when you are taking out the trash. Even the Queen of England wears old jodhpurs and a kerchief on her head when she is riding on horseback around her estate in Scotland. The shmatteh on her head may have cost more than your entire clothing budget for the year, but it's still just a babushka.

Tefila

Post Wed, Jan 25 2006, 4:53 pm
Quote:
The shmatteh on her head may have cost more than your entire clothing budget for the year, but it's still just a babushka

Just what I was gonna say Very Happy

Blossom

Post Fri, Jan 27 2006, 12:38 am
I agree with Roza about the shoes. They are the ones who complete the look so make sure to wear shoes that look good on your foot, polished and you do not have to forsake comfort here since there are so many comfortable and nice shoes.
It's also the other accessories that make it such as some neatly put make-up, maybe a nice handbag or a cute headband etc.
With the clothing itself this is what works for me. I have a few color skirts and lots of tops that go to it. Of course I have some colors that I have multiples of such as Black. I try to look for comfort first because a skirt can be always be dressed up. I love v-neck sweaters with a stripe design on the v-neck and same thing on the sleeves etc. Something casual yet classy. But then I have to wear something underneath and sometimes I just wanna pull a top over my head and be dressed. I love cable sweaters or solid tops with a nice edging or argyle prints. There are also beautiful belted tops that pretty(watch out they should be comfortable too).
I enjoy Ralph Lauren sweaters, of course when they're on sale. I love Jones New York and Ann Taylor too. I suggest Dept. Stores like Macy's and lord&taylor for a greater selection. They carry the company Charter Club which has Beautiful and Comfortable Cashmere sweaters for reasonable prices.
Most importantly be happy with yourself and remember the most precious yet free dress-up- a SMILE Smile

imale

Post Fri, Jan 27 2006, 5:45 am
I think velvet is probably the most comfy. You can always dress it up with a scarf, nice sparkly jewelry, and high heels, or dress it down with a large knit shawl and wooden/beaded jewelry.
I don't know what your personal views on denim are, but you can really save yourself a lot of hassle if you owned a couple jean skirts - they go with anything from blouses to blazers to sweater.......
Good luck and have fun doing it, don't forget that no matter how casual or put together you want to look a little makeup can go a long way Wink
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics