Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
How do you afford life?
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next

sarahd

Post Tue, Jun 27 2006, 4:29 am
There are ways to cut back that people don't generally consider, as chen described. My sister lives the same way. I don't think she's bought herself a dress since she got married (22 years ago). Well, maternity stuff I guess - for the first kid or two. Otherwise she gets hand-me-downs. Maybe 2-3 new sheitels in all that time. She buys the kids' clothes at Walmart and Payless. They do home maintenance themselves, make very modest simchas, eat simply, go on one- or two-day vacations every few years. My sister has never had a cleaning lady, not even for five minutes in 22 years of marriage and she works three days a week.

And shopping in thrift shops is great. You can get designer stuff for pennies on the dollar.

suomynona

Post Tue, Jun 27 2006, 5:11 am
Those of you who don't eat chicken or meat during the week, what do you make for supper?

supermom

Post Tue, Jun 27 2006, 5:16 am
PAREVE OR MILK

rice
noodles
potatoes
soup
lasagna
tuna
pizza

You can make anything that you can think of.

That is what we do to meat and chicken only on shabbos

sarahd

Post Tue, Jun 27 2006, 5:28 am
suomynona wrote:
Those of you who don't eat chicken or meat during the week, what do you make for supper?

Nourishing soups, with scrambled eggs and potatoes/bean dishes/rice/tuna/macaroni casseroles/shlishkes - stuff that's cheap and filling.

PinkandYellow

Post Tue, Jun 27 2006, 5:38 am
Quote:
Plane tickets back and forth 3x a year,

Why? When?

suomynona

Post Tue, Jun 27 2006, 5:42 am
Most of that stuff seems so fattening and unhealthy. Also I can't imagine my husband feeling full enough on any of that. To me it sounds great, if I wouldn't have to worry about weight gain.
I eat tuna and eggs for lunch. What do you eat for lunch if you eat those for supper?

shalhevet

Post Tue, Jun 27 2006, 5:51 am
In Israel I'm not so sure that tuna works out cheaper than chicken or turkey.

willow

Post Tue, Jun 27 2006, 6:13 am
suomynona, you can use all different types of beans and lentils to make tasty, healthy and cheap meals. I do it all the time. And although my dh is a huge meat fan he appreciates it and enjoys the variety.

Raisin

Post Tue, Jun 27 2006, 6:18 am
things like lentils, beans etc are very cheap (and healthy, and low fat...)if you can get your family to like them. Especially the dried stuff, though you can get very cheap tinned beans as well. I have made: shepherds pie using lentils instead of meat (found recipie on google) black beans and rice (from spice and s.) lentil burgers, vegetable stew (onion, potatoes, carrots, mushrooms, sweet potatoes, celery, tin of tomatoes and a tin of beans. then if you like, the recipe calls for a crust flour, butter cheese and chives, that you bake on top)

When I was growing up we had things like eggs every night with lots of vegetables. We NEVER ate out. The first time I ate out was well into my teens.

defy are you thinking of homeschooling? I do not homeschool, but I have to supplement my kids schooling. b'h we have no school fees, but at some point, like tefila we will have to send our kids away to school and I don't know how we will afford it. I guess we will eat lentils every night...

supermom

Post Tue, Jun 27 2006, 6:30 am
mummyof6 wrote:
In Israel I'm not so sure that tuna works out cheaper than chicken or turkey.

For us it comes out cheaper since we only use four cans at a time that is like what 15 shekals and with a salad and pita it still comes out cheaper. With chicken I would need two chickens to feed all of us since we don't like the white meat. And turkey we don't like.

elisecohen

Post Tue, Jun 27 2006, 6:37 am
Defy we homeschooled for several years, partly due to school costs. Right now all 4 of our older kids are in school though. We may well hs some of them in the future as appropriate.

We also eat only vegetarian (vegan) during the week, both for health/environmental and $ reasons. We don't get vacations (well, except for a week at the beach my mother pays for to take all her grandkids); drive 2 10 year old cars, buy our clothing at thrift stores, don't do summer camp except public ones that are part-day and very cheap, I've never ever had a custom sheitel (the one I have was $250, and I only have that because my MIL paid 50% as an anniversary gift several years ago for our 10th anniversary).

suomynona

Post Tue, Jun 27 2006, 6:41 am
willow wrote:
suomynona, you can use all different types of beans and lentils to make tasty, healthy and cheap meals. I do it all the time. And although my dh is a huge meat fan he appreciates it and enjoys the variety.

Can you tell me some recipes?
(Although I still think my husband will consider them side dishes).

Mitzvahmom

Post Tue, Jun 27 2006, 7:55 am
Yes please recipies... Also options for the kids..

My kids look at beans and say ewwwwww

and tuna well, it's hard to find tuna around here that is kosher enough.

shoy18

Post Tue, Jun 27 2006, 8:20 am
making your own pizza is cheap and easy... you can even go into the pizza store and buy the dough from the store you like for like $4

DefyGravity

Post Tue, Jun 27 2006, 8:33 am
Quote:
defy are you thinking of homeschooling? I do not homeschool, but I have to supplement my kids schooling. b'h we have no school fees, but at some point, like tefila we will have to send our kids away to school and I don't know how we will afford it. I guess we will eat lentils every night...

My husband is a big advocate of homeschooling, and if it's something that's feasable, I'd be interested. I'd love to save all that tuition money, but at the same time, I think it's good for kids socially to go to school.

willow

Post Tue, Jun 27 2006, 8:50 am
My pleasure Very Happy
here is a basic recipe that you can play around with.
I take beans, fresh garlic, fresh parsley/corriander, onion, carrot, olive oil salt and pepper (sometimes lemon juice) and throw it in your food processor. then you can heat it up in a non stick skittlet serve in fresh whle wheat pita with lots fresh veggies. Or bind with some eggs and matza meal/flour and make bean patties.

serve on top of rice and it does make a complete meal:
2 tablespoons butter (I use olive oil)
2-3 garlic cloves, finely minced
2 cups yellow lentils
4 cups vegetable broth or chicken broth
1 tablespoon gingerroot, freshly grated (I use dried)
1 grated lemon, zest of
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
salt, to taste
pepper, to taste
In a saucepan over medium-high heat melt the butter and add the garlic. Stir and cook until just beginning to brown, about 1 minute.
Add the yellow lentils, stir to coat with the melted butter, then add the broth. Simmer, covered, until the lentils are tender but not too mushy, approximately 20-30 minutes.
The lentils will thicken as they cool down.
Stir in the fresh ginger, lemon zest, lemon juice, salt and pepper to taste

If these type of recipe interest you I will happily post more.
By the way elisecohen has the best healthy recipes Very Happy

willow

Post Tue, Jun 27 2006, 8:54 am
Mitzvahmom if you make the bean thing just don't tell them its beans! (Actually I think it taste lot like falafel)

southernbubby

Post Tue, Jun 27 2006, 8:57 am
With our children going to far away yeshivas, we keep the airlines in business. Still, it amazes me how much money we WASTE. For example, cell phone overcharges, traffic tickets, forgetting to shut off lights, preheating the oven for too long, making too much food or forgetting to freeze leftovers, wasting expensive gasoline with worthless running around, using more than necessary of detergent, toothpaste, etc. How about when we neglect our teeth and run up dental bills? Are we shopping for recreation or do we really need one more handbag or piece of jewelry? Are your kids using half a roll of toilet paper for each trip to the bathroom? Can we be clean with shorter showers or less full bathtubs? Do you need to buy kids a camp wardrobe or could you get the stuff at the thrift store? Do we buy unneeded items because
of disorganizaton? With all of the money that we have wasted, we would probably have enough for one more year of full tuition. Anyone else feel that way?

chen

Post Tue, Jun 27 2006, 9:29 am
southernbubby wrote:
With all of the money that we have wasted, we would probably have enough for one more year of full tuition. Anyone else feel that way?

southernbubby, you are 100% right. I like to think of myself as very frugal, but I know it's possible to do lots better. I know how much spoiled produce hits the trash can, how many dresses hang in the closet nearly new because they don't fit, and all those awful little "leaks" you mentioned and more. (Why, oh why won't the family remember to turn off the computer and peripherals when they are finished using them?)

If anyone believes there is nothing more she can do to save money, read The Tightwad Gazette! The writer is a bit of a fanatic, and some of her ideas won't work for a frum household, but there is plenty there to choose from.

Some things won't work for you (it's hard to raise your own vegetables when you live in a city apartment with no balcony) and others may not be worth the effort or the embarrassment: e.g., giving schoolchildren partly-used notebooks or broken crayons when school starts. All children want new school supplies, and their embarrassment is not worth the money you save by giving them old, especially if you stock up when supplies are on sale. (Of course you don't throw out the old school supplies: you use them yourself, or give them back to the kids to fill in midway through the year, when their notebooks are anyway wrinkled and their crayons broken.)

Still, there is almost always some way you can cut back on expenses, although it usually involves work and thought. We need to get rid of the mindset that "it's not worth doing X or doing without Y because it saves only $Z." $Z saved is $Z that you have for something else.

yedidya's mom

Post Tue, Jun 27 2006, 9:36 am
I agree with you southernbubby. My dh is very wasteful with tissues, toilet paper, mouthwash, shampoo, etc. but honestly I don't say anything bec. at the end of the day is that really what is breaking the bank? more likely its my new addiction to ice coffe (the slushly kind) in the store down the block which I am having a hard time breaking but blaming on pregnancy cravings embarrassed
Page 2 of 7   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next Recent Topics