Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
$64 for grilled cheese and fries!
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

amother
Cadetblue

Post Tue, Nov 07 2023, 10:22 am
I stopped into a local takeout place where the breakfast special used to be around $4 and now it’s $9-$10 - and that’s to start. If you change anything it goes up a few more dollars. This is across the board. Most things have gone way up.

amother
Dustypink

Post Tue, Nov 07 2023, 10:24 am
amother Mint wrote:
Prices in Florida restaurants are overall really high but I believe their cost of operating is also. When we go on a trip there we have a food budget that’s more than the hotel lol. And we only ever go for very short for that reason.

I disagree that prices in Florida restaurant's are really high. Our experience has been that the prices at the restaurant's we eat in Florida, are cheaper then restaurant's in Monsey or Brooklyn.

Amelia Bedelia

Post Tue, Nov 07 2023, 10:30 am
I still remember how surprised I was when I went to a pizza store in NMB and a pie was only $12-16. In NY, it's close to $30!

Amarante

Post Tue, Nov 07 2023, 10:33 am
amother Hydrangea wrote:
I don't get it. McDonald's is pretty much cheap junky fast food for cheap prices. Not that I eat there, but if someone wanted cheap treif food that's probably where they'd go.

As I posted up thread, there are a lot of news stories about how expensive the cheap fast food has become. One recently discussed a burger, fries and soda at McDonalds was about $18.

kenz

Post Tue, Nov 07 2023, 10:36 am
watergirl wrote:
For how many people? And what kind of appetizer?

I'm assuming you are not referring to a blooming onion and poppers when you say you got a couple of appetizers, and a schwarma platter as the main.

Depending on the place, a few small plates can add up quickly. But I'd love to know where you went and what you got that racked up a $500 bill for a few small plates and one main.

Agreed. My husband and I splurged for our last birthdays and went to a nice place in NYC. The bill was just under $300 which for us is exorbitant. But we got a lot of food. Steak, etc. I don’t see how a couple of appetizers and 1 main could be $500, unless it was coated in gold flakes.

watergirl

Post Tue, Nov 07 2023, 10:37 am
kenz wrote:
Agreed. My husband and I splurged for our last birthdays and went to a nice place in NYC. The bill was just under $300 which for us is exorbitant. But we got a lot of food. Steak, etc. I don’t see how a couple of appetizers and 1 main could be $500, unless it was coated in gold flakes.

Right. My husband and I had a $200 gift certificate at the most expensive place where we live, we got apps, steak (each of us), sides not included in the main so we each got sides, and dessert and still had a lot left over.

amother
Dustypink

Post Tue, Nov 07 2023, 10:39 am
amother OP wrote:
To clarify - without giving too much detail, because I don't want people to guess exactly where I was in case in should be perceived as loshon hora or hurt this restaurant's business - I live in South Florida, in a not so touristy area but drove to a rather touristy area to meet a friend visiting from out of town. So yeah, this isn't Lakewood or Brooklyn. Prices for kosher food in general is more here. But this somehow just blew me away. Whatever. Like I said, next time I'll meet just for coffee instead.

I paid $50 for brunch for 2 at a local cafe in Miami. For a total of $50, we had each a generous portion of eggs, salad, home Fries, coffee, OJ, artisan bread, pastries.
We also eat at Rustiko, which is supposed to be more high end, and our total is generally under $60 for a nice amount of food.

amother
Dustypink

Post Tue, Nov 07 2023, 10:40 am
Amelia Bedelia wrote:
I still remember how surprised I was when I went to a pizza store in NMB and a pie was only $12-16. In NY, it's close to $30!

Right. The pizza shops in Miami are cheap than pizza shops in NY.

amother
Melon

Post Tue, Nov 07 2023, 10:41 am
I stopped eating out a very long time ago if a friend wants to get together we go walking or to meusam or something like that it's free and affordable and I don't have regrets or cry over it we bring our own food to snack on!

Amarante

Post Tue, Nov 07 2023, 12:27 pm
I grew up using a Toastite to make the best grilled cheese sandwiches - it was the first thing I learned how to cook as a child.

https://www.amazon.com/Toas-Ti.....7d77f

Foodies are super into mayonnaise used for a grilled cheese sandwich

The trick to making the best grilled cheese sandwich isn't just in the ingredients (mayonnaise and butter, together at last). It's also on the stove. Achieving a golden, crusty outside and oozy inside takes a little patience: if the heat is too high, the outside will scorch before the cheese melts. Cooking the slices separately at first gives the cheese a good head start. There’s no need to search out artisanal loaves or local cheese (though they won’t hurt), but definitely do not use homemade mayonnaise. Mustard, chutney or even strawberry jam (believe it) can be dabbed on the cheese as it melts, or add ham, prosciutto or slices of apple or tomato (drain on paper towels first). You can use any melting cheese, such as American, Muenster or Swiss, but not too much: part of the perfection here is in the proportion of bread to cheese.

INGREDIENTS

Yield: 1 sandwich
2slices bread, either soft sandwich squares or large peasant-style slices, not more than ½ inch thick
Butter
Mayonnaise
1 to 2 ounces grated cheddar (or other cheese), depending on size of bread

Heat a heavy pan over medium-low heat.

Thinly spread one side of each bread slice with butter. Spread the other side of each slice with mayonnaise and place the bread, mayonnaise-side-down, in the pan. Divide the cheese evenly on top of the buttered slices. Adjust the heat so the bread sizzles gently.

When the cheese is about halfway melted, use a spatula to flip one slice over on top of the other, and press lightly to melt. Keep turning the sandwich, pressing gently, until the sandwich is compact, both sides are crusty, and the cheese is melted.

Last edited by Amarante on Tue, Nov 07 2023, 4:57 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
NeonOrange

Post Tue, Nov 07 2023, 12:32 pm
Amarante wrote:
I grew up using a Toastie to make the best grilled cheese sandwiches - it was the first thing I learned how to cook as a child.

https://www.amazon.com/Toas-Ti.....7d77f

Foodies are super into mayonnaise used for a grilled cheese sandwich

The trick to making the best grilled cheese sandwich isn't just in the ingredients (mayonnaise and butter, together at last). It's also on the stove. Achieving a golden, crusty outside and oozy inside takes a little patience: if the heat is too high, the outside will scorch before the cheese melts. Cooking the slices separately at first gives the cheese a good head start. There’s no need to search out artisanal loaves or local cheese (though they won’t hurt), but definitely do not use homemade mayonnaise. Mustard, chutney or even strawberry jam (believe it) can be dabbed on the cheese as it melts, or add ham, prosciutto or slices of apple or tomato (drain on paper towels first). You can use any melting cheese, such as American, Muenster or Swiss, but not too much: part of the perfection here is in the proportion of bread to cheese.

INGREDIENTS

Yield: 1 sandwich
2slices bread, either soft sandwich squares or large peasant-style slices, not more than ½ inch thick
Butter
Mayonnaise
1 to 2 ounces grated cheddar (or other cheese), depending on size of bread

Heat a heavy pan over medium-low heat.

Thinly spread one side of each bread slice with butter. Spread the other side of each slice with mayonnaise and place the bread, mayonnaise-side-down, in the pan. Divide the cheese evenly on top of the buttered slices. Adjust the heat so the bread sizzles gently.

When the cheese is about halfway melted, use a spatula to flip one slice over on top of the other, and press lightly to melt. Keep turning the sandwich, pressing gently, until the sandwich is compact, both sides are crusty, and the cheese is melted.

This looks incredible, but I have to ask- is it sponsored by a cardiologist? Surprised

Sunny Days

Post Tue, Nov 07 2023, 1:37 pm
So, who else is having a grilled cheese sandwich for lunch?? 🤪
And I’m doing mine on sourdough!
Op, you’re invited over Very Happy

rainbow dash

Post Tue, Nov 07 2023, 2:24 pm
So here is one milky restaurant that sells only pizza, chips ,salads, and farlafel. One slice of plain pizza costs $4, and one portion of chips is $ 4.80

A fancy milky restaurant 1 whole pizza for one person is $12.84

A different fancy restaurant is 1 whole pizza $17 and chips $7

A fancy meat restaurant for a hamburger is $19.

I love eating out by myself but after receiving the bill for the school fees and other school bills I'm cutting back.

rainbow dash

Post Tue, Nov 07 2023, 2:24 pm
Sunny Days wrote:
So, who else is having a grilled cheese sandwich for lunch?? 🤪
And I’m doing mine on sourdough!
Op, you’re invited over Very Happy

With Tomato soup

Moonlight

Post Tue, Nov 07 2023, 2:28 pm
My kid asked me to order mac n cheese for her at a restaurant. I said no way am I paying $10 for mac n cheese when I can make it at home for 50 cents.

kenz

Post Tue, Nov 07 2023, 3:30 pm
Moonlight wrote:
My kid asked me to order mac n cheese for her at a restaurant. I said no way am I paying $10 for mac n cheese when I can make it at home for 50 cents.

I say the same. Amazingly my kids are perfectly happy having the homemade version.

Amarante

Post Wed, Nov 08 2023, 9:41 am
amother NeonOrange wrote:
This looks incredible, but I have to ask- is it sponsored by a cardiologist? Surprised

Well in fairness no grilled cheese sandwiches are "diet" friendly except the open face melts I would make with a slice of whole wheat bread and a slice of low fat cheese melted in the toaster oven

watergirl

Post Wed, Nov 08 2023, 9:48 am
Thanks for this post. Last night I made grilled cheese, tomato soup, knishes (I was craving them) and salmon (for my kid who needs healthy fat and loves salmon). I'm at work and dreaming of the cold leftover grilled cheese I have in my fridge at home and bitterly regretting not bringing it to work. Day old cold grilled cheese, dipped in ketchup - it's comfort food. Don't ask.

amother
Slategray

Post Wed, Nov 08 2023, 10:30 am
amother Arcticblue wrote:
There is expensive and there is idk what the word is. Business owners should have at least some responsibility on the prices they charge

A business owner can charge as much as they want.

If it’s a necessity like medical care or prescription I understand if you feel that it’s not right for them to charge a huge amount (even though there are many people that don’t like the government healthcare model).

But it’s a cafe. No one needs to go to a cafe.

If there was a limit to how much a cafe can charge in this country then our cafes would look like the dmv.

Amelia Bedelia

Post Wed, Nov 08 2023, 12:21 pm
rainbow dash wrote:
With Tomato soup

Yum! Can you please post a recipe?
Page 4 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics