Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Raisins

Carefulmom

Post Wed, Mar 04 2009, 10:54 am
I heard that we can't use raisins (First strawberry's, then celery....Anything else I missed? Yes shietels but we don't eat those) Are we allowed to use them now? If so which brands are OK?

Mimisinger

Post Wed, Mar 04 2009, 11:14 am
Please talk to your rabbi, local vaad whatever. Our vaad says that we can eat raisins, just not Gefen or Mishpacha brands...

Carefulmom

Post Wed, Mar 04 2009, 11:57 am
thanks

louche

Post Wed, Mar 04 2009, 12:25 pm
(U) says you can, more right-wing sources say you can't, others say you can but you have to check them first. this is nothing new, I thought you always had to check them first.

Blair

Post Wed, Mar 04 2009, 12:43 pm
Maybe soon we won't be able to breath the air because it doesn't have a good enough kashrut on it.

Mimisinger

Post Wed, Mar 04 2009, 12:47 pm
Blair, of course you can't breathe certain air - if you walk through street fairs and smell the meat cooking - you get hanaa - and it's treif!!! CLose your mouth, hold your nose and RUN!

louche

Post Wed, Mar 04 2009, 12:56 pm
Mimisinger wrote:
Blair, of course you can't breathe certain air - if you walk through street fairs and smell the meat cooking - you get hanaa - and it's treif!!! CLose your mouth, hold your nose and RUN!

you're joking, of course, but fwiw, there's no issur of hanaa from garden-variety tref. the issur of hanaa is only for basar bechalav. if there were an issur of hanaa you wouldn't be able to use most ordinary bath soap, many glues, many cosmetic preparations (what do you think "hydrolyzed animal protein" comes from?) or wear silk or leather.

octopus

Post Wed, Mar 04 2009, 1:00 pm
The OU says that as long as the raisins were/are stored in a dry cool place they should be fine. Open the box and look- does it look like things are growing in them. As long as they were stored properly they should be okay. The frummy brands were not stored correctly and became infested.

louche

Post Wed, Mar 04 2009, 1:01 pm
octopus wrote:
The frummy brands were not stored correctly and became infested.

why does this not surprise me?

Carefulmom

Post Wed, Mar 04 2009, 3:04 pm
shock ?

Ruchel

Post Thu, Mar 05 2009, 5:53 am
louche wrote:
octopus wrote:
The frummy brands were not stored correctly and became infested.

why does this not surprise me?

ditto lol

I careful avoid taking with a hechsher personally, for financial reasons and also often cleanliness... but again I do eat strawberries (they sell them on cakes here even at the bakery with chassidish supervision), would eat celeri if I liked it, and never heard of any problem with raisins...

Mrs Bissli

Post Thu, Mar 05 2009, 9:47 am
During the year, we use Sunmaid with triangle K but not for pesach when we use frummie brands. I thought I would start stocking on kosher all year products early, but noticed I already couldn't find pesachdik raisins with proper hechsher.

I hope someone sort this through as I need raisins for my haroseth. It's already hard enough trying to find KP dates (another key ingredients for my haroseth) because of shmita and bugs...
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen