Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Woman spends a year on Frum Womens Forums for her thesis!!!
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6 9  10  11  Next

daisy

Post Tue, Jun 30 2009, 1:59 pm
louche wrote:

I know what you mean. I was about to post that I feel used and betrayed by this person who joined under false pretenses and was merely spying on us. This is not a logical reaction at all, because we don't know that she was necessarily observing this forum; most of us don't use our real names; we know in the back of our minds that there is no true privacy here and we could be outed at any time; and yet--and yet...the term "g'neivat daat" comes to mind.

Had this woman presented herself and said "I'm doing a thesis on these kinds of forums, promise not to reveal any identifying info, go ahead and do what you do, don't mind me" that would have been appropriate. After all, that's what people do who write books about the societies they observe, like the woman who wrote "mystics, mavericks and merrymakers." true, honesty might have skewed the observations somewhat--we might have been on our best behavior rather than letting it all hang out as some of us do--but I suspect that in the long run ppl would have reverted to type and ignored the fact that we were being observed.

As it is, I feel slimed.

I agree

louche

Post Tue, Jun 30 2009, 2:04 pm
sequoia wrote:
Folks, given that she's reading this thread, maybe be a little nicer?

I don't think so. What she did was underhanded and just plain not nice. If she's offended by people airing their negative opinion of what she did, she deserves to be.

sister

Post Tue, Jun 30 2009, 2:04 pm
A year ago I finished my thesis for grad school.... I know that doing research on subjects without having there consent or knowledge is something that I NEVER would have gotten approval for from the ethics board.... I wonder if she had ethics approval. From an ethical viewpoint she was wrong, extremely wrong....

You cannot report/research people without their consent.

daisy

Post Tue, Jun 30 2009, 2:19 pm
louche wrote:
sequoia wrote:

I don't think so. What she did was underhanded and just plain not nice. If she's offended by people airing their negative opinion of what she did, she deserves to be.

Anyone can read this. It's not in a private forum.

cassandra

Post Tue, Jun 30 2009, 2:35 pm
daisy wrote:
Mama Bear wrote:
I am beyond plotzing who this can be. I'm trying to imagine every israeli MO who posted here. From what I know, she was active on imamother. or maybe still is. who knows.

if you've been elsewhere, those forums are much smaller. Wink

you're right! Now I know who it is. Her name sounded familiar and now I know why. She even attempted to start her own discussion group. She shouldn't technically be on here now. I believe she may have even admitted that she was a professor when she posted here.

merelyme

Post Tue, Jun 30 2009, 2:40 pm
sister wrote:
A year ago I finished my thesis for grad school.... I know that doing research on subjects without having there consent or knowledge is something that I NEVER would have gotten approval for from the ethics board.... I wonder if she had ethics approval. From an ethical viewpoint she was wrong, extremely wrong....

You cannot report/research people without their consent.

Thumbs Up

Barbara

Post Tue, Jun 30 2009, 2:43 pm
HindaRochel wrote:
Clarissa wrote:
Did she mention my brownie recipe?

No! Not that's nervy. But no mention of Whip, dairy or otherwise.

Look at page 4. It discusses the unnatural obsession of certain frum women with some unknown and unknowable substance known as *whip*

I haven't looked at the paper, but I might when I have some free time. The fact is that there's no privacy on the internet. Moreover, revealing who she was and what she was doing would likely taint or skew her results.

cassandra

Post Tue, Jun 30 2009, 2:47 pm
She was a very controversial poster and I'm not sure if she posted for fun and then wrote the article for sour grapes purposes or if she stirred up controversy for the purpose of her article or if she wanted to write an article but got sucked in anyway. Who knows?

Clarissa

Post Tue, Jun 30 2009, 2:49 pm
Do you really think someone would bother to publish a thesis based on sour grapes? I don't.

sequoia

Post Tue, Jun 30 2009, 2:50 pm
louche wrote:
sequoia wrote:

Ruchel doesn't seem to think so, and she's in grad school.

cassandra

Post Tue, Jun 30 2009, 3:00 pm
sequoia wrote:
louche wrote:
sequoia wrote:

Ruchel doesn't seem to think so, and she's in grad school.

What does that have to do with anything?

cassandra

Post Tue, Jun 30 2009, 3:02 pm
Clarissa wrote:
Do you really think someone would bother to publish a thesis based on sour grapes? I don't.

It wasn't a thesis. It was a silly little article in a silly little journal. It is a case in point of why I decided not to pursue academia. Yes, knowing who she is and knowing the experience she had on this board and another one I think it's plausible that she could have done something out of bitterness. Maybe not, but it's within the realm of possibility.

Clarissa

Post Tue, Jun 30 2009, 3:04 pm
I'm going to write a thesis on this thread.

I think this is between Yael and whoever did this, if Yael wants to get involved. People slip in, people who are here to cause trouble and troll around, people who are underage, people who want to work off their hostility, people with p*nises. When somebody gets in who shouldn't be here (and in this case, the determination is Yael's) it's up to her to decide if it's acceptable or not, not us.

I haven't read this thing, but was anything particularly embarrassing there? Was there something about a big-mouthed liberal who can't stop joking?

louche

Post Tue, Jun 30 2009, 3:05 pm
Clarissa wrote:

See Qualitative and quantitative analysis of the effect of premature harvesting on resveritrol content of Concord grapes, by I.M. Louche, HPh.D. , Sour Grapes University Press, June, 2009.

Clarissa

Post Tue, Jun 30 2009, 3:06 pm
louche wrote:
Clarissa wrote:

See Qualitative and quantitative analysis of the effect of premature harvesting on resveritrol content of Concord grapes, by I.M. Louche, HPh.D. , Sour Grapes University Press, June, 2009.
My first laugh of the day. Thanks, Louche!

cookielady

Post Tue, Jun 30 2009, 3:06 pm
Clarissa wrote:
I'm going to write a thesis on this thread.

I think this is between Yael and whoever did this, if Yael wants to get involved. People slip in, people who are here to cause trouble and troll around, people who are underage, people who want to work off their hostility, people with p*nises. When somebody gets in who shouldn't be here (and in this case, the determination is Yael's) it's up to her to decide if it's acceptable or not, not us.

I haven't read this thing, but was anything particularly embarrassing there? Was there something about a big-mouthed liberal who can't stop joking?

If not your brownies, then at least your mouth?

cassandra

Post Tue, Jun 30 2009, 3:07 pm
Honestly, it didn't upset me until I realized who it was. Now I have less respect for the woman than I did when she posted, if that's even possible.

You can call it a thesis, but it's misleading because it makes it seem like the woman put a lot of effort into the thing. She didn't, and I seriously doubt her involvement here had anything to do with the article, it was probably just a by product. The article didn't say anything that we the posters haven't said to each other a million times, just without the jargon and the footnotes.

Clarissa

Post Tue, Jun 30 2009, 3:07 pm
Yes, WoC, it saddens me that neither my mouth nor my baked goods made any impression on the infiltrator. It's like I'm whistling into the wind over here.

Barbara

Post Tue, Jun 30 2009, 3:10 pm
cassandra wrote:
She was a very controversial poster and I'm not sure if she posted for fun and then wrote the article for sour grapes purposes or if she stirred up controversy for the purpose of her article or if she wanted to write an article but got sucked in anyway. Who knows?

No clue who it is, but from a purely academic perspective, wouldn't that taint the results of her observations? The purpose of joining a group is to observe it in its natural state. A poster who creates controversy in order to observe the results of that controversy is no longer an unbiased observer, and is not observing the group in its natural state.

Any academics here who can comment on this?

louche

Post Tue, Jun 30 2009, 3:12 pm
Clarissa wrote:
louche wrote:
Clarissa wrote:

My first laugh of the day. Thanks, Louche!

Any time. I'm sure it's in your local bookstore; they're not exactly flying off the shelves. LOL
Page 5 of 11   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6 9  10  11  Next Recent Topics