Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Yom Tov Dishes & Menus
ISO Mexican Recipes- Needed ASAP

pinktichel

Post Wed, Feb 25 2009, 6:05 pm
I don't have time to surf the net for recipes so I was wondering if anyone had any easy Mexican recipes for a Purim Seuda.

I was thinking of putting taco chips, salsa and guacamole on the tables and doing a fajita/taco bar but I'm not sure what to make for it.

If anyone has ideas/recipes, please can you post ASAP?

TIA

OldYoung

Post Wed, Feb 25 2009, 6:11 pm
Do you have the Quick and Kosher cookbook? The arroz con pollo recipe is delicious, and a cinch to make!! (It's chicken and Spanish rice.) I can post the recipe if you'd like.

ShakleeMom

Post Wed, Feb 25 2009, 6:35 pm
you can get away with murder by making a bean soup.

bella

Post Wed, Feb 25 2009, 6:50 pm
I make a "make your own taco salad" bar with the following choices:

meat - you can use ground beef or shredded pre-cooked chicken. Saute in a pan with spices and chopped onion and peppers or both if you are feeding a large group

seasoned black beans - similar to the beef, but a vegetarian alternative. Sometimes I also use a masher to break down the beans a bit add about a cup of tomato paste to make it similar to refried beans

raw veggies - you can use whatever you like in salad, but traditionally it includes shredded lettuce, chopped tomatoes, peppers (hot if you like, plus regular bell peppers), onions, olives

salsa - I make a very simple homemade version with chopped tomatoes, peppers (again - both hot and bell), parsley and/or cilantro, onions and a bit of canned crushed tomatoes, then season to taste with cumin, chili powder, garlic, and salt.

You can use store-bought taco shells, or just use tortilla wraps and have people wrap them themselves like soft tacos or burritos. If I have time, I like to place flour or corn tortillas in an oven-safe bowl and put them in a hot oven for 10 minutes or so. They come out toasted and stay in that shape - like an edible bowl! Very simple, but they look impressive. I'm not sure if I explained it well, but my family loves them.

The way we eat it is - you put your choices inside the "bowl" then break off bits of the "bowl" and crumble them on top of the veggies and meat. By the time you're down to the bottom, the tortilla is softened up a little. You can also break of bigger pieces and scoop the filling, like chips and salsa style.

If you like, you can also serve pareve sour cream, but my family doesn't like it. Intellectually we know it's kosher, but we are too used to kashrus to enjoy the taste of milk-like things with meat:-) To each his own, though, so if you think your family/guests would like it, is is traditionally mexican. I also sometimes make this whole meal vegetarian by using meat or chicken substitute.

sky

Post Wed, Feb 25 2009, 7:17 pm
OldYoung wrote:
Do you have the Quick and Kosher cookbook? The arroz con pollo recipe is delicious, and a cinch to make!! (It's chicken and Spanish rice.) I can post the recipe if you'd like.

It is very good - old YOung to you make the rice yourself? I just checked the box ingredients and it has a ton of sodium - I'd love to make it without the mix if you have a recipe. .

Black Bean Quasadillas:

You mash 1 can of black beans with 1/2 - 1 cup chunky salsa and grated zuchini. Smear on a flour tortilla or wrap. place a second tortilla on top. Bake at 375 for 13 - 15 minutes. Cut into 1/4s. You can serve one 1/4 on each persons plate with a corn relish or other salad as an appetizer.

mamacita

Post Thu, Feb 26 2009, 12:34 am
for authentic arroz con pollo first make sofrito. In a blender throw an onion, a green pepper, a head of garlic, a bundle of cilantro, then enough water to make it blend smooth. Use a 1/4-1/2 cup of the mixture to boil 2-3 cups of rice. Add tumeric for a yellow color.

For a cheapo quick version (what I serve when I make enchiladas) just mix cooked rice with a can of diced tomato and green chili.

If you want fleish, tacos is the way to go like bella said, if you want milchigs, then enchiladas. Or maybe quesadillas, but to me those are snacky and not a whole meal.

Enchilada casserole:
sauce: tomato sauce, green chili, (and/or salsa) chili powder, garlic powder, onion powder

in a dish layer sauce, tortilla, sauce, sour cream, cheese, tortilla, sauce, sour cream, cheese, tortilla, etc. If you can't find tortillas what I did in Israel was use tortilla chips or lafa, obviously a different feel at the end, but still tasty.

BeershevaBubby

Post Thu, Feb 26 2009, 1:21 am
For easy fajitas, I tend to saute green and red pepper strips and onions then strips of chicken breast. Season with black pepper, paprika and garlic powder.

And I make sure to have chili powder on the table for those who like it spicy.

BeershevaBubby

Post Thu, Feb 26 2009, 1:23 am
Oh, and for an easy 'salsa' type dish, I make pico de gallo - diced fresh tomatoes, diced onions, chopped parsley, chopped jalepeno pepper (but not too much), minced garlic, salt, black pepper, splash of olive oil and some lemon juice. It's not quite as 'wet' as salsa.

pinktichel

Post Thu, Feb 26 2009, 4:55 pm
Thanks ladies!

Knew I could count on you! I'm definitely going to use a lot of these recipes... just have to figure out which ones are easiest for me to do.

Any other ideas?

bubby

Post Thu, Feb 26 2009, 5:26 pm
Refried beans...you can buy them in cans. I think they're vile, but my friend in 5 towns loves them Wink

Tequila, with salt & lime wedges. Do you have decorations? Mock cacti? Sombreros?

atlastamom

Post Thu, Feb 26 2009, 6:06 pm
really easy dish:

line pyrex dish with taco chips.
top with cooked, mashed beans.
pour salsa over the beans and sprinkle cheese on top.
bake until the cheese is bubbling and a little crisp.
it's very easy and good.

pinktichel

Post Thu, Feb 26 2009, 6:15 pm
atlastamom wrote:
really easy dish:

line pyrex dish with taco chips.
top with cooked, mashed beans.
pour salsa over the beans and sprinkle cheese on top.
bake until the cheese is bubbling and a little crisp.
it's very easy and good.

sounds great, but not easy to do for about 50 ppl Sad Oh, and I think we're doing fleishig
Thanks though!

bubby

Post Thu, Feb 26 2009, 6:36 pm
All these recipes make me hungry. I'm having an egg salad for "dinner'. Puke No bread, but maybe a cookie or two for dessert Wink

When DH comes home from his business trip I'll ask him to stop off @ Kol Tuv for CHOCOLATE!!!

OldYoung

Post Thu, Feb 26 2009, 9:23 pm
sky wrote:
OldYoung wrote:

It is very good - old YOung to you make the rice yourself? I just checked the box ingredients and it has a ton of sodium - I'd love to make it without the mix if you have a recipe. .

Black Bean Quasadillas:

You mash 1 can of black beans with 1/2 - 1 cup chunky salsa and grated zuchini. Smear on a flour tortilla or wrap. place a second tortilla on top. Bake at 375 for 13 - 15 minutes. Cut into 1/4s. You can serve one 1/4 on each persons plate with a corn relish or other salad as an appetizer.

No I use the boxes... well 2, like the recipe calls for, to be exact. embarrassed I don't really know how I would make it from scratch. I'd probably sautee the vegetables, add the same amount of water and plain, uncooked rice (as the boxes) and add spices that are in the box ingredients- probably cayenne pepper? turmeric? I should try experimenting because it's probably healthier and cheaper!

saboni

Post Fri, Feb 27 2009, 1:25 am
We just had a Mexican Shabbat and had a taco buffet with the main course (chicken w/black bean and salsa, mexican rice and honey lime glazed sweet potato). The buffet had tacos, kept warm in the oven, grilled peppers, browned chopped meat with cumin & cilantro, pinto beans, chopped tomatoes, avocado, and lettuce, and pareve sour cream & cheese.

I've done lots of different internation cuisine Shabbatons and Mexican is definitely very easy cooking! People love buffet because it's fun and individual, and it is so easy.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Yom Tov Dishes & Menus