Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Popcorn

tichelqueen

Post Tue, Jun 24 2008, 8:18 am
how do you cook popcorn from dried kernals without burning them?

Mimisinger

Post Tue, Jun 24 2008, 8:20 am
Air popper, or deep pan or pot with lid, a bit of oil in the bottom and then the kernels in a single layer on the bottom. Don't put salt until after, the salt in my experience makes it burn.

DefyGravity

Post Tue, Jun 24 2008, 8:22 am
I put kernels into a paper lunchbag, seal it with a bit of tape, and then put it into the microwave.

flowerpower

Post Tue, Jun 24 2008, 8:37 am
I make popcorn in a pot. I put a little oil, then the seeds, and put some newspaper as on top. I make a meduim-high flame. When it's done I put some salt. Heaven and crunchy.

yo'ma

Post Tue, Jun 24 2008, 8:54 am
My uncle got us a popcorn machine for a wedding present. Very Happy

In the kitchen

Post Wed, Jun 25 2008, 8:53 am
Coat the bottom of pot with layer of oil then a single layer of kernals on the bottom of a deep pot, cover and on med-high heat cook and listen to the pops, when they start to slow down then take of flame/burner.

Then add salt and enjoy! Smile Yummmm...

I think with all the cooking methods except maybe the pocorn maker which I am not familiar with, the main trick is to listen to the popping of the kernals and be aware of when the popping slows down so you can take them off the heat.

Akeres Habayis

Post Wed, Jun 25 2008, 9:03 am
In the kitchen wrote:
Coat the bottom of pot with layer of oil then a single layer of kernals on the bottom of a deep pot, cover and on med-high heat cook and listen to the pops, when they start to slow down then take of flame/burner.

Then add salt and enjoy! Smile Yummmm...

I think with all the cooking methods except maybe the pocorn maker which I am not familiar with, the main trick is to listen to the popping of the kernals and be aware of when the popping slows down so you can take them off the heat.

exactly this is how I make it.listening is key Wink
now seasonings LOL I put garlic powder and soy sauce it is GOOD.or just garlic powder and salt.someone else I know takes a parve buillion cube and crumble it on.
as u can see I eat a lot of popcorn

greentiger

Post Wed, Jun 25 2008, 10:39 am
A few tips:

-Salt the OIL before you put the kernels in
-you just need enough oil to cover the bottom of the pot
-put the kernels in ONLY once the oil is hot
-JUST put in kernels to cover the bottom of the pot and no more
-cover right away
-DO NOT lift the cover till you hear the popping stop
-shake the pot ocasionaly while keeping the pot covered

If you follow these tips I guarantee youll have delic, unburned popcorn

bubs

Post Fri, Jul 25 2008, 5:51 am
You need a tall pot with a lid. Heat the oil first, add the kernerls. Over the flame, keep shaking the pot so all the kernels will pop. You don't need to only do a single layer this way. Wait until there is no popping and add seasonings. Shake again with the top on and enjoy. It's important to keep shaking the pot so it won't burn.

Meema2Kids

Post Tue, Mar 03 2009, 1:21 pm
Does popcorn need a hechsher? (the kind we're discussing here, not microwave popcorn)

pinkbubbles

Post Tue, Mar 03 2009, 1:45 pm
I saw a plastic container thing (made in Israel) that you can use to make popcorn in the microwave without oil. I don't know where you can buy it in the US though!

I dont think corn kernels would need a hechsher..

Meema2Kids

Post Tue, Mar 03 2009, 1:47 pm
I actually just looked it up and found this:

Quote:
POPCORN - Raw popcorn kernels do not require supervision. Microwave popcorn or popcorn kernels prepared in oil require supervision. Bagged popcorn and all popcorn sold commercially (theaters, parks, etc.) always require reliable supervision even if one sees they are currently using kosher oil. This is due to the fact that without supervision we have no control or knowledge as to what types of oils have been used in the machinery previously.

from Rav Eidlitz's site http://www.kosherquest.org/boo.....Y.htm

alpidarkomama

Post Tue, Mar 03 2009, 11:30 pm
I add enough oil to coat the bottom of the pot. I put the popcorn in (single layer) while it's cold, then put the gas burner on 6 (out of 10). Take it off when the popping nearly stops. Another tip - if you put a paper towel between the pot and the lid, it absorbs the steam that comes out when the popcorn is popping. No soggy popcorn.

ra_mom

Post Tue, Mar 03 2009, 11:43 pm
flowerpower wrote:
I make popcorn in a pot. I put a little oil, then the seeds, and put some newspaper as on top. I make a meduim-high flame. When it's done I put some salt. Heaven and crunchy.

How does the newspaper help, and does the popcorn get ink on it?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen