Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Why do schools give out junk food?
1  2  3  4  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jun 15 2020, 2:04 pm
I think it’s great and helpful for many people that schools are giving out free food. And I know I don’t have to take it (I do take it but give away most of it). And that people should appreciate it if they get free food. Blah blah. Ok, now that we got that out of the way.. why doesn’t the government try to provide healthy food options? There’s an obesity problem? No jokes. The school lunches have been including hot dogs, white bread, and lots of other garbage made with white flour. I don’t care that they give out some unhealthy snacks, but at least try to give healthy lunches. Personally I give away most of the junk, but I can’t understand why they can’t promote healthier eating. I would never feed my kids half this garbage. I feel for those who have to rely on it and have little choice in the matter. Where’s Michelle Obama when you need her.

Blessing1

Post Mon, Jun 15 2020, 2:08 pm
Hot dogs and white bread aren't major junk. It's regular food. Same goes for white flour. Your kids never have these at home?

Last edited by Blessing1 on Mon, Jun 15 2020, 2:10 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Babypink

Post Mon, Jun 15 2020, 2:09 pm
OP this is my pet peeve too! It’s awful.

amother
Aubergine

Post Mon, Jun 15 2020, 2:10 pm
And the juice, juice juice...I'm drowning in it! Use the same money and give some more yogurt or fruit. We used to drink water once upon a time, before all this.

amother
Rose

Post Mon, Jun 15 2020, 2:14 pm
Because it stretches the $ further.

trixx

Post Mon, Jun 15 2020, 2:15 pm
Blessing1 wrote:
Hot dogs and white bread aren't major junk. It's regular food. Same goes for white flour. Your kids never have these at home?

And this is the problem.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Mon, Jun 15 2020, 2:16 pm
amother [ Aubergine ] wrote:
And the juice, juice juice...I'm drowning in it! Use the same money and give some more yogurt or fruit. We used to drink water once upon a time, before all this.

Freeze the juice and you wont have to buy ice pops the entire summer.

amother
Amber

Post Mon, Jun 15 2020, 2:24 pm
the juice counts as a serving of fruit, it is cheap and non-perishable. Speak to the caterer who has the contract.
Hot dogs and white bread are also both inexpensive and eaten by most. If they were to give multi grain bread it is a different price point and much more would be wasted because people don't eat that - they always send the lowest common denominator.

I have professional experience in community nutrition. I agree 100% with you and would love more fresh fruit and vegetables and less processed food. But I do see the practical and realistic side.

Cmon be nice

Post Mon, Jun 15 2020, 2:28 pm
But look at the bright side- they give out exclusively blue milk! G-d forbid you should have red fat milk which tastes better and is healthier, at least according to healthline.com: BOTTOM LINE:
In the past, whole milk was considered to be unhealthy because of its saturated fat content, but recent research does not support this recommendation. https://www.healthline.com/nut.....tion3

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jun 15 2020, 2:28 pm
Blessing1 wrote:

Hot dogs on occasion and only without nitrates. White bread I guess when they eat challa on shabbos, but we don’t eat a lot of challa. Or I make a healthier version. But yes, they are major junk!

amother
Pewter

Post Mon, Jun 15 2020, 2:29 pm
I don't know where you're at but where I go I get nice, nutritious lunches. Tuna and whole wheat rolls, fruits, vegetables, milk... change your pickup location instead of complaining.

amother
Babypink

Post Mon, Jun 15 2020, 2:30 pm
amother [ Amber ] wrote:
the juice counts as a serving of fruit, it is cheap and non-perishable. Speak to the caterer who has the contract.
Hot dogs and white bread are also both inexpensive and eaten by most. If they were to give multi grain bread it is a different price point and much more would be wasted because people don't eat that - they always send the lowest common denominator.

I have professional experience in community nutrition. I agree 100% with you and would love more fresh fruit and vegetables and less processed food. But I do see the practical and realistic side.
I don’t care about food groups. I want nutrient dense foods. Processed apple Juice as a fruit is pathetic.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jun 15 2020, 2:31 pm
amother [ Pewter ] wrote:
I don't know where you're at but where I go I get nice, nutritious lunches. Tuna and whole wheat rolls, fruits, vegetables, milk... change your pickup location instead of complaining.

And another one misses the point..
I don’t care for myself. I don’t need the food. My question was why the government and schools dont promote healthy eating. But you couldn’t resist telling me not complain, because after all this is imamother...

amother
Babypink

Post Mon, Jun 15 2020, 2:34 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
And another one misses the point..
I don’t care for myself. I don’t need the food. My question was why the government and schools dont promote healthy eating. But you couldn’t resist telling me not complain, because after all this is imamother...
ignorance about basic nutrition is rampant. The govt is bought off by big food. The food pyramid is a sham. It’s sad, but I don’t see it changing anytime soon. Though I wish it would.

Also, people say their kids wouldn’t touch the healthier stuff. Which isn’t at all surprising, processed food is truly addictive and on a very physiological and neurological level makes Whole Foods seem unappealing.

Sebastian

Post Mon, Jun 15 2020, 2:39 pm
Op bc the kids don't eat the healthy stuff

amother
Pewter

Post Mon, Jun 15 2020, 2:41 pm
Delete

amother
Pewter

Post Mon, Jun 15 2020, 2:42 pm
Sebastian wrote:

This.

I have whole wheat rolls stacked up in my freezer. I'm willing to send them to you....

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jun 15 2020, 2:43 pm
Sebastian wrote:

Maybe this is why...!

amother
Babypink

Post Mon, Jun 15 2020, 2:44 pm
Sebastian wrote:
chicken or egg?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jun 15 2020, 2:45 pm
amother [ Pewter ] wrote:
This.

I have whole wheat rolls stacked up in my freezer. I'm willing to send them to you....

Maybe you should change your pickup location.
Page 1 of 4 1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics