Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
SSI for child how do we qualify
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother
Eggplant

Post Wed, Sep 13 2023, 2:20 pm
amother OP wrote:
It was SSI. I had a phone interview. I'm in OH. They took all the financial info and then said we don't qualify because of the second car

Did you provide the medical information?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Sep 13 2023, 2:21 pm
amother Eggplant wrote:
I certainly didn’t mean to insult you. I know it looks overwhelming but what I’m trying to say is that it’s not as bad as it would seem.

When you applied did you provide all the necessary medical documents supporting the disability? SSI is typically not income based when the diagnosis of disability supports it

I applied on the phone. They only take phone applications for kids. They asked financial stuff before disability stuff and said we don't qualify due to the car.

The financial breakdown of how they figure it out is what I'd like explained, that's what I find so confusing. Is there another way to work around this?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Sep 13 2023, 2:21 pm
amother Eggplant wrote:
Did you provide the medical information?

They didnt get to it yet

amother
OP

Post Wed, Sep 13 2023, 2:22 pm
mitzva wrote:
pm me and I will give you an email to someone who can help you.

Thank you so so much! Can I email you? Just don't want to give my username.

amother
Daphne

Post Wed, Sep 13 2023, 2:35 pm
They do look at income for disability eligibility. I get ssi for a child with disability and when income increased they cut down the amount they give per month.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Sep 13 2023, 2:41 pm
[quote="amother Daphne"]They do look at income for disability eligibility. I get ssi for a child with disability and when income increased they cut down the amount they give per month.[/quote
Yes exactly. They didn't even get to the medical part yet and said we aren't eligible due to the second car putting us over the threshold

amother
DarkPurple

Post Wed, Sep 13 2023, 3:06 pm
Second car is an automatic disqualification

cnc

Post Wed, Sep 13 2023, 3:10 pm
amother Thistle wrote:
Maybe you were trying to apply for Medicaid or social security?
SSI is NOT social security.
It’s Supplemental Security Income which is for people with disabilities. I don’t think it’s income based. Maybe it depends how old your child is and which state you live in?

Definitely based on income and assets.
You can’t have more than a certain amount of money in the bank at any given point (and the amount is pretty low…)

amother
OP

Post Wed, Sep 13 2023, 3:10 pm
amother DarkPurple wrote:
Second car is an automatic disqualification

Aww shucks.

Thanks for clarifying.
It's such a backwards system. We got the car before the disability I used it to go to work, DH used his for work. Now I don't work because of all these appointments, but I still have the car so I can actually get to the appointments

TwinsMommy

Post Wed, Sep 13 2023, 3:18 pm
You can own one car and lease one car if financially you'd otherwise qualify. But you have to qualify both financially AND the child's disability has to affect everyday functioning in a major way. There are charts that show income per month versus how many children are eligible and ineligible in the family.

amother
Smokey

Post Wed, Sep 13 2023, 3:20 pm
SSI is for individuals with low income and disabilities. My son is clearly disabled and didn’t qualify for SSI while he was under 18 years old because they looked at my income and assets. Once he turned 18, he qualified because then the only consideration was his (nonexistent) income.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Sep 13 2023, 3:20 pm
TwinsMommy wrote:
You can own one car and lease one car if financially you'd otherwise qualify. But you have to qualify both financially AND the child's disability has to affect everyday functioning in a major way. There are charts that show income per month versus how many children are eligible and ineligible in the family.

So they didn't even get up to the disability yet.

But we own one car and are paying off the second and they said based on the amount of the worth of the second vehicle (mind you it's a 2011) we don't qualify.

Cmon be nice

Post Wed, Sep 13 2023, 3:22 pm
OP, I have kids wiht SSI and know what you are talking about. If you want you can PM me, but the way it works is that even if the kid medically qualifies, you also have to show very little in assets, mainly cash in bank, and car. The house you live in doesnt count, whether you own or rent, and they dont count one car.
I think youre allowed to have 2k in total assets, and 1k for the kid. So even if you have nothing in the bank, and they dont count the first car, if they determine that your second car is worth more than 3k, you dont qualify. If its a lease it doesnt count as a asset, as its not yours, and if you have a car loan, they count the amount of principle payments.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Sep 13 2023, 3:22 pm
amother Smokey wrote:
SSI is for individuals with low income and disabilities. My son is clearly disabled and didn’t qualify for SSI while he was under 18 years old because they looked at my income and assets. Once he turned 18, he qualified because then the only consideration was his (nonexistent) income.

Interesting. At the same time I can't keep a job because we are at at least two appointments a week in addition to occasional missed school days. With my husband's income we would qualify, I actually just used the last bit of savings to pay something so we wouldn't be holding on to it and yet we still don't qualify because of that other car.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Sep 13 2023, 3:23 pm
Cmon be nice wrote:
OP, I have kids wiht SSI and know what you are talking about. If you want you can PM me, but the way it works is that even if the kid medically qualifies, you also have to show very little in assets, mainly cash in bank, and car. The house you live in doesnt count, whether you own or rent, and they dont count one car.
I think youre allowed to have 2k in total assets, and 1k for the kid. So even if you have nothing in the bank, and they dont count the first car, if they determine that your second car is worth more than 3k, you dont qualify. If its a lease it doesnt count as a asset, as its not yours, and if you have a car loan, they count the amount of principle payments.

Ya this is the exact issue. Gosh, I should've leased. I'm trying to be financially responsible though. But If I leased the SSI amount would probably cover the lease.
So backwards because I'm trying to be responsible

amother
Thistle

Post Wed, Sep 13 2023, 3:24 pm
amother OP wrote:
Interesting. At the same time I can't keep a job because we are at at least two appointments a week in addition to occasional missed school days. With my husband's income we would qualify, I actually just used the last bit of savings to pay something so we wouldn't be holding on to it and yet we still don't qualify because of that other car.

Maybe “sell” the car and try again

amother
OP

Post Wed, Sep 13 2023, 3:25 pm
amother Thistle wrote:
Maybe “sell” the car and try again

No because then they'd say we have all the money from the sale.

And how do I "sell"??? Is that legal?

Cmon be nice

Post Wed, Sep 13 2023, 4:18 pm
amother OP wrote:
Ya this is the exact issue. Gosh, I should've leased. I'm trying to be financially responsible though. But If I leased the SSI amount would probably cover the lease.
So backwards because I'm trying to be responsible

Yup, now how old is the car, because as the car ages, its worth less, though it takes time.
Also, make sure (if you can) that the car that theyre 'excluding' is the more expensive one.

Amarante

Post Wed, Sep 13 2023, 4:29 pm
Good explanation
https://howtogeton.wordpress.c.....-ssi/

amother
OP

Post Wed, Sep 13 2023, 4:38 pm
Cmon be nice wrote:
Yup, now how old is the car, because as the car ages, its worth less, though it takes time.
Also, make sure (if you can) that the car that theyre 'excluding' is the more expensive one.

Yes they excluded the more one.
The other one is a 2011 it's worth about 8500 kah
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics