Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Dovy for dovid
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, Sep 03 2023, 12:08 am
I know dovid usually is duh vee rhyming with lovey. But is it weird if I call my kid dovy as in doh vee rhyming with homey.? Do you know any dovys that are dovid and not dov?

amother
Antiquewhite

Post Sun, Sep 03 2023, 12:10 am
Doe Vee (Dovy) is the nickname for the Hebrew name Dov (like Dov Ber).

amother
Hunter

Post Sun, Sep 03 2023, 12:12 am
Everyone would assume his name is Dov

amother
Alyssum

Post Sun, Sep 03 2023, 12:20 am
Yes, it's weird. Don't do it.

you can do Duvy (Doovy), Dubi, Davy, Dave, Dahvee, Duhvee (although that's how Chabad says it for Dov), Dudu, etc for Dovid.

But if you ignore this, and you can, don't be mad when everyone assumes his full name is Dov.

amother
Raspberry

Post Sun, Sep 03 2023, 12:53 am
I know a child with a name like that and his full name is Dovid.

amother
Kiwi

Post Sun, Sep 03 2023, 1:08 am
Please just don’t

amother
Amethyst

Post Sun, Sep 03 2023, 2:04 am
Yes why not

amother
Amethyst

Post Sun, Sep 03 2023, 2:04 am
Yes why not

salt

Post Sun, Sep 03 2023, 2:08 am
amother OP wrote:
I know dovid usually is duh vee rhyming with lovey. But is it weird if I call my kid dovy as in doh vee rhyming with homey.? Do you know any dovys that are dovid and not dov?

Doh-vee ryhming with homey - means you are pronouncing the first syllable דו - daled - cholam - but the name Dovid is a dalet with a kamatz - so if you wouldn't say his full name Doh-vid (ryhming with covid) - then why would you say his nickname Doh-vee?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Sep 03 2023, 10:21 am
salt wrote:
Doh-vee ryhming with homey - means you are pronouncing the first syllable דו - daled - cholam - but the name Dovid is a dalet with a kamatz - so if you wouldn't say his full name Doh-vid (ryhming with covid) - then why would you say his nickname Doh-vee?

Because none of the others sit well with me. Lol. Most are saying don't do it. Ugh.

amother
Powderblue

Post Sun, Sep 03 2023, 11:01 am
I have a Dovi for Dovid, but I live in the UK where Dovi is pronounced closer to Dovid than Dov.

Not sure that helps you, but just putting it out there in case it does.

mamaleh

Post Sun, Sep 03 2023, 11:29 am
I know a Dovi who is Dovid. It’s really up to you! Nicknames are whatever people use, there is no right or wrong.

amother
Lightyellow

Post Sun, Sep 03 2023, 12:16 pm
My grandson is dovi full name is Dovid with another name who cares what other people think

amother
OP

Post Sun, Sep 03 2023, 12:19 pm
amother Lightyellow wrote:
My grandson is dovi full name is Dovid with another name who cares what other people think

Thanks. Guess it's done just not common.

amother
Opal

Post Sun, Sep 03 2023, 12:24 pm
my son is Duvi, as in Duvid without the d at the end.

amother
Crimson

Post Sun, Sep 03 2023, 12:25 pm
Don't do it if you live in Israel too. Translates to teddy bear which is cute if you're five but not when youre 30

amother
Tomato

Post Sun, Sep 03 2023, 12:29 pm
I know a duvi, a dudi and a dubi all Dovid.
I also know a dovy for dov.

Names and nicknames stick and if it's mixed up it might be a pain in the butt later on....

My husband is Shimon and another name. For some reason my mil put his name down on his birth certificate as Sam.
When we moved here one of our neighbors knew dh from work and called him by his legal name and the name he goes by at work Sam. And somehow his name officially changed to Sam.
Recently our rav made him aware about the kabalahlistic issues with being called Like this officially so now it's a mix....

His current job is a bit of a public servant type position and often times in the local newspaper and weeklies and on the RARE occasion it happens that they put his name down right, all the other times everyones so creative with coming up with names. It's so silly that whenever we know he'll be in the papers we go check how wrong they got it now. Hilarious.

There were a group of 4 men who worked on a volunteer project for years together. Oftentimes in daily contact with these poeple and with the local Jewish organization. At the conclusion of the project the local Jewish organization put put a flyer about the conclusion of it and a thank you AND THEY GOT HIS NAME WRONG!!!! we constantly laugh about it.

But I know some people might find that annoying or upsetting.
Keep in mind, if you call your son dovy fir dovid you might be setting him up for confusion later on.

Ema of 5

Post Sun, Sep 03 2023, 12:30 pm
amother Crimson wrote:
Don't do it if you live in Israel too. Translates to teddy bear which is cute if you're five but not when youre 30

Isn’t dooby teddy bear?

amother
Crimson

Post Sun, Sep 03 2023, 1:11 pm
Ema of 5 wrote:
Isn’t dooby teddy bear?

Yeah but in Israel there's no suf, vet, etc.

Suf is tuf and vet is bet, so Dovi becomes Dubi. I guess technically it could be doby but Israelis are familiar with the name Dubi so they assume you are a Dubi.

bsy

Post Sun, Sep 03 2023, 1:15 pm
I have a dovid and call him dovid or dovid'l
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names