Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Getting money back for your childs babysitter

cb

Post Mon, Dec 14 2009, 6:11 pm
I heard there is some type of 'service' if you work for the government you can get back the money for your baby's babysitter /playgroup. anyone know what I am talking about? I need more info, figured I will try here first.

Twizzlers

Post Tue, Dec 15 2009, 11:08 am
I'm not sure if this is what you're talking about, but you can get some kind of "childcare" money back on your paycheck that is tax free. ask your payroll department about it.

iriska_meller

Post Tue, Dec 15 2009, 11:11 am
Even if it does exist, be prepared that your babysitter needs to be paid by check and you will need to provide her SSN.

chocolate moose

Post Tue, Dec 15 2009, 11:21 am
I only had a child care provider that was legal, for that reason.

ChutzPAh

Post Tue, Dec 15 2009, 11:22 am
It is only for legal day care or babysitting situations, and it's not only for people who work for the govt. Many companies have tax free child care spending accounts as a benefit.

Orchid

Post Thu, Dec 17 2009, 10:45 pm
If your company does not provide that benefit, you can still claim the expense as a credit on your tax return. But as others said, the provider must report the babysitting income on HER tax return and provide her social security number to you.

Tova

Post Fri, Dec 18 2009, 2:23 pm
Yup, sitter needs to be licensed and you preferably need her EIN/SSN (if she doesn't want to give it to you you can fill out a special form and still claim it).

Option one is a dependent care flex account in which up to $5,000 is withheld from your paycheck by your company tax free. This is paid to your sitter.

Option two is that you claim the dependent care credit when you file your taxes.

Often unlicensed sitters are cheaper, so it all evens out even though you don't get the tax benefit.

cb

Post Mon, Dec 21 2009, 9:31 pm
thanks so much for all your replys.
I will pass it on to dh, he undertands these things better that I do. Smile

DovDov

Post Wed, Dec 23 2009, 10:34 am
You can sometimes use the child care deduction for preschool, if the main reason your child is in preschool is to enable you to work.

the care provider can't be a relative.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics