Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Why do schools give out junk food?
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

amother
Babypink

Post Mon, Jun 15 2020, 3:13 pm
amother [ Rose ] wrote:
Most juice you buy (including kedem grape juice) has sweetener added to it. This has none. It is extremely tart, and not in a refreshing grapefruit juice type way. It tastes bad.
ive juiced fruit myself and it’s always very sweet. I don’t understand.

Also, even juice with no sweetener added is high in sugar

avrahamama

Post Mon, Jun 15 2020, 3:14 pm
We have been getting whole wheat bread, pineapples, mangos, burger patties ... My kids don't touch chicken nuggets or deli meat so I give that away... But nothing wrong with an occasional hot dog. My kids love the baby carrots when I lightly steam so they can easily chew.

Canned fruit and juice and skim milk we dont use... But I turned the juice and canned fruit into ices and they like that

Ora in town

Post Mon, Jun 15 2020, 3:39 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I think it’s great and helpful for many people that schools are giving out free food. And I know I don’t have to take it (I do take it but give away most of it). And that people should appreciate it if they get free food. Blah blah. Ok, now that we got that out of the way.. why doesn’t the government try to provide healthy food options? There’s an obesity problem? No jokes. The school lunches have been including hot dogs, white bread, and lots of other garbage made with white flour. I don’t care that they give out some unhealthy snacks, but at least try to give healthy lunches. Personally I give away most of the junk, but I can’t understand why they can’t promote healthier eating. I would never feed my kids half this garbage. I feel for those who have to rely on it and have little choice in the matter. Where’s Michelle Obama when you need her.

1) because they subsidise the production of high fructose corn syrup and not the production of fresh fruit and vegetables
2) because dry goods (I.e. junk food) are easier to handle, cheaper, longer to keep than fresh fruit and vegetables.
3) because more children like junk food. Unfortunately, there are many children who are not even familiar with fresh fruit and veggies... and adults who won't eat them or serve them at home
4) because the previous administration tried to introduce healthier food in schools, but the present administration went back to what was before, probably to please their lobbies and pressure groups... (I.e. junk food producers)

amother
Rose

Post Mon, Jun 15 2020, 3:39 pm
amother [ Babypink ] wrote:
ive juiced fruit myself and it’s always very sweet. I don’t understand.

Also, even juice with no sweetener added is high in sugar

What can I say...maybe they strained out the natural fruit sugar. I am not a big juice person, and I don't like overly sweet things anyway. This was way too tart to drink. But easier and cheaper than giving kids a whole fruit. Even though they get thrown out. And I don't blame the kids!! I couldn't drink more than a few sips myself. It's a waste of money as well as food. I am not impressed by the trickle down effects of Michelle'd health initiatives. I think it would have been more effective to promote active play. Give money or start programs to encourage more physical activity. Require more recess time instead of a total of 20 minutes per day. That would have a much bigger effect on obesity.

amother
Brunette

Post Mon, Jun 15 2020, 3:45 pm
amother [ Babypink ] wrote:
I don’t care about food groups. I want nutrient dense foods. Processed apple Juice as a fruit is pathetic.

All the people complaining about getting all this free food shouldn’t take it and just leave it for the people who need it and appreciate it.

amother
Brunette

Post Mon, Jun 15 2020, 3:46 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
And another one misses the point..
I don’t care for myself. I don’t need the food. ..

Why are you taking it? You can get food from the grocery and pick what you want.

notshanarishona

Post Mon, Jun 15 2020, 3:50 pm
The healthier the food is, typically the more expensive it is. If you get stuff for free you can’t be picky. Michelle Obama is out of politics where she belongs. When the school lunches were required to be whole wheat bread and noodles it all went into the garbage.

notshanarishona

Post Mon, Jun 15 2020, 3:51 pm
SixOfWands wrote:
The problem was it wasn't "good." Healthful, maybe.

Our schools do an abysmal job serving decent food.

That’s because kosher food costs at least 50% more than not kosher and their given the same funding.

amother
Copper

Post Mon, Jun 15 2020, 3:51 pm
This may not be popular but the fact is schools werevgiving strictly whole wheat pasta and bread for a while. Problem was the kids weren't eating it, even those who are used to it from at home like my kids....

Blessing1

Post Mon, Jun 15 2020, 3:56 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
And another one misses the point..
I don’t care for myself. I don’t need the food. My question was why the government and schools dont promote healthy eating. But you couldn’t resist telling me not complain, because after all this is imamother...

If you don't need the food, why are you taking it?
We get a nice balance between healthy and normal food. There's nothing wrong with having the occasional hot dog or chocolate milk.

amother
Pewter

Post Mon, Jun 15 2020, 4:15 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Maybe you should change your pickup location.

Thank you so much for your helpful advice- we just did. We got yummy pizza bagels today with two types of fruit and vegetables so we're good.

amother
Bisque

Post Mon, Jun 15 2020, 4:33 pm
Ironically the NYC BOE school lunches are whole wheat; fresh fruit and veggies and protein. This would include the kosher option as well which I believe has a whole wheat roll along with hummus, tuna or egg salad.

Not all children reject healthy choices particularly if they are fed healthier choices at home. This is particularly true as a measure of home income as public schools in richer neighborhoods and private schools serving wealthier people - including Jewish schools - generally have healthier meals.

Some years ago Jamie Oliver went to West Virginia which has one of the unhealthiest people in the US based on indicia such as obesity and worked with the school district in Huntington to provide lunches for the children which they liked and which were within the budgetary constraints.

dancingqueen

Post Mon, Jun 15 2020, 4:41 pm
I remember a lot of threads complaining that the lunches were too healthy under Michelle Obama. So you obviously can’t please everyone. But if the free lunch isn’t to your liking and you still feel compelled to take it, then please donate to a food pantry in your area.

amother
Royalblue

Post Mon, Jun 15 2020, 4:55 pm
what I'm curious to know is why they don't give grocery money to families and they can then chose what to buy. would also save so much labor for all the people putting together all these meals.
I'm very grateful to the program because my kids do eat most of it, we do get fruits and veggies and some protein, although I agree the main part of each meal is white flour based but I did think that while were getting it anyway and how we keep hearing how "this generation eats so much junk" and "obesity is on the rise" so why not give more protein and healthy food. they give tuna with so much mayo that it's just ew. why not just give a tuna can...

amother
Rose

Post Mon, Jun 15 2020, 4:59 pm
Because there is no guarantee the money would go to food, healthy or not. Not that long ago, a teen girl was ahead of me using food stamps to pay for groceries. I could care less that she was buying junk food, but why was the government giving her money to buy tabloid magazines?
At least this way, kids who would otherwise go hungry get actual food. Even if it isn't super healthy stuff.

amother
Vermilion

Post Mon, Jun 15 2020, 5:11 pm
amother [ Copper ] wrote:
This may not be popular but the fact is schools werevgiving strictly whole wheat pasta and bread for a while. Problem was the kids weren't eating it, even those who are used to it from at home like my kids....

They probably weren't eating it because school food is generally gross to begin with, I can't imagine they ever seasoned any of the vegetables they were told to give instead of just opening up a can and tossing it into a tray. At least when schools are giving out pizza and chicken nuggets they can mask the taste with a sauce of some kind. We eat healthy at home - only whole grains, salads with homemade dressings, fruits and veggies at every meal including breakfast, etc sweets only on Shabbat but I could almost guarantee that no one in my house would eat that way if it was nasty school food.

keym

Post Mon, Jun 15 2020, 5:41 pm
amother [ Royalblue ] wrote:
what I'm curious to know is why they don't give grocery money to families and they can then chose what to buy. would also save so much labor for all the people putting together all these meals.
I'm very grateful to the program because my kids do eat most of it, we do get fruits and veggies and some protein, although I agree the main part of each meal is white flour based but I did think that while were getting it anyway and how we keep hearing how "this generation eats so much junk" and "obesity is on the rise" so why not give more protein and healthy food. they give tuna with so much mayo that it's just ew. why not just give a tuna can...

Because what would stop a parent from using that money for cigarettes or alcohol or drugs.
This way, the kids can get real food and at least won't be hungry.
And yes obesity is a problem, but so is children being actually hungry with no access to real food.
If anything, my experience shows that this food program separates between those who need and rely on the food, and those who want the convenience.
Don't get me wrong. The convenience is great, and if it's for anyone, nothing wrong with it.
But the families I know who are food poor, are not grumbling about too much milk, too much apples, too many pizza bagels, pizza snaps, pizza knishes, and too much mayo in the tuna.
They are actually eating the food.

Ora in town

Post Mon, Jun 15 2020, 5:56 pm
keym wrote:
Because what would stop a parent from using that money for cigarettes or alcohol or drugs.
This way, the kids can get real food and at least won't be hungry.
And yes obesity is a problem, but so is children being actually hungry with no access to real food.
If anything, my experience shows that this food program separates between those who need and rely on the food, and those who want the convenience.
Don't get me wrong. The convenience is great, and if it's for anyone, nothing wrong with it.
But the families I know who are food poor, are not grumbling about too much milk, too much apples, too many pizza bagels, pizza snaps, pizza knishes, and too much mayo in the tuna.
They are actually eating the food.

...and that's what makes them obese...

keym

Post Mon, Jun 15 2020, 5:59 pm
Ora in town wrote:

Rather they should starve?

amother
Vermilion

Post Mon, Jun 15 2020, 6:07 pm
Ora in town wrote:

Beggars can't be choosers.
A lot of people who rely on free food programs usually can't afford to eat healthy, may live in a food desert, might not know anything about basic nutrition or don't have the time to make meals. It's easier to just put some hot dogs in a bun and call it dinner.
Page 3 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics