Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Dovy for dovid
Previous  1  2

mommy3b2c

Post Sun, Sep 03 2023, 1:23 pm
amother OP wrote:
Because none of the others sit well with me. Lol. Most are saying don't do it. Ugh.

Seriously? Just do whatever you want . And when his full name is important, make sure the people who need to know are aware. And make sure your kid is aware as well so some all knowing type of people don’t convince him he’s wrong about his actually name , like one teacher mine once tried to convince me about my name .

Ema of 5

Post Sun, Sep 03 2023, 3:26 pm
amother Crimson wrote:
Yeah but in Israel there's no suf, vet, etc.

Suf is tuf and vet is bet, so Dovi becomes Dubi. I guess technically it could be doby but Israelis are familiar with the name Dubi so they assume you are a Dubi.

Of course there’s vet and bet. There’s Devorah, reuvain, chaviva, bracha, ruby….

amother
Orange

Post Tue, May 14 2024, 1:28 pm
Op do you call your son dovy?
Curious because I plan to do that and I see people here were against it, I want to do it anyway

amother
Crimson

Post Tue, May 14 2024, 1:33 pm
Ema of 5 wrote:
Of course there’s vet and bet. There’s Devorah, reuvain, chaviva, bracha, ruby….

You are right. Hmmm not sure why Israelis have such a hard time pronouncing his name. I guess because the name Dubi is common here and there's no nekudos when you write so when he writes Dovy in Hebrew it's written the same way.

But even verbally people really struggle to pronounce it and don't understand where his name is from and what it is.

amother
Lily

Post Tue, May 14 2024, 2:49 pm
DH is Eli short for Elazar. Everyone assumes his name is Eliyahu or Eliezer, sometimes Elimelech, but no-one guesses Elazar. Guess it's unusual. Who really cares though? What's the difference if everone assumes his name is Dov?

Brit in Israel

Post Tue, May 14 2024, 3:23 pm
My bil is Dovi for Dov.
Another bil through marriage is Dovie from Dovid, he is American so pronounced more as Doughvie...
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names