Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
11 year old DS overly affectionate
Previous  1  2

amother
Rainbow

Post Sun, Aug 20 2023, 4:55 pm
I have 9 kids. My "mushy" and physically affectionate kids (just under half) are usually like you described until about 13. When they sit next to me they snuggle.....I try to reciprocate. Then, just as I'm thinking how much longer will they be like this , both my affectionate boys and girls pull back.

I think 11 is normal even for "average" kids.

naturalmom5

Post Sun, Aug 20 2023, 5:02 pm
its a personality thing

My 27 y old is very mushy and huggy
And always says I love you in person/phone/email/watsapp

My 25 y old never lets me hug in and never says I love you
He acts cold all the time

amother
Melon

Post Mon, Aug 21 2023, 12:08 am
OP,

I get you. My 11 year old DS is the same, and I also worry whether this is normal.

Like, he asks for a hug every five minutes or so, and won't let go. Seriously, if I don't say in a joking way, "come back soon for another one", he won't ever let go. Every few minutes he looks at me or my husband and says, "Mommy/ Daddy I love you" or "you are so yummy". He snuggles but in a weird way- like won't stop touching me up and down. He does the same to my husband.

He is probably sensory craving, but he also talks that way when he's not touching. My other kids (boys and girls) all like good night hugs, etc. but no one to this extent.

B'Syata D'Shmya

Post Mon, Aug 21 2023, 7:07 am
amother Bluebonnet wrote:
You're not being bashed. People are sharing their opinions. Isn't this why you started this thread?
Why should it be a sign of something else or that he's lacking something?? Some kids are just like that. He likes hugs and kisses. You said you're the same way. Are you lacking something?
It's a nature. Nothing to worry about.

This is bashing. Also this "What a terrible thing to think your son is not normal for giving you love . Poor child …". The same sentiments and opinions can be said without the insults. I am sure you are writing those words not realizing they are barbs, and perhaps a tinge of jealousy that she has this situation.
OP this is one of the problems on imamother, I guess you knew that from the start. Filter..

OP there is a normal stage in a sons life where he is overly demonstrative of his love and protection of his Mother. Enjoy it now as long as its appropriate. If you feel uncomfortable, redirect him to what makes you comfortable. This may also be a sign that he needs to develop his relationship with his father, can they do some one on one activities together to bond?

amother
Seashell

Post Mon, Aug 21 2023, 11:37 pm
How lovely that your son expresses love to his Mom. Not abnormal at all, but probably will lessen or stop as he gets older. My son started giving me the side hug by shortly after bar mitzvah, and by high school he did not want his mommy touching him! I try not to be insulted and we even joke about it. Hopefully, one day in the future there will be someone else who is the subject of his affection.

mommy3b2c

Post Mon, Aug 21 2023, 11:52 pm
amother OP wrote:
Thank you!

My apologies for expressing myself in an overly harsh way .

amother
OP

Post Thu, Aug 24 2023, 5:01 pm
B'Siyata DiShamaya wrote:
This is bashing. Also this "What a terrible thing to think your son is not normal for giving you love . Poor child …". The same sentiments and opinions can be said without the insults. I am sure you are writing those words not realizing they are barbs, and perhaps a tinge of jealousy that she has this situation.
OP this is one of the problems on imamother, I guess you knew that from the start. Filter..

Thank you for understanding

amother
OP

mommy3b2c wrote:
My apologies for expressing myself in an overly harsh way .

Accepted, and forgiven
I appreciate the apology

amother
OP

Thank you everyone for your thoughts, I appreciate it!

amother
Valerian

Post Thu, Aug 24 2023, 5:42 pm
As someone said, “Enjoy it while it lasts”. My son wanted to cuddle until he was 13. I did worry about it a little, too. As much as I enjoyed it. So I totally get your question. He stopped doing it and now chills in his own room or with his friends. And we have a great relationship with him. Enjoy. It’s completely normal for some kids.

jersey mom

Post Thu, Aug 24 2023, 7:20 pm
Read "the 5 love languages" it sounds like touch is his love language.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics