Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children
Leggings
  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jul 04 2019, 2:24 pm
Are leggings under a skirt considered modern looking for teenage girls? If yes what do 14/15 year old girls wear in Lakewood? They don't want to wear knee socks anymore and they don't like stockings.

ra_mom

Post Thu, Jul 04 2019, 2:26 pm
Maxi skirts for the summer.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jul 04 2019, 2:37 pm
ra_mom wrote:
Maxi skirts for the summer.

Thanks that's what I suggested to them but they like the shorter skirts

amother
Cerulean

Post Thu, Jul 04 2019, 2:38 pm
What do their friends wear?

simba

Post Thu, Jul 04 2019, 2:40 pm
I assume it depends on your circles but yes, it’s a more modern look in my circles.

amother
Pearl

Post Thu, Jul 04 2019, 2:46 pm
Yes, it's considered a modern look. Especially without socks or short socks & the legs show.

amother
Lavender

Post Thu, Jul 04 2019, 2:46 pm
Is modern code for bad?

Just trying to understand

amother
Pearl

Post Thu, Jul 04 2019, 2:52 pm
Not necessarily bad no. It means that it's not acceptable in your circles or community. It's a lower standard for them.

amother
Honeydew

Post Thu, Jul 04 2019, 2:54 pm
Not considered "normal" or "yeshivish" here in lkwd but I would have zero problem with it if my daughter wanted to make sure her socks met the leggings at all times...

amother
White

Post Thu, Jul 04 2019, 3:02 pm
amother [ Pearl ] wrote:
Not necessarily bad no. It means that it's not acceptable in your circles or community. It's a lower standard for them.

Why "lower"? Maybe it's a higher standard, as it provides more coverage than tights?

mammale

Post Thu, Jul 04 2019, 3:06 pm
amother [ White ] wrote:
Why "lower"? Maybe it's a higher standard, as it provides more coverage than tights?

How so?

DVOM

Post Thu, Jul 04 2019, 3:13 pm
Who can wear leggings in this heat?? It's over 90 out there today! Save the nice thick leggings for the winter!

That having been said, I'm seeing plenty of married women in skirts and leggings these days. Maybe the standard is changing.

amother
Pearl

Post Thu, Jul 04 2019, 3:30 pm
Amother white, how does it provide more coverage than tights? It's generally worn without socks and the legs show. It's definitely not the norm for teens to wear in Lakewood.
Besides, it's so hot, I can't evem imagine wearing leggings under a skirt. Especially black leggings.

cnc

Post Thu, Jul 04 2019, 4:06 pm
amother [ White ] wrote:

How can leggings provide more coverage than tights?

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Jul 04 2019, 4:09 pm
Where I am, the girls wear cotton leggings under knee length skirts. The leggings do go down to the ankles, and they like to wear them with short boots and socks.

It's not at formal looking as tights, but I wouldn't dare say they were less "frum". It's just a different look, and says nothing about their level of yiddishkeit.

If the girls are hot, that's their problem, not yours. At least they are covering their legs with something that is not sheer, or non existent. If they cover happily without a complaining, that's 99% of chinuk!

amother
White

Post Thu, Jul 04 2019, 4:16 pm
Tights are usually less opaque than leggings.

4Sisters

Post Thu, Jul 04 2019, 4:44 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:

It's not at formal looking as tights, but I wouldn't dare say they were less "frum". It's just a different look, and says nothing about their level of yiddishkeit.

But it really DOES say something about their level. I live in the same city as you, Frantic Frummie, and NO Bais Yaakov here says in their takanon that a girl may wear leggings under a skirt. (Actually even in my US "OOT" city, the girls at BY were not allowed to wear leggings).

gingie37

Post Thu, Jul 04 2019, 4:48 pm
Oh my gd, let your daughters wear leggings!!! Why on earth is this something to fight over? stockings are soooo uncomfortable and itchy so if they want to wear leggings please just let them. There are so many more important issues to worry about. Like your daughters resenting tznius (or your version of it) because wearing leggings is a fight.

amother
Olive

Post Thu, Jul 04 2019, 5:32 pm
Everyone can wear what they want but I really dont like it. its the look of I wish I can wear leggings but im jewish and I dress tzniusdig so Ill wear the leggings and put a skirt over it.

momsrus

Post Thu, Jul 04 2019, 5:40 pm
amother [ Olive ] wrote:
Everyone can wear what they want but I really dont like it. its the look of I wish I can wear leggings but im jewish and I dress tzniusdig so Ill wear the leggings and put a skirt over it.

Same as a shell
Page 1 of 7   1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children