Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Announcements & Mazel Tovs
How to support this website!
Previous  1  2

SMG

Post Tue, Jan 31 2006, 1:43 pm
SaraG, there is no way for a dedicated server to be free and that is really what it takes to run a larger website. To the admins, is $1000 the lowest price you have found? Is that based on price checking? My husband used to work in web hosting and with dedicated servers and he has a former colleague who now owns his own business and seems to do reasonably priced hosting. I am going to ask my husband for his info and send it on to you. Maybe it can help

Crayon210

Post Tue, Jan 31 2006, 1:48 pm
By the way, I looked for the thread about donating from last time, and it looks like it was deleted, probably because there were a lot of hurt feelings. For some people, even a dollar or two is too much, and everyone should be able to respect that and not push people to do something that they don't feel comfortable with.

chocolate moose

Post Tue, Jan 31 2006, 1:50 pm
If it cost money, then that money has to come from somewhere.

Advertisers?

SMG

Post Tue, Jan 31 2006, 1:52 pm
Some more thoughts- I also don't use websites that I have to pay for as a general rule, but I do enjoy this one, and I think that there are many people who post on here that get a lot out of it that actually benefits their families and their emotional health, not just the entertainment/enjoyment factor. I agree that access shouldn't be limited if you can't afford to help out financially. One of the things so many people post about is financial difficulties. On the other hand, for those of us who are paying for things like DSL and high speed internet connection (myself included), I don't think that an annual donation of $2-$10 is a whole lot. Think of it as one less pizza shop lunch or skipping the colored peppers in your salad one week or 1/2 of a shaitel wash/set.
I am sure that there are people out there who can afford to donate generously to this site and would be more agreeable to carrying a majority of the financial responsibility if they see that (most) everyone is at least making an effort on their level of ability.
$1000/year for over 1000+ registered users? That doesn't have to hit any of us too hard if we're all willing to chip in. Confused

Crayon210

Post Tue, Jan 31 2006, 1:57 pm
SMG wrote:
On the other hand, for those of us who are paying for things like DSL and high speed internet connection (myself included), I don't think that an annual donation of $2-$10 is a whole lot. Think of it as one less pizza shop lunch or skipping the colored peppers in your salad one week or 1/2 of a shaitel wash/set.

None of this is anyone's business!! My finances are none of anyone's business to tell me to donate here or there!

SMG

Post Tue, Jan 31 2006, 1:58 pm
One more comment- I don't want anyone to think I'm trying to force you into something. I'm generalizing here. It's the main idea that I'm after. I have also been through some hard times, but I really think that those of us who can need to help support this on any level. It isn't fair if you expect everyone else to support your interests when you really could be in a position to help. You know that loose change on the car floor? The crumpled up dollar bill you keep coming across in the kitchen? If you keep leaving it where it is because you don't really need it, here is a place to spend it. If that's the money you take to the grocery store, then by all means that is your priority and is definitely more important and I wish you better mazel.
I hope I haven't offended anyone, I just want to encourage those who can help to do so.

Yael

Post Tue, Jan 31 2006, 5:27 pm
Thank you for wanting to help us out.
We recently launched a donation campaign and alot of members donated. Their donations were very appreciated. and I would not ask anyone to donate again. what we need now are sponsors. Not really donations. I want our members to have the full use and enjoyment of Imamother without having to give anything for it. (if you want to give its up to you, I'm not asking for it.)
What we need now, is money coming from outside sources. Which is what I mentioned in my original announcement
Quote:
"We need your help to find people who believe in Imamother.com and want it to continue. We need to find someone willing to sponsor about $100 per month, each month, from now on. Please use any connections you may have and approach people telling them about us. Advertisers would also work. If you can find a buisness thats willing to advertise or sponsor us, please tell us or contact them. You can also sponsor a month L'iluy nishmas a beloved one, or in honor of someone's occasion."

So if you can approach people who can afford and are willing to do this, then that would be very much appreciated.
And just to set the record straight. All money made through advertising and donations etc. goes straight back into imamother.com. To this date, almost 2 years after starting Imamother.com, we have not yet made a single cent to put into our own pockets. maybe one day we will, but I'm not counting on it.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics