Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Names for body parts and bodily functions (merged)
  Previous  1  2  3 6  7  8 14  15  16  Next

faigie

Post Mon, Jul 10 2006, 10:14 pm
LOL
.......I know kids like to make a mess. its gooey fun........
but I prefer to keep any words that can be leaning towards the negative, away from something like a bodily function, or referring back to a person.......
so BM it is........
call it what you will............. lol

Ruchel

Post Mon, Jul 10 2006, 10:33 pm
Crayon210 wrote:

The whole thing is NOT a tush. (I can't believe I posted that.)

LOL LOL LOL

RedVines

Post Tue, Sep 25 2007, 11:34 pm
my sils 2 yr. old twins were here and when the little girl fell down she cried "mommy, my 'gina hurts!" shock

I have a 5 yr. old who doesnt know the right words. Am I holding him back?!?! from what>?

what do you do? curious.... Question

HealthCoach

Post Tue, Sep 25 2007, 11:40 pm
I don't think so. We call it a making machine.

amother

Post Wed, Sep 26 2007, 12:18 am
If there is a problem somewhere, medical or inappropriate touching, etc, you would want your child to be able to use the right words to explain.

lamplighter

Post Wed, Sep 26 2007, 12:19 am
machine? with all due respect I find that odd. It is a body part and even small kids know that.

I dont have kids yet but in my parents house it was a "tushie" and I cant tell you when I learned that word, earlier than I can remember Wink

nicole81

Post Wed, Sep 26 2007, 12:25 am
I used the correct words for all parts when I taught dd everything, maybe around 16 months?

Clarissa

Post Wed, Sep 26 2007, 7:53 am
I read someplace that as soon as the kids can start naming body parts, you include the names of all of them, so they don't feel there's something wrong about needing to discuss the parts "down there." So with my son, when he was on the changing table and we were saying foot, hand, etc., we'd also add the proper name for that particular body part. That way if something was wrong, he'd know what to call it, and he wouldn't feel there was something shamefull about having one in the first place.

cl

Post Wed, Sep 26 2007, 8:43 am
for a child's back-side I have no probelm calling it a bum, tushie, bottom, bot-bot etc but the front is a little more difficult, cos im not sure whats appropriate for nursery.
I dont have a girl so I havent got that issue yet but for my sons we started off with a hebrew word for it an it doesnt sound bad 2 me cos english is my first language. but my toddler mixed up the letters n calls it a bloon-bloon. So if he needs 2 describe that part of his anatomy I will understand what he means if he says bloon-bloon.

MommyLuv

Post Wed, Sep 26 2007, 11:37 am
I taught DD to call her parts tushie and, simply, 'private part'.
I couldnt bring myself to call it v-gina...I guess it sounds too clinical and adult for a little kid.

But overly vague names have a problem too...Your child needs to be able to describe it if needed....

Sue DaNym

Post Wed, Sep 26 2007, 1:10 pm
I agree she has to have some way to refer to it. gina may be too adult for her but there must be another word you can use

Clarissa

Post Wed, Sep 26 2007, 1:14 pm
I'm not sure why the exact word is too adult. It's not much more complicated to say --gina than to say the word elbow or tushie or finger. Is it that it's too adult a notion? That I don't understand, either. Having a male or female organ isn't so adult a notion. At that age most of their comprehension has to do with basic functions (like pee-pee) or with just having them there. My son was interested for a while in nostrils, and found them just as fascinating as anything else on his body.

MommyLuv

Post Wed, Sep 26 2007, 3:21 pm
Clarissa, you're right, but it would make me uncomfortable calling it v-agina in front of other people, or in public, when taking DD to the potty or something. Calling it private part gives it the same meaning but is just a little more, well, private. Very Happy

Tamiri

Post Fri, Sep 28 2007, 9:07 am
Here in Israel, I don't know WHAT the proper name for a v**a is or a P is. I don't think there is a word in Hebrew for the female and male external relations organs, just the latin transliterations. There is a word for uterus and testicles but nothing like what is commonly used in English. For their organs, little boys are taught to say bool-bool, I don't know where that came from, but I use it (even for my kids born and brought up in the States) from age 0. My almost 3 yo calls his nipples pupiks. I told him that he has nipples on his chest, to get that straight. I hear a lot of people here referring to their privates as "pee-pees".

amother

Post Sun, Sep 30 2007, 4:30 am
Tamiri wrote:
Here in Israel, I don't know WHAT the proper name for a v**a is or a P is. I don't think there is a word in Hebrew for the female and male external relations organs, just the latin transliterations. There is a word for uterus and testicles but nothing like what is commonly used in English. For their organs, little boys are taught to say bool-bool, I don't know where that came from, but I use it (even for my kids born and brought up in the States) from age 0. My almost 3 yo calls his nipples pupiks. I told him that he has nipples on his chest, to get that straight. I hear a lot of people here referring to their privates as "pee-pees".

(I hope I don't get in trouble for posting this, but the words used are pin and pot.)

Tamiri

Post Sun, Sep 30 2007, 4:33 am
Ah, thank you. I grew up here and never heard those words used. Articles do have them but I thought they were "made up". Just one of those things.

YALT

Post Sun, Sep 30 2007, 6:08 am
DH grew up thinking his part was called "kiki".
The funny thing is, that's how DS says cake/cookie.

amother

Post Mon, Oct 01 2007, 11:50 am
I told DS that his front part is his"pishy" and the back is his "tushy". We don't use the proper word for his "pishy" because even my DH doesn't use the proper word since it doesn't exist in Lashon Hakodesh. DH says "eiver" (only when he really needs to, otherwise he just says "down there" or something similar") since that is the term used by poskim.

GAMZu

Post Mon, Oct 01 2007, 1:48 pm
Kids can perfectly well describe pain or inappropriate touching without saying medical terms.
If my son says his pee-pee hurts, I know what he means, obviously.

As for portraying that there's something shameful about that body part: Two things:
1. the kids don't know that's not the real name and will not be confused.
2. it isn't like the rest of the body. It's private, and don't pretend you can treat it like a finger or head.

Clarissa

Post Mon, Oct 01 2007, 1:57 pm
GAMZu wrote:
Kids can perfectly well describe pain or inappropriate touching without saying medical terms.
If my son says his pee-pee hurts, I know what he means, obviously.

As for portraying that there's something shameful about that body part: Two things:
1. the kids don't know that's not the real name and will not be confused.
2. it isn't like the rest of the body. It's private, and don't pretend you can treat it like a finger or head.

I guess one of my basic disagreement with your premise is that I don't consider the actual names of these body parts to be "medical terms," any more than hair, ear or elbow. They're simply what they're called, and this doesn't make me, or my children, uncomfortable. My kids know enough not to loudly announce these words at school or anything, but they're comfortable using the words in private conversation with us or with doctors. They know the difference between parts themselves being private and the words that are used to describe them. There's nothing private to me about the word ---gina or --nis, but the parts themselves are private. Also, there are several different "private parts" in a person's genital (is that word acceptable?) area, and I don't mind my kids understanding the specific parts, once they're old enough to feel comfortable with the notion. I definitely take their ages into account when talking about anything, including those things.

At what age do you think your son will be old enough to call it something other than a "pee-pee"?
Page 7 of 16   Previous  1  2  3 6  7  8 14  15  16  Next Recent Topics