Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
Was this right?
Previous  1  2

Frumdoc

Post Fri, Feb 21 2014, 4:17 am
My dh has a theory, put some item of furniture by the dumpster, it will take a week to go. Put a sign on it "$20, please pay inside", it will vanish within half a hour. People want something for nothing, but prefer to take something perceived as having some value.

My brother, when moving home in Israel, left some furniture on the street outside while he carried other things up, and came back down to find some people taking it away. It took a lot of persuasion to get them to give back his brand new oven. He then learnt to leave one of the children watching it, trained to call Abba if anyone got within spitting distance!

We started off married life with some rescued furniture. Still have some of it. Our kitchen chairs were left on the street by someone making aliya, I walked past, saw them and called my dh to come pick them up. The homeowner saw me standing there waiting, came out, started chatting, and then offered me the table (which we also took), and to help ourselves when they left the following week. Recycling is great!
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette