Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children
Leggings
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next

FranticFrummie

Post Fri, Jul 05 2019, 10:03 am
amother [ Scarlet ] wrote:
Hopefully someday soon they will move past this and to a higher level of tznius.)

ARGH! Why are some people harping on "levels"?

Leggings are a fashion choice, like giant hair bows on little girls. They are not an indicator that your teen is about to go ODT!

The judgement here is far more disgusting than the fad of wearing leggings with one inch of ankle showing above the socks.

amother
Cerulean

Post Fri, Jul 05 2019, 10:09 am
Who said it's different? I don't do "skin-tone" shells either.

Weirdly enough, skin tone stockings are perfectly acceptable in Lakewood. So the bare legs look is totally fine. But black leggings, which are an obvious leg covering, are baaaaad.

amother
Emerald

Post Fri, Jul 05 2019, 10:33 am
amother [ Cerulean ] wrote:
Weirdly enough, skin tone stockings are perfectly acceptable in Lakewood. So the bare legs look is totally fine. But black leggings, which are an obvious leg covering, are baaaaad.

Its not about the technicalities of tznius.

Nor is it about 'levels'.

Its about what we look like when the world looks at us - and how we dress makes us lead our 'best Jewish life'.

amother
Cerulean

Post Fri, Jul 05 2019, 10:35 am
amother [ Emerald ] wrote:

Its about what we look like when the world looks at us - and how we dress makes us lead our 'best Jewish life'.

So what does it look like when the world looks at me wearing leggings under my skirt?

karat

Post Fri, Jul 05 2019, 10:40 am
Notsobusy wrote:
My dd's school doesn't have any rule about leggings. The rule is tights only in school, but there's no rule about what they wear on their legs out of school. And teenagers like to rebel, wearing leggings instead of tights under a ankle length skirt is a pretty harmless rebellion, it's absolutely not worth the fight.

The BY schools expect the girls to apply the tznius rules outside of the school building as well.
My daughter went to a sleepaway camp one summer that caters to a non-yeshivish crowd and they do not allow leggings.

(For those accusing posters of being judgmental, this is in no way intended to be judgmental-I would love to wear leggings as well.
I love the look and it would be convenient for dressing for the gym, but I refrain from wearing them because it’s not considered acceptable in my neighborhood, and I want my girls to comply with school rules).

tigerwife

Post Fri, Jul 05 2019, 10:40 am
Forget about levels and sensitivities and all that abstractness. Some people hold that the entire lower leg needs to be covered (and the lower leg needs to technically be covered but you can see the shape. The typical way to wear leggings in warm weather is with ballet flats and no socks. Ergo, some bare skin. Doesn’t bother you? No problem. But why is it hard to understand why it may bother someone else who does hold to cover the skin by the ankle?

amother
Cerulean

Post Fri, Jul 05 2019, 10:41 am
karat wrote:
The BY schools expect the girls to apply the tznius rules outside of the school building as well.
My daughter went to a sleepaway camp one summer that caters to a non-yeshivish crowd and they do not allow leggings.

(For those accusing posters of being judgmental, this is in no way intended to be judgmental-I would love to wear leggings as well.
I love the look and it would be convenient for dressing for the gym, but I refrain from wearing them because it’s not considered acceptable in my neighborhood, and I want my girls to comply with school rules).

What makes something a tznius rule vs a general school/ uniform rule?

amother
Plum

Post Fri, Jul 05 2019, 10:47 am

The leggings aren't skin tone either. Why are black leggings under a black skirt worse than a black shell under a black sleeveless shirt?

chestnut

Post Fri, Jul 05 2019, 10:52 am

Forget about the skin tone shells. When you wear white or any color shells, everyone sees that that top/dress is sleeveless/has short sleeves/low neck. How is this unrefined look different from a leggings unrefined look?

amother
Lavender

Post Fri, Jul 05 2019, 10:53 am
tigerwife wrote:
Forget about levels and sensitivities and all that abstractness. Some people hold that the entire lower leg needs to be covered (and the lower leg needs to technically be covered but you can see the shape. The typical way to wear leggings in warm weather is with ballet flats and no socks. Ergo, some bare skin. Doesn’t bother you? No problem. But why is it hard to understand why it may bother someone else who does hold to cover the skin by the ankle?

Actually, we wear them with socks and sneakers. Tights don't work well with sneakers, even if you put socks over them.

Oh wait, are sneaker unacceptable too?
I have so much to learn before my daughter is a kallah maidel.

amother
Emerald

Post Fri, Jul 05 2019, 10:57 am
amother [ Cerulean ] wrote:
So what does it look like when the world looks at me wearing leggings under my skirt?

Not classy Smile

amother
Cerulean

Post Fri, Jul 05 2019, 11:01 am
Not classy Smile

Is that the world's opinion, or your opinion?

chestnut

Post Fri, Jul 05 2019, 11:02 am

Please tell us more about this in connection to wearing leggings. Or denim skirts. Or shells with dresses. Or long skirts. Or words on sweatshirts/t-shirts. Or curly hair not in a pony (loose). Or bigger earrings. Or a million of other non halachic "don't"s

chestnut

Post Fri, Jul 05 2019, 11:06 am
Not classy Smile

Um, so when the world themselves wear leggings with skirts or tunics or t-shirts, they think it's ok, but when Jews do, THEY think it's not classy.
I seriously doubt the world is thinking this much into what Jews wear, despite what you were taught

tigerwife

Post Fri, Jul 05 2019, 11:08 am
amother [ Lavender ] wrote:
Actually, we wear them with socks and sneakers. Tights don't work well with sneakers, even if you put socks over them.

Oh wait, are sneaker unacceptable too?
I have so much to learn before my daughter is a kallah maidel.

Hm, that’s true. I totally forgot about gym style clothes. However, I don’t think that’s a major faux pas in lakewood as I see that look all the time. It is perfectly tznius, just more casual. Something in the OP gave me the impression that her daughter wants to wear “footless tights” style over casual leggings+socks+sneakers.

chestnut

Post Fri, Jul 05 2019, 11:12 am
Tigerwife, most (?) schools prohibit leggings even with socks or with boots in winter!!

mommish613

Post Fri, Jul 05 2019, 11:13 am
WHOA. Everyone needs to calm down. You don’t have to agree with the standards in anyone’s community but please be respectful. There are many things that are not assur in the shulchan aruch but are not done in certain yeshiva/bais yaakov communities. For example, owning a dog- and there are many other such examples.

And if you do live in a community that has these standards, understand that just because they are standards for your community they may not be for others. And that’s OKAY- be respectful to that too!

No need to be preachy on either side of the table.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Fri, Jul 05 2019, 11:16 am
It's not about halacha, per say. It's about wanting to keep a measure of control over the girls and not allow any fads to invade.
So in my day the tznius lectures railed against short skirts. Then a few years later, long skirts became trendy, and they railed against those, when just a few years earlier they were fine to wear! Boots were mostly ignored until uggs became super saturated into society. Then you started hearing about rules against.
Denim skirts has always been a no-no, I guess harking back to the 80s? Maybe because that's when jeans became so ubiquitous in society. I think it's funny, though, because they actually have became much less trendy to wear now that leggings have moved in. It's an attempt to fight "battles" of at least a decade or so ago.
I personally don't do leggings because I think it looks silly and insanely hot, but I think the attempt to connect to tznius rules is exceedingly far fetched.

amother
Orchid

Post Fri, Jul 05 2019, 11:23 am
I'm chassidish and wore leggings under my boots in the winter to keep me warm, in school (and after school as well) The school doesn't even have a rule about leggings because it's obviously something that nobody would wear, but when it's under tall boots and nobody can see it?? Why in the world would that be a problem??
A lot of the examples given in this thread is more about a "look" than actual halacha of what needs to be covered and what not.
I'm chassidish, and want to look chassidish so I won't wear a denim skirt. Does that make a denim skirt not tznius? No. Just not the look I want to project.
I feel that too many rules dulls the natural sense that all women (should) have. Just look in the mirror and see, is this who I am? Is this who I want to be? Is this who I want to be seen as? If the answer is honestly, deep down yes, then you're good. (Obviously assuming that you want to be good...)

amother
Emerald

Post Fri, Jul 05 2019, 11:23 am
mommish613 wrote:
WHOA. Everyone needs to calm down. You don’t have to agree with the standards in anyone’s community but please be respectful. There are many things that are not assur in the shulchan aruch but are not done in certain yeshiva/bais yaakov communities. For example, owning a dog- and there are many other such examples.

And if you do live in a community that has these standards, understand that just because they are standards for your community they may not be for others. And that’s OKAY- be respectful to that too!

No need to be preachy on either side of the table.

Standards is really the wrong word. The word is 'dress code'.
Page 4 of 7   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children