Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Is Cleveland as great as he thinks it is? + Waterbury Info
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

amother
Cappuccino

Post Wed, Aug 10 2022, 12:04 pm
amother [ Electricblue ] wrote:
You don't need money/connections to get into a kollel in Cleveland. They need the right fit of a personality and learner.

The kollel people in UH are yeshivish but more with it in and in-towny general. CH sheitels are not right at their shoulders(halevai), but the kollel families in CH do tend to be more yeshivish.

Tuition vouchers are NOT a thing of the past. We need them desperately here!!! But yes the gov keeps changing guidelines and the school district here hates edchoice, so it's a battle.
If you are low income, you qualify for free tuition.
So if a dh is in kollel and his wife teaches for 4 hours or works for Madison/LTC kind of jobs for4 hours, but they aren't paying tuition and mortgage is1500/mo, and they qualify for gov benefits, they are fine

[b] Maybe I should make a spin off convo, but really don't want to make a big thing. Curious if anyone shares my sentiments. That line got to me. It's like we're moving out of town, why are all these incomers coming and seemingly changing the landscape of the land. I sometimes feel like, just stay where you are! You were happy there, you fit in there.

Idk, when I moved out of town, it was a conscious decision to move out.of town. So I guess I was in for a surprise when it wasn't all like that πŸ™„
(I did speak about this with a few ppl, and they said no, they want to move out of town! They genuinely want rhat life style! So maybe that's what it is..)

amother
Cappuccino

Post Wed, Aug 10 2022, 12:11 pm
amother [ Electricblue ] wrote:
You don't need money/connections to get into a kollel in Cleveland. They need the right fit of a personality and learner.

The kollel people in UH are yeshivish but more with it in and in-towny general. CH sheitels are not right at their shoulders(halevai), but the kollel families in CH do tend to be more yeshivish.

Tuition vouchers are NOT a thing of the past. We need them desperately here!!! But yes the gov keeps changing guidelines and the school district here hates edchoice, so it's a battle.
If you are low income, you qualify for free tuition.
So if a dh is in kollel and his wife teaches for 4 hours or works for Madison/LTC kind of jobs for4 hours, but they aren't paying tuition and mortgage is1500/mo, and they qualify for gov benefits, they are fine

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Wed, Aug 10 2022, 12:38 pm
One EdChoice component not mentioned yet: if you qualify for the voucher due to low income, even if you income goes up, you can renew it for the full voucher amount (new for this year).
Of course you may still be obligated in the remainder of your child's tuition but you're not stuck without a voucher if your income increases.

amother
Cappuccino

Post Wed, Aug 10 2022, 12:55 pm
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
One EdChoice component not mentioned yet: if you qualify for the voucher due to low income, even if you income goes up, you can renew it for the full voucher amount (new for this year).
Of course you may still be obligated in the remainder of your child's tuition but you're not stuck without a voucher if your income increases.

Can you please elaborate on this (in more laymen terms πŸ™ˆ). Thank you!

amother
Dahlia

Post Wed, Aug 10 2022, 1:43 pm
amother [ Cappuccino ] wrote:
[b] Maybe I should make a spin off convo, but really don't want to make a big thing. Curious if anyone shares my sentiments. That line got to me. It's like we're moving out of town, why are all these incomers coming and seemingly changing the landscape of the land. I sometimes feel like, just stay where you are! You were happy there, you fit in there.

Idk, when I moved out of town, it was a conscious decision to move out.of town. So I guess I was in for a surprise when it wasn't all like that πŸ™„
(I did speak about this with a few ppl, and they said no, they want to move out of town! They genuinely want rhat life style! So maybe that's what it is..)

I’m not sure what exactly you’re referring to but as a born and bred Clevelander, I agree with your general sentiment. I drop off my kids at nursery and the other mothers (mostly kollel families) from out of town barely acknowledge my existence. I say good morning and barely get a response. I watch them pass the security guard and they can’t be bothered to say hello and thank you . Etc etc. the vibe here has certainly changed... it makes me feel like the odd one out when I’m the original!! I feel very alone and lonely many times.

amother
Cappuccino

Post Wed, Aug 10 2022, 3:51 pm

amother
OP

Post Wed, Aug 10 2022, 5:57 pm
I updated the thread title because I don't want to lose the valuable information I'm getting in one place by starting a Waterbury spinoff Very Happy

My husband and I have a few more questions about Waterbury:
1. What's the growth rate been like (I.e. in 2017 there were X amount of families, in 2022 there are now X amount)?
2. What's the approximate size of the kollelim? Just confirming that there are only 2 - Waterbury Kollel and Naugatuck.
3. How many shuls are there, and what kind of crowd do they each cater to? Do members of the kollel generally daven there on Shabbos?
4. Are the kollel wives connected and feel like part of a group, or not really?

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Wed, Aug 10 2022, 10:12 pm
Can you please elaborate on this (in more laymen terms πŸ™ˆ). Thank you!

Let's say you move to Cleveland or have a kid starting kindergarten and you make 60,000 a year with a family of 6 with no income from the husband. You get a voucher worth $5,500.
Let's say next year both parents have jobs and your combined income is now $120,000. It used to be your voucher went away or was reduced. Now you'll still get that $5,500 voucher. You likely will be liable for the remaining tuition (let's say it was 10,500 total, so now $5,000) or maybe the school will give a break (vs the first year when you weren't allowed to be charged more).
But it's still worth it to make more money whereas before this year, you'd phase out of vouchers if income got higher.

Does that make sense?
So once you have a voucher, you can keep it even if it's due to low income.

amother
Cappuccino

Post Wed, Aug 10 2022, 10:25 pm
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
Let's say you move to Cleveland or have a kid starting kindergarten and you make 60,000 a year with a family of 6 with no income from the husband. You get a voucher worth $5,500.
Let's say next year both parents have jobs and your combined income is now $120,000. It used to be your voucher went away or was reduced. Now you'll still get that $5,500 voucher. You likely will be liable for the remaining tuition (let's say it was 10,500 total, so now $5,000) or maybe the school will give a break (vs the first year when you weren't allowed to be charged more).
But it's still worth it to make more money whereas before this year, you'd phase out of vouchers if income got higher.

Does that make sense?

That made perfect sense, thank you for taking the time to explain! Fits my situation with a few details different, so very good to know!

amother
Burlywood

Post Thu, Aug 11 2022, 12:41 am

its not like that at all. UH is more with it compared to CH, but you have to know how simple CH is to understand that statement. Most people are wayyy more low key compared to NY area standards. In general, UH / beachwood areas are a lot more affluent than CH so it’s not a stark contrast between the natives and the new comers.

amother
Burgundy

Post Thu, Aug 11 2022, 9:04 am
1. What's the growth rate been like (I.e. in 2017 there were X amount of families, in 2022 there are now X amount)?
It's hard to say. I would guess that it's growing by about 10-15 families per year, but it fluctuates. There are about 300 families now, I think.
2. What's the approximate size of the kollelim? Just confirming that there are only 2 - Waterbury Kollel and Naugatuck.
The Naugatuck kollel is relatively small; I think about 12-15 families? The Waterbury one seems much bigger, maybe 20?
3. How many shuls are there, and what kind of crowd do they each cater to? Do members of the kollel generally daven there on Shabbos?
there are 3 shuls. Yeshiva -- that's where most of the kollel daven. Bnai Shalom, maybe slightly more relaxed, but there really isn't much of a difference. Shteebel -- nusach sefard, maybe a younger crowd and anyone who is heimish.
I really couldn't say -- it seems to me that they are, but as it's not really my age cohort, I don't know. In general its a frendly welcoming community.

amother
Cappuccino

Post Thu, Aug 11 2022, 9:11 am
amother [ Burlywood ] wrote:
its not like that at all. UH is more with it compared to CH, but you have to know how simple CH is to understand that statement. Most people are wayyy more low key compared to NY area standards. In general, UH / beachwood areas are a lot more affluent than CH so it’s not a stark contrast between the natives and the new comers.

Cleveland has been an unbelievably welcoming community since we've moved here. I've gotten texts from ppl, hi I heard from X you moved here, would you like to come for a shabbos meal? More than once. I was sick and my daughters playgroup teacher offered to drive her home for a few days..and take him on errands first! My meal train when we moved here got filled in 20 minutes! Just yesterday someone stopped me at a grocery store and asked if I was new, what my name is, etc. Soo many ppl dropped off desserts when we moved, we got invited out for meals all the time, etc etc Smile

amother
Quince

Post Thu, Aug 11 2022, 9:18 am
amother [ Burgundy ] wrote:
It's hard to say. I would guess that it's growing by about 10-15 families per year, but it fluctuates. There are about 300 families now, I think.
The Naugatuck kollel is relatively small; I think about 12-15 families? The Waterbury one seems much bigger, maybe 20?
there are 3 shuls. Yeshiva -- that's where most of the kollel daven. Bnai Shalom, maybe slightly more relaxed, but there really isn't much of a difference. Shteebel -- nusach sefard, maybe a younger crowd and anyone who is heimish.
I really couldn't say -- it seems to me that they are, but as it's not really my age cohort, I don't know. In general its a frendly welcoming community.

There's also the avalon shul and the blue ridge shul but both are further out and mostly only the people who live in those areas daven there

amother
Burgundy

Post Thu, Aug 11 2022, 9:23 am
amother [ Quince ] wrote:
There's also the avalon shul and the blue ridge shul but both are further out and mostly only the people who live in those areas daven there

Yes, I forgot about Avalon. Some people do walk up there on shabbos (it's a very nice crowd of people) and there are multiple minyanim there during the week. Blue ridge isn't walking distance so only BR people daven there unless there's a simcha or somthing.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Aug 11 2022, 11:34 am
Thank you for all of this information!
People have been mentioning Blue Ridge, which seems to be a development a little further out. Is it its own mini-community or does it still feel like a part of the greater Waterbury community?
Is that where younger couples start out renting/ where the rentals generally are anyway? Have there recently been houses for sale there or are they all bought up at this point?

amother
Burgundy

Post Thu, Aug 11 2022, 11:38 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thank you for all of this information!
People have been mentioning Blue Ridge, which seems to be a development a little further out. Is it its own mini-community or does it still feel like a part of the greater Waterbury community?
Is that where younger couples start out renting/ where the rentals generally are anyway? Have there recently been houses for sale there or are they all bought up at this point?

It is and it isn't. Your kids are kind of stuck there on shabbos and YT, but everyone goes to the same school.
Some of the younger couples rent there, and there always seems to be availibility. the homes and rentals there are much newer and nicer. You can build what you want also. It's a bit of different environment though so it's a good idea t o visint and get a sense.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Aug 11 2022, 11:53 am
amother [ Burgundy ] wrote:
It is and it isn't. Your kids are kind of stuck there on shabbos and YT, but everyone goes to the same school.
Some of the younger couples rent there, and there always seems to be availibility. the homes and rentals there are much newer and nicer. You can build what you want also. It's a bit of different environment though so it's a good idea t o visint and get a sense.

We'll definitely check it out.
On that note, we're planning to do a preliminary weekday visit at the end of the summer to try to get a feel for the place.
What local parks/activities are there for our children to enjoy while we're there? We don't want their entire day to be spent in the car Smile

amother
Cappuccino

Post Thu, Aug 11 2022, 12:31 pm
Hatzlacha with all your desicions! One thing to keep in mind is that even if you want to live in X community, your husband still needs to try out and get accepted into the kollel. My apologies if you're like duh I know that already πŸ€£πŸ€£πŸ™‰

amother
OP

Post Thu, Aug 11 2022, 1:27 pm
Hatzlacha with all your desicions! One thing to keep in mind is that even if you want to live in X community, your husband still needs to try out and get accepted into the kollel. My apologies if you're like duh I know that already πŸ€£πŸ€£πŸ™‰

Amen! Thanks for the reminder, kollel is a large factor in why we're looking to move!

amother
Raspberry

Post Thu, Aug 11 2022, 2:21 pm
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:

Does that make sense?

What if I currently have both failing district voucher (grandfathered in) and low income, so I pay nothing. What happens when my income goes up?
Page 3 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating