Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes
Basmati Rice with Caramelized Onions, Carrots & Raisins

Amarante

Post Tue, Nov 14 2023, 2:53 pm
This was a nice variant of rice pilaf. I might make it next time with brown rice although it wouldn't have the distinctive flavor of basmati rice. Obviously any way you cook your rice works. I use the Cooks' Illustrated baked rice recipe because it is simple and fail proof.

Basmati Rice with Caramelized Onions, Carrots & Raisins

Excerpt From: Limor Chen - My Tel Aviv Table

This is my son Eldar’s favourite rice dish. It’s the perfect accompaniment for most meat dishes, with a delicious combination of carrots, raisins and onions. It’s preferable for the paired meat dish to be without a rich sauce, as the rice has so much flavour of its own. Let the raisins heat up enough to reach the point where they puff up – that’s when the flavour changes from being too sweet to just right.

SERVES: 4–6

260g/9½oz/1½ cups white basmati rice
720ml/24fl oz/3 cups water
⅓ tsp ground cumin
⅓ tsp salt
For the caramelized onions
A few tbsp rapeseed/canola or vegetable oil
1 medium onion, sliced into thin strips
2 carrots, grated
4 tbsp raisins
½ tsp salt
⅓ tsp ground turmeric
Pinch of sumac (optional)

Wash the rice until the water runs clear. Place the rice in a medium-size pan, add the water, cumin, salt and 1 tablespoon of oil. Bring to the boil on a medium heat, then reduce to low, cover and simmer for about 15–20 minutes until all the water is absorbed. Put a clean dish towel (or paper towels) around the lid to absorb the steam as it cooks. Leave aside, covered.

Meanwhile, in a large saucepan on a medium-high heat, drizzle 4–5 tablespoons of rapeseed/canola oil. When the oil is heated, add the onion and cook until golden brown and caramelized, about 6–7 minutes. Stir occasionally.

Once the onion has a nice colour, scoop to the side of the pan. Add the carrots and cook for about 2–3 minutes until slightly golden. Make sure you have enough oil, so add some more if needed.

Add the raisins, then stir and cook until they puff up, about 3–4 minutes. Once that’s happened, reduce the heat and mix it all together. Add the salt and turmeric and mix well to incorporate.

Add the rice and stir everything together until the rice has turned a golden colour and all the ingredients are evenly mixed.

Check the flavour and add a pinch more salt if needed. The rice is ready to eat. You can sprinkle with sumac just before serving, if you like.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Tue, Nov 14 2023, 6:04 pm
I make a very similar dish for YT. Sometimes I leave out the carrots and use almonds and cinnamon, the raisins get switched to craisins...I change it up a bit here and there. Carrot rice is especially made for RH in my home 😃

Amarante

Post Tue, Nov 14 2023, 6:08 pm
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
I make a very similar dish for YT. Sometimes I leave out the carrots and use almonds and cinnamon, the raisins get switched to craisins...I change it up a bit here and there. Carrot rice is especially made for RH in my home 😃

Dried cherries wouid be good as well.

The cinnamon and almonds reminds me of b’stilla flavors
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes