Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads
Quick challa help!

Shmerling

Post Thu, Dec 10 2009, 10:19 am
I'm about to make challos and I'm out of regular sugar. What could happen if I use confection sugar? or honey? Would it change the taste? the consistency?

Ima2NYM_LTR

Post Thu, Dec 10 2009, 10:22 am
http://allrecipes.com/recipe/c......aspx

recipe for honey challah. cant vouch for taste, sine I just looked it up now, but it looks good.

Shmerling

Post Thu, Dec 10 2009, 10:50 am
Thanks.
Anyone have first hand experience with honey?

chicco

Post Thu, Dec 10 2009, 10:59 am
Honey can be great in Challah, though I am not sure about substituting for sugar. You are better off using a recipe that calls for it.

Ima'la

Post Thu, Dec 10 2009, 11:11 am
I've used honey in challah, but I wouldn't sub honey for all of the sugar - not more than 1/3, or 1/2 at most. It makes it heavier. In my experience, it can also make it take longer to bake through (since it is wetter) - I would recommend lightly covering your challos with aluminum foil (spray with Pam first!) for the first 10 minutes of baking so that you won't have challos that look perfect on the outside, but are not fully baked in the middle.

Do you have brown sugar? You could sub that. Or a neighbor?

louche

Post Fri, Dec 11 2009, 6:47 am
You can sub honey for sugar but you have to reduce the volume of liquid that you add because honey is basically a thick syrup of sugar in water. My challah recipe uses honey only.

http://www.ehow.com/how_217207.....html.

PinkFridge

Post Fri, Dec 11 2009, 6:52 am
Honey is fine. As you can see, there are different shitos on the matter. I personally have substituted honey this way with excellent results: use half as much honey as sugar (I.e. 1 cup sugar means 1/2 c. honey), NO added liquid. Tends to rise a little faster so keep an eye on it.

greenfire

Post Fri, Dec 11 2009, 6:53 am
quite often I use honey in place of the sugar in the same measurement - usually when I'm making whole wheat challah ... I've never had a problem - or a complaint ...

Raisin

Post Fri, Dec 11 2009, 6:57 am
I used confectioners sugar several times in challa and it works fine.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads