Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
What's it like for non-lubavs in CH?
Previous  1  2  3  4

pecan

Post Sun, Jan 11 2009, 10:03 am
Some of my kids are school age. I think I may be too old for the junior n'shei stuff. I've been friendly with some people in my building, but I have not become friends. I would say it's more like acquaintances. I work also and the people I work with I would also call acquaintances, not friends. Also, I have mono now and after work, I'm just too out of energy to go places.
So like I said, it is partially my fault.
I have the best of intentions, just don't end up getting places besides work.

bubby

Post Sun, Jan 11 2009, 10:12 am
I don't usually want to go chronologically backwards, but I could use this Jr. N'shei event embarrassed

TzenaRena

Post Sun, Jan 11 2009, 10:18 am
me too! Can daughters bring mothers as guests? LOL

Pecan, refuah shleimah!

marina

Post Sun, Jan 11 2009, 10:21 am
Quote:
It's not questionable, it's assur to sell your property to someone who may present a danger to Jews or their property in a Jewish neighborhood. That's in Shulchan Aruch. It may not be PC, but it's the law, and it's illegal - against Shulchan Aruch- to sell your home to someone who may pose a danger or "just" cause damages to other Jews. Choshen Mishpat 175:40.

I would agree that renting or selling property to a person with a well-established criminal record is not advisable. But good news! The color of a person's skin or their religious affiliation doesn't predict whether someone will be a danger to Jews or their property.

TzenaRena

Post Sun, Jan 11 2009, 10:25 am
The halacha doesn't say anything about race, or color. It says "nochri", or "Akum". And it doesn't say nochri or Akum "with a criminal record". I'm sure there are many details, and being a halachic matter, it is discussed in Poskim, Tur etc.. I can translate the sicha which the Rebbe gave at the time, for general accuracy, and more explanation.

marina

Post Sun, Jan 11 2009, 10:28 am
The halacha you posted explains that it is not allowed to sell to someone who may present a danger. If you'd like to cite another halacha about how it is assur to sell to any nonJews at all, please post it and we can discuss it at that time.

Butterfly

Post Sun, Jan 11 2009, 11:42 am
TzenaRena wrote:
Butterfly, what a beautiful post! I'm sure I "know" you from those days.

TzenaRena, if you were in my times, we probably met somewhere some how Yes .. maybe even at the Lubavitch Bnos during Shabbos afternoons. Everyone, from all Chassidus, and from no Chassidus was welcome to join. We played together, we ate together, we sang together, and danced together.

WE WERE ONE BIG HAPPY FAMILY. Hug Hug Hug Hug

It happens sometimes, very rarely though, especially at Simchas, where it's very common to meet people you (thought) had never met before. They would introduce themselves to us (myself, and family members) and vise verse, as well, as former CH neighbors, or as best friends at the time, or as other acquaintances..
Sometimes we didn't recognize them anymore, while at other times, they didn't recognize us. But once we re-introduced ourselves, we would go back to those wonderful years, and would usually remind each other of the most happiest and most silliest, personal and none personal experiences we shared together. Ahhh did it bring back so many good memories, Lady , Rolling Laughter , Scratching Head , Bounce Colors Study Cheers Hug and what not LOL LOL
The special vibes we immediately pick/ed up towards each other, during such occasions, are indescribable. It feel/felt like we re-discovered a long lost family member.

THOSE WERE THE DAYS... WE THOUGHT THEY'D NEVER END... Music Music

There remains to be a very special bond and feeling in our hearts: towards the CH vicinity, and especially towards the Lubavitcher Rebbe ZT"L and his beautiful Chassidus.

I never discussed this subject with any of my school mates, because of all the ridiculous politics going on between many narrow minded people of different Chassidus, unfortunately..

P.S. I wonder if I would be aloud to join the private Lubavitch forum.. every time I scroll down at the forum page, and I pass the Lbvtch section, I so wish that I could join. I somehow feel it's OK for me to request access because I really belong there too.. (somewhat)..
And if I remember well, I might have mentioned in my questionnaire..,that I was also (partially) Lbvtch

Last edited by Butterfly on Sun, Jan 11 2009, 11:45 am; edited 1 time in total

gryp

Post Sun, Jan 11 2009, 11:45 am
Of course you're welcome in the Lubavitch forum! What's the question???

Butterfly

Post Sun, Jan 11 2009, 12:02 pm
GR wrote:
Of course you're welcome in the Lubavitch forum! What's the question???

I'm not sure because I am already a member in "The Chassidishe velt"...
unless we are aloud to join two such similar, yet somewhat different, private forums at the same time. I'll request it sometime soon IMY"H. Just getting too hungry... especially after the Mumbai incident Sad

Thank you though, GR

TzenaRena

Post Sun, Jan 11 2009, 2:43 pm
marina wrote:
The halacha you posted explains that it is not allowed to sell to someone who may present a danger. If you'd like to cite another halacha about how it is assur to sell to any nonJews at all, please post it and we can discuss it at that time.
Not only a danger. potential damage to the person's property, parnassah, ability to educate his children, and many other types of damage.

Butterfly

Post Sun, Jan 11 2009, 3:07 pm
marina wrote:

I would agree that renting or selling property to a person with a well-established criminal record is not advisable. But good news! The color of a person's skin or their religious affiliation doesn't predict whether someone will be a danger to Jews or their property.

Marina, you are correct with your statement above, But good news! "Jewish people" are very well aware of that!!
Are you surprised?! shock

The facts has shown that during those times in CH while the neighborhood was changing so drastically, the crime rate increased drastically as well. I remember as a young child, we were never ever afraid to go outside even during the very late midnight hours. We NEVER EVER experienced any crimes during those times B"H.
Once the neighborhood began changing week after week, the crimes were being introduced as well, and thus increasing day by day! I remember the burglaries happening in our apartment more than once. I remember my brother being rushed to the hospital with a fractured skull and broken wrist, because some young "new" neighbors from down the block threw him off his bike. They used their dog to frighten the children on the block. They would hit us with bats, and throw rocks at us. They were such a terror, that even then, neither their parents nor the police had any control over them.

Three blocks up there were another bunch of rats terrorizing the neighborhood. One of those boys, a 12 years old (I can't ever forget that one Exploding anger ) had a criminal record of at least 20 incidents long. He and his animal friends were too young to be locked up during those times, and because they were aware of the law they had no problem to continuously terrorize the entire neighborhood.

So how can anyone predict beforehand who will be from the none violent or criminal ones?!?!
Before my Father decided to sell his house, he had a very hard time finding a costumer who would want to buy it because of the circumstances. My father didn't have the heart to sell it to a none Jew, "JUST INCASE...Exploding anger Exploding angerShooting Arrow: Shooting Arrow Banging head: Banging head ..... What "..because he felt he couldn't distribute more hate and crime to our, once very peaceful, home town!! And until he was able to sell it to a Jew only, he refused to sell, despite the great offers he received.
Hashem finally sent him a very Chashov/respectful Lubavitch Chossid B"H. to whom he gladly, and finally sold it to. They still live in that same house since LOL more than 25 years already LOL
And Marina, BTH. during all the years that we lived in CH at ------ street., we lived next door to the most wonderful, descent, and charming African American family. They were the only none Jews in the entire neighborhood, surrounded by Jewish families ONLY. They were very respected and liked by everyone who knew them, and we felt honored to have them as our neighbors. They respected our holidays, as we did theirs. They would always help out on Shabbos or Yom Tov when we weren't aloud to do certain tasks. He respected my Father tremendously. Whenever they would run into each other, He would remove his cap as he bowed slightly, to show his respects for the Rabbi of the Shul next door.

While they were celebrating their Holidays, we respected the loud music and dancing going on in their back yard, because they were celebrating so "nicely and so peacefully", THEIR JOYOUS HOLIDAYS.
When we were little, we had our friends come over and enjoyed watching them celebrate.. it was very interesting, different, and nice to watch. And while at it, they would always smile to us and give us some candy..
Believe it or not, WE WERE LIKE ONE BIG HAPPY FAMILY!!
My AA cleaning lady is sorta A PART OF OUR FAMILY too!! We adore her for her honesty, devotion, and Ahavas Yisroel!! She told me that her Jewish clients of 20 years are her favorite ones!! I guess because she is constantly interacting with Jews, she recognize our astonishing and beautiful Jewish Religion.

The most pious and Religious Jews are absolutely not prejudice, nor discriminative!!

Get a real Jewish education MARINA?! Study Get it?!

I don't know the actual Halachas in these situations... but what I do know for a fact is;

"ACTIONS SPEAK LOUDER THAN WORDS!!"

Butterfly

Post Sun, Jan 11 2009, 4:07 pm
Gr, I tried to reply to you via PM, but am having technical problems with that feature, unfortunately. I received your message, and I just wanted to say "thank you" that was really sweet Smile

Greenie dear, got your message too, wanted to reply, but still suffering from tech diffs, and from booze over dosage.. so here goes;

LECHAIM LECHAIM Cheers Cheers Drunken Smile Drunken Smile Cheers Cheers Drunken Smile Scratching Head Nervous Hug Hug Banging head Music Shooting Arrow Shooting Arrow Nervous Nervous Help Help ChillPill ChillPill Puke Mr. Green Drunken Smile Cheers Cheers Drunken Smile Hug Hug
Rolling Laughter Rolling Laughter Crying Crying Rolling Laughter Banging head Rolling Laughter Shooting Arrow
Lov-ye-too Salut Hug

Last edited by Butterfly on Sun, Jan 11 2009, 4:15 pm; edited 1 time in total

marina

Post Sun, Jan 11 2009, 4:14 pm
Quote:
The most pious and Religious Jews are absolutely not prejudice, nor discriminative!!

Thank you for clarifying this Butterfly. I think we all needed to hear that.

amother

Post Tue, Jan 13 2009, 9:47 am
Did anybody notice that BUTTERFLY's posts actually holds true with her user-name? All those colorful icons dancing about the entries... fluttering emoticons... sure to brighten anyone's day!

OP here, thanks for all the informative posts.

greenfire

Post Tue, Jan 13 2009, 9:55 am
Butterfly wrote:

Greenie dear, got your message too, wanted to reply, but still suffering from tech diffs, and from booze over dosage.. so here goes;

LECHAIM LECHAIM Cheers Cheers Drunken Smile Drunken Smile Cheers Cheers Drunken Smile Scratching Head Nervous Hug Hug Banging head Music Shooting Arrow Shooting Arrow Nervous Nervous Help Help ChillPill ChillPill Puke Mr. Green Drunken Smile Cheers Cheers Drunken Smile Hug Hug
Rolling Laughter Rolling Laughter Crying Crying Rolling Laughter Banging head Rolling Laughter Shooting Arrow
Lov-ye-too Salut Hug

thanks for the reply - I'll try to read in between the emoticons Mr. Green Confused Rolling Eyes Drunken Smile Shooting Arrow Wink
(ah I think I got it)

bashinda

Post Wed, Feb 11 2009, 1:42 pm
amother wrote:
Did anybody notice that BUTTERFLY's posts actually holds true with her user-name? All those colorful icons dancing about the entries... fluttering emoticons... sure to brighten anyone's day!

I was thinking the same thing!

I love hearing about how it was back then. A colleague of my husband's who is not Lubavitch but grew up in CH told me that he used to get the Rebbetzin's honey cake, as in he was there when she actually baked the lekach!

Pecan: it can be hard in CH because it is in a big city and there's so many people packed into this little neighborhood and not only that, but this little neighborhood is growing. You know the joke how eventually CH and Willy is going to meet? Also everyone is extremely busy. I used to go to events but it was hard to meet up with people. I suppose it depends on the event. Now I'm so busy I cant' get out bclal!

edit: just realized this post was from last month.

Raisin

Post Wed, Feb 11 2009, 11:21 pm
bashinda wrote:
amother wrote:

I was thinking the same thing!

I love hearing about how it was back then. A colleague of my husband's who is not Lubavitch but grew up in CH told me that he used to get the Rebbetzin's honey cake, as in he was there when she actually baked the lekach!

Pecan: it can be hard in CH because it is in a big city and there's so many people packed into this little neighborhood and not only that, but this little neighborhood is growing. You know the joke how eventually CH and Willy is going to meet? Also everyone is extremely busy. I used to go to events but it was hard to meet up with people. I suppose it depends on the event. Now I'm so busy I cant' get out bclal!

edit: just realized this post was from last month.

I only realised today how close ch and williamsburg is. My taxi driver went the wrong way - towards bed-sty and willie, instead of towards ch. I kept saying, this doesn't look right, and then I saw 2 chaseedishe women crossing the street and I told him to turn round. it only took a few minutes to ch. too bad the neighbourhood in between is not very nice.

poelmamosh

Post Thu, Feb 12 2009, 9:36 am
Raisin wrote:
too bad the neighbourhood in between is not very nice.

it's been getting much nicer.
Page 4 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating