Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Do you restrict your kids food intake for financial reasons?
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next

amother
Candycane

Post Thu, Apr 04 2024, 3:53 pm
How expensive are cucumbers that they need to be restricted?
Cucumbers are a staple in our house and my kids eat them all day. It's so much better than noshing on pretzels.

amother
Carnation

Post Thu, Apr 04 2024, 3:59 pm
amother Nemesia wrote:
I 100% would advocate for a lower tuition . And I believe if the tuition committee knew of your circumstances they would advocate as well
Your post made me so sad.

Hashem should bless you with an abundance of Bracha that you never feel the need to make such hard decisions again

Amen to the brachos Smile

It's funny to see this thread going at the same time as a thread telling the middle class to eat cheaper meals and less chicken during the week. When you make your menu with food costs in mind, you are restricting for financial reasons. There's levels of course but that's what it is.

We can try to pretend that food and money are not interdependent but they really are.

I'm already paying less tuition. I can't imagine asking them to lower our tuition by a further $1500 per month so we can all eat as much chicken and meat and fresh produce as we want.

amother
Narcissus

amother Candycane wrote:
How expensive are cucumbers that they need to be restricted?
Cucumbers are a staple in our house and my kids eat them all day. It's so much better than noshing on pretzels.

English cucumbers which the poster specified are more expensive than regular cucumbers - at my regular grocery store they are $1.99 each. They are less expensive at Trader Joe but I haven't bought one there in awhile so I am not sure how much they are.

Financially I am in a position where I can afford to feed my family whatever I want and in whatever quantities I want - although some people seem to think that my food offerings are "restrictive".

However if one does have a food budget I don't think it is unreasonable or "cheap" to limit a consumption of expensive stuff that is bought for a specific purpose.

At any rate, on a scale of one to ten, cucumbers are pretty devoid of nutritional value. They are mostly water which makes them ideal for people who want to control weight without feeling deprived because you can make delicious salads with cucumbers. I especially like cucumbers done with Asian seasonings like one might get in a Japanese restaurant as a starter.

Bnei Berak 10

amother Firebrick wrote:
I don't restrict healthy foods but there's a time and place for everything. You can have yogurt by breakfast but if you're hungry after supper, u can have a fruit or a vegetable.
I don't restrict protein unless I truly feel the child had enough to eat. Then I'll say wait 10 min, take a drink of water and then see if u still feel hungry. One of my young children comes home so hungry from school she can wolf down anything she looks at. 3 bowls pasta down the hatch if I don't stop her. And then complains after that her stomach hurts.
So I try to monitor what she's taking for seconds so she gets enough or even more than she probably really needs but she doesn't overeat.
So it's for her health really that I need to watch but also slightly for financial reasons because if she eats up all the extra food,, then dh doesn't have any left and will need to buy himself some takeout

This post is so sad. Why don't you just cook more so that everyone may eat until they are satisfied? Then your DH doesn't have to but take-out.
Doesn't your daughter get school lunch or is she having only snacks during the day? No wonder she's hungry by the time she comes home.

amother
Brunette

Post Thu, Apr 04 2024, 4:00 pm
amother Trillium wrote:
I don’t restrict any food at all. I want my kids to have a healthy relationship with food. I was brought up with only eating meals and no snacks ever.
I once went to someone’s house and the orange juice was only for the father. I thought it was so weird.
Everything in my house is allowed in whatever quantities they want.

A friend of mine had that. But it was because Dad was undergoing chemo so they needed to make sure he always had enough as it was one thing he could drink and take meds with.
But they didn't restrict other foods.

I restrict but mostly junk and snacks.
Or I say take a little and if you want more after then take.
The judging in this thread is awful. If one has no money for food of decent quality/healthfulness and quantity--- stop judging and saying one shouldn't do that. My goal is to have as much as they want. But if they waste it, they can't get more. And if we cannot afford it, we can't. It isn't like I am eating it and they aren't. No one is. Hopefully short term but it is what is our life.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Thu, Apr 04 2024, 4:01 pm
I think a lot depends how its said..if I assume 1 chicken bottom per person and a child wants more, I would never say no its too expensive. I may say we finished it, sorry I didn't realizse you'd want more , would you like more of something else

amother
Khaki

Post Thu, Apr 04 2024, 4:08 pm
amother Calendula wrote:
If I was your child I would be hungry. I think it’s wrong to restrict things like chicken.
I’m worried for your children, it’s not good to feel so restricted. A yogurt is considered a treat?
Please rethink your approach, it’s not healthy.

I don't restrict chicken and fish but I don't make a ton. I make a set amount and divide it. Once whatever I made is gone the rest is in the freezer usually.

In our house we do eat around half a chicken breast per person and we fill up with veggies and a starch as well.

Editing to add that all my kids are under 5. When they get big, if they would tell me they'd like me to make more chicken when I cook so they can have more I'd probably make more. Right now they are happy to eat other things with chicken and me and dh feel full with this portion size as well.

Bnei Berak 10

Post Thu, Apr 04 2024, 4:09 pm
amother Hunter wrote:
I don't restrict it but sometimes there just isn't enough for my teenage son to have seconds or thirds. If I made enough then gezunterheit eat it but he eats a ton and I can't always keep up. Not really for financial reasons, more because I just can't manage to cook more than I do.

If there isn't enough to have second portion well then I am sorry to say it's simply not enough. Cooking the double amount of something doesn't take the double amount of time.

amother
Babypink

Post Thu, Apr 04 2024, 4:19 pm
mha3484 wrote:
I live on a different planet because where I live my local chesed org runs a food program that helps the middle class. They give out chicken, eggs, cheese, produce etc. No one needs to overly restrict themself.

I do think there is a value to teaching our kids about portions, about pacing themself. I tell my kids all the time to first drink water and then decide if they are still hungry. A lot of times they are not actually hungry they were thirsty. I don't consider that restricting. Its about teaching good habits.

Where is this may I ask?
I don't know of organizations that help the middle class?

amother
Carnation

Post Thu, Apr 04 2024, 4:20 pm
Bnei Berak 10 wrote:
Meatballs vs shakshuka is a preference which isn't the same as limiting.

You would make meatballs just for yourself and tell your kids that they can only eat the shakshuka?

If this is just about not limiting protein, there are always cheaper options. We can give chickpeas or eggs in large quantity while limiting chicken and fish, but that's exactly what this thread is fighting against.

mha3484

Post Thu, Apr 04 2024, 4:27 pm
Chicago. Maybe because we are mid sized enough that we have enough resources and just the right amount of people who need the help. But have never been asked for an income, tax return. If your calling which no wants to admit they need help that's enough for them.

Also in the mid 2000s there was a study done in my community regarding obesity and I think it really startled a lot of people into A) wanting to eat healthier and B) for those on the helping end, how can we make it easier for people.

Last edited by mha3484 on Thu, Apr 04 2024, 4:30 pm; edited 1 time in total

Bnei Berak 10

Post Thu, Apr 04 2024, 4:29 pm
amother Carnation wrote:
You would make meatballs just for yourself and tell your kids that they can only eat the shakshuka?

If this is just about not limiting protein, there are always cheaper options. We can give chickpeas or eggs in large quantity while limiting chicken and fish, but that's exactly what this thread is fighting against.

I wouldn't make meatballs and tell kids they can only eat shakshuka, that's absurd IMHO.

amother
Carnation

Post Thu, Apr 04 2024, 4:30 pm
Bnei Berak 10 wrote:
I wouldn't make meatballs and tell kids they can only eat shakshuka, that's absurd IMHO.

I guess I misunderstood you then. You responded that meatballs vs shakshuka is just preference, not limiting.

amother
Hunter

Post Thu, Apr 04 2024, 4:50 pm
Bnei Berak 10 wrote:
If there isn't enough to have second portion well then I am sorry to say it's simply not enough. Cooking the double amount of something doesn't take the double amount of time.

Yes it does when it comes to breaded schnitzel for example.. how do you know that his first portion wasn't enough for him? He doesn't NEED seconds.. He often does manage to have seconds if one of the younger ones don't eat it but not always. And sometimes I'll never have enough because he loves his food. We have tons of snacks available for him to take instead. Biscuits, pretzels, fruit etc etc

Bnei Berak 10

Post Thu, Apr 04 2024, 4:54 pm
When reading this thread I realize how privileged we are in Israel to be able to enjoy great fresh produce in abundance at great prices (of course depends where you shop and if it's in season or not)
Baruch HaShem Smile

Bnei Berak 10

Post Thu, Apr 04 2024, 5:05 pm
amother Hunter wrote:
Yes it does when it comes to breaded schnitzel for example.. how do you know that his first portion wasn't enough for him? He doesn't NEED seconds.. He often does manage to have seconds if one of the younger ones don't eat it but not always. And sometimes I'll never have enough because he loves his food. We have tons of snacks available for him to take instead. Biscuits, pretzels, fruit etc etc

OK, frying schnitzels does take it's time that I admit but do you fry every supper?
Teenage boys eat a lot and that's totally normal. They need its because they grow. Be glad he wants real food as snacks like pretzels and biscuits aren't really an alternative to genuine food.

amother
Narcissus

Post Thu, Apr 04 2024, 5:05 pm
amother Calendula wrote:
I really think your mindset is unhealthy for kids.
All your restrictions and rigidly is going to mess with your kids.
Please rethink your approach or reach out to someone you respect for advice.
No child should be restricted like this.
I know someone like you IRL and all her kids have unhealthy mindsets with eating. It’s a pity.
Dinner shouldn’t have any restrictions. Let growing kids eat.

Are you seriously saying you place no limitations on the quantity of junk food that your children eat?

They can eat as much candy, cookies, ice cream, chips or other foods that really only supply calories?

As I stated to me commercial flavored yogurt is essentially junk food. It is a lot of empty sugar calories.

The cost to me is irrelevant as I would rather have a child consume a whole pint of berries for $4.00 versus one yogurt although I am not banning yogurt but teaching a child that empty calories have a place in a balanced diet.

If a child wants to have one as a treat, fine but then they are not also going to eat a portion of ice cream on the same day.

Most parents try to instill some form of nutritional education on their children by serving healthy balanced meals and snacks and limiting consumption of junk food. Of course I don't limit on special occasions when it is a child's prerogative to make themselves sick on junk. LOL

I offer as much fruit as a child wants but only a small serving of chips or one ice cream or yogurt.

amother
Trillium

Post Thu, Apr 04 2024, 5:13 pm
amother Narcissus wrote:
Are you seriously saying you place no limitations on the quantity of junk food that your children eat?

They can eat as much candy, cookies, ice cream, chips or other foods that really only supply calories?

As I stated to me commercial flavored yogurt is essentially junk food. It is a lot of empty sugar calories.

The cost to me is irrelevant as I would rather have a child consume a whole pint of berries for $4.00 versus one yogurt although I am not banning yogurt but teaching a child that empty calories have a place in a balanced diet.

If a child wants to have one as a treat, fine but then they are not also going to eat a portion of ice cream on the same day.

Most parents try to instill some form of nutritional education on their children by serving healthy balanced meals and snacks and limiting consumption of junk food. Of course I don't limit on special occasions when it is a child's prerogative to make themselves sick on junk. LOL

I offer as much fruit as a child wants but only a small serving of chips or one ice cream or yogurt.

I don’t place any limitations on junk food or desserts. Since it’s not special my kids will help themselves to one cookie and move on. I always have leftover cake after shabbos. Half my kids don’t even like candy at all.
I grew up the opposite way and I can’t stop myself from stuffing myself with cookies whenever they’re out because I’m used to the thinking that now’s my chance to eat them and who knows when my next time will be.
Bh my kids (ages 2-17) have such a healthy mindset around food.

amother
Hotpink

Post Thu, Apr 04 2024, 5:14 pm
I really hope most people don't do that. Unless they are very poor. Children should eat whatever is appropriate for their age. I do have one child who eats often only because others are eating but the other three eat until full. I have been a tables when the parents monitor portion sizes for their kids. But not for financial reasons, for health reasons.

amother
Calendula

Post Thu, Apr 04 2024, 5:23 pm
amother Brunette wrote:
A friend of mine had that. But it was because Dad was undergoing chemo so they needed to make sure he always had enough as it was one thing he could drink and take meds with.
But they didn't restrict other foods.

I restrict but mostly junk and snacks.
Or I say take a little and if you want more after then take.
The judging in this thread is awful. If one has no money for food of decent quality/healthfulness and quantity--- stop judging and saying one shouldn't do that. My goal is to have as much as they want. But if they waste it, they can't get more. And if we cannot afford it, we can't. It isn't like I am eating it and they aren't. No one is. Hopefully short term but it is what is our life.

Having unrestricted food shouldn’t be related to finances. Reach out to organizations to help with food. No kid should go to sleep hungry nowadays and have basic food restricted. No matter the amount of $ in the bank account.
Page 4 of 9   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next Recent Topics