Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
I have NO will power, please help me out!!!
Previous  1  2

amother

Post Thu, Dec 24 2009, 5:35 pm
sofaraway wrote:
I gained a lot of weighed when I was pregnant. 7 weeks after giving birth, I started a very serious diet, and I lost 50 lbs in 4.5 months. However, I founs that for the past month, I am not loosing much at all. And I still have 25 lbs to lose!
I decided that I need real motivation. I told my dh to buy me a ticket to ny (we're west coast) if I lose them all by rosh chodesh adar. He said yes! So I'm back on!
Ask your husb. to be supportive by buying you a very nice present YOU wanted for a very long time!
Now, that should be a little motivating!
Good luck!

I also gained a lot in pregnancy, but now my baby is 6 month old and I still have 40lb to loose, how did u loose all that weight

Blue jay

Post Thu, Dec 24 2009, 6:05 pm
After giving birth to my kids I also have an overeating problem

Amother(0P) I can relate you r not alone

Lately Ive diecided to address the stress in my life and not the food and so far I lost a little weight meaning now my clothes fit better and I think I see the outline of my chin again. ( Stay away from scales)

Jumprope 10 minutes a day, I hate it and cant stand doing it but you can burn 150 calories in 10 minutes and it really gives you strength and endorphins which you dont get from cookies

Carve out mommy down time during the day so your not stressed take coffee breaks and sit and eat and enjoy your meals dont skip!

And now Im on a quest to get out and have a ladies night out or mommy nite while my dh stays with the kids I haven't done this in years.

I guess what Im driving at is that when I overeat its because Im stressed or am trying to soothe myself with food. Why bash food ? Clear up the stress and you wont feel the need to eat as much

Good Luck

amother

Post Thu, Dec 24 2009, 9:54 pm
QueenBee3 wrote:

Lately Ive diecided to address the stress in my life and not the food and so far I lost a little weight meaning now my clothes fit better and I think I see the outline of my chin again. ( Stay away from scales)

Jumprope 10 minutes a day, I hate it and cant stand doing it but you can burn 150 calories in 10 minutes and it really gives you strength and endorphins which you dont get from cookies

Carve out mommy down time during the day so your not stressed take coffee breaks and sit and eat and enjoy your meals dont skip!

And now Im on a quest to get out and have a ladies night out or mommy nite while my dh stays with the kids I haven't done this in years.

I guess what Im driving at is that when I overeat its because Im stressed or am trying to soothe myself with food. Why bash food ? Clear up the stress and you wont feel the need to eat as much

Good Luck
OP - I have always loved jumping rope (when I was younger) but I am pretty large chested and I have tried recently and ill just say that it hurts too much to do it, even with a good bra. but your ideas are good ones (I do most of them too) and I never skip a meal. no, my problem is since my daughter was born I have been at home with her and I have actually put on more weight this past year and a half than in the whole time I was pregnant b/c I am home and the food is there if I feel like it, but I am trying my hardest to not "just " eat when I am bored.

happyone

Post Fri, Dec 25 2009, 2:50 am
OA has been a lifesaver for those with no will power. you might want to listen to some phone meetings and see if it's a program for you or if you could relate to those qualifying on the lines. Go to oa.org for a list of meeting on the phone or in your area.

shiradye

Post Sat, Dec 26 2009, 4:23 pm
I agree that if you don't WANT to, you won't.
This time losing weight (I have now lost 10 kilo, another 10 to go!), I joined Curves. Like the personal trainer idea, it's expensive and it requires carving out the time to go 3 times a week. But, coupled with dieting, it works! The only thing I cheated on was 2 sufganiot on Chanukah, and I allowed myself to have them ahead of time, it was planned. Seeing the scale go down is motivating in and of itself.
B'Hatzlacha!

amother

Post Sat, Dec 26 2009, 4:45 pm
OP:
I had surgery..and its not a route I would tell just anyone to go down.

And also:
OA is also not the answer..I felt like eating cheesecake after leaving those meetings, I was so depressed hearing everyones tzaris:

I had gastric bypass, I lost -124 lbs. Shabbos I cheat and have cake, but come sunday I am right back on it.

Let me tell you something OP: I HEAR YOU. Did you try Weight WatcherS? Also, for snacking, I find that popcorn mixed w. splenda and cinnamon hits my sweet teeth. And the Kitov low fat is 130 calories for 3 cups, and one bag makes 5 cups. Which is pretty good. My other advice to you: Drink all day long. Drink Drink Diet Snapple. Drink Crystal Light. DRINK DRINK DRINK. Stay away from diet sodas which are full of salt and bloat you out and make you more thirsty. (even though WW says if you want it, have it)

I know what your saying, I once flew to NY to get Mendelesohns pizza and chalav yisroel carvel ice cream when it was open. and yes, I DID DO THAT. ( I craved it on a Wed and make tickets for the next wed and went for shabbos)

Just stick with it, and look at it like this: Your showing your kids an unhealthy path. My mother died of complications for diabetes, I dont want anyone ever to lose someone bc of weight related issues...

Your grandchildren deserve a Bubbie. Leave the nosh alone.

Blue jay

Post Sat, Dec 26 2009, 5:20 pm
amother wrote:
QueenBee3 wrote:

Good Luck
OP - I have always loved jumping rope (when I was younger) but I am pretty large chested and I have tried recently and ill just say that it hurts too much to do it, even with a good bra. but your ideas are good ones (I do most of them too) and I never skip a meal. no, my problem is since my daughter was born I have been at home with her and I have actually put on more weight this past year and a half than in the whole time I was pregnant b/c I am home and the food is there if I feel like it, but I am trying my hardest to not "just " eat when I am bored.

OP wow I thought I was the only one with this crazy eating michimigas!
IT seems that IM always around food and handling food and I just dont realize how much Im munching on along the way.
When the kids get demanding or when I have to handle bathtime which I cant stand I reach for something sweet to "soothe" the situation on hand.
Food is like a drug!

Im really trying to work on this problem of mine now and I think just by rewiring the way I think has helped alot. I lost about 5 pounds but I realize I cant do any commercial dieting like weight watchers etc because I get easily frustrated when I mess up my good dieting days and then I become depressed and eat more etc.

So far, the biggest thing going for me now is popcorn. You can munch on it all day long (the air popped one) and it will do little damage its very low in calories and soothes the urge to munch. Sometimes those I got to eat moments can be satiated with crunchy foods.

As far as exercise, if jumprope doesn't work for you try a ten minute step workout or dance off with your kids. 10 minutes is as much as I can handle and you would be surprised how much exercise you do all day long taking care of your kids!

Keep me posted or IM me to let me know how things are going!

bigmomma

Post Sat, Dec 26 2009, 5:20 pm
walk 1/2 a day fast you'll feel better!

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Dec 27 2009, 5:42 am
bigmomma wrote:
walk 1/2 a day fast you'll feel better!

I'm assuming you left out "hour". Thanks for the chizuk, I for one am going to get back on track. (And if you did mean " a day", I for one am doomed....)

bigmomma

Post Sun, Dec 27 2009, 12:53 pm
No, of course Imeant 1/2 hour every day or most days as briskly as comfortable, do it consistently and you'll be a different person!

sofaraway

Post Fri, Jan 01 2010, 9:24 am
Well, the #1 is that when I was preg. I promised DH that he shouldn't worry about my weight gain, because I will lose it all.
#2, I was at 205lbs, coming from a 130, so it makes you shake a little bit.
#3, I had a lot of water retention , so 10 lbs came off with that LOL
#4 We have absolutely NO nosh in the house. No candies, no chocolate, no bars, nothing. If I make dessert for shabbes, I make it on thursday night or friday morning, so that I don't have time to cheat and eat it before. Also, I make it in small amount, so that I'll be concerned "maybe there isn't enough?" Wink
#5. If we have leftover dessert, on motzei shabbos, off it goes to my mil, sil, whoever's house but not mine!!! I don't need the temptation!!!!
#6 I go to the gym 4 times a week. I do the elliptical for 30-40 min, depends on the days, and the muscle machines for abt 15 min. I have 8 diff. exercises, and I do 4/ day, so my muscles can relax in between). I never in my life exercised before. NEVER. At the beggining, I went really for DH, and it was hard. I gave myself 6 weeks to start see a result. But the truth is that by the first week I started losing already. It is a very good feeling to see the number on the scale going down.
#7 There are certain foods that I stay away from: sugar and white flour (very occasional noodles). My greatest sin is the mayonnaise. I take no cheeses, cakes, cookies, or chocolate.
#8 I eat lots of fruits (breakfast and snack), cooked vegetables, and brown rice. I also eat eggs, tuna and fresh salmon (I'm vegetarian).
But after everyone was telling me that Ilooked great, and I started fitting into my clothes, I lost my motivation, but now its back, bh.
I have to go, but I hope it helped...,
good shabbes

amother

Post Sat, Jan 02 2010, 11:04 am
sofaraway wrote:
Well, the #1 is that when I was preg. I promised DH that he shouldn't worry about my weight gain, because I will lose it all.
#2, I was at 205lbs, coming from a 130, so it makes you shake a little bit.
#3, I had a lot of water retention , so 10 lbs came off with that LOL
#4 We have absolutely NO nosh in the house. No candies, no chocolate, no bars, nothing. If I make dessert for shabbes, I make it on thursday night or friday morning, so that I don't have time to cheat and eat it before. Also, I make it in small amount, so that I'll be concerned "maybe there isn't enough?" Wink
#5. If we have leftover dessert, on motzei shabbos, off it goes to my mil, sil, whoever's house but not mine!!! I don't need the temptation!!!!
#6 I go to the gym 4 times a week. I do the elliptical for 30-40 min, depends on the days, and the muscle machines for abt 15 min. I have 8 diff. exercises, and I do 4/ day, so my muscles can relax in between). I never in my life exercised before. NEVER. At the beggining, I went really for DH, and it was hard. I gave myself 6 weeks to start see a result. But the truth is that by the first week I started losing already. It is a very good feeling to see the number on the scale going down.
#7 There are certain foods that I stay away from: sugar and white flour (very occasional noodles). My greatest sin is the mayonnaise. I take no cheeses, cakes, cookies, or chocolate.
#8 I eat lots of fruits (breakfast and snack), cooked vegetables, and brown rice. I also eat eggs, tuna and fresh salmon (I'm vegetarian).
But after everyone was telling me that Ilooked great, and I started fitting into my clothes, I lost my motivation, but now its back, bh.
I have to go, but I hope it helped...,
good shabbes
yes, reading this helped a lot, thank you very much. I have actually started walking and have actually started walking on the treadmill b/c I see that it makes me work harder than on the regular road, so BH I have been sticking with it.

JessicaA622

Post Wed, Jan 20 2010, 6:21 pm
Take the first step and don't make it huge. A lot of times people have trouble sticking to diets because they take on too much at once. Let's say you eat two bags of chips a day. Say to yourself that for the next few weeks you're only going to have one bag of chips a day. If you keep your changes small, it won't be as hard to truly keep those changes. Good luck! You can do it!

amother

Post Thu, Jan 21 2010, 1:40 am
JessicaA622 wrote:
Take the first step and don't make it huge. A lot of times people have trouble sticking to diets because they take on too much at once. Let's say you eat two bags of chips a day. Say to yourself that for the next few weeks you're only going to have one bag of chips a day. If you keep your changes small, it won't be as hard to truly keep those changes. Good luck! You can do it!
I am the OP. yes, taking baby steps is a great idea. and I have started to do that. I used to have NO will power and would just junk on whatever I could find in the house, it did not have to be junky things as we dont have junk in the house, but it could just be too much of something. well, I have stopped doing that, almost. I now have three full meals a day and have almost completely stopped the junking. and I might jsut say that I am pretty proud of myself embarrassed Smile it was very hard to stop, but I did and why? because I finally saw what I looked like in the mirror, really, not with blurry eyes and it made me cry so I am being pro active now and I am going forward.

amother

Post Thu, Jan 21 2010, 1:41 am
JessicaA622 wrote:
I am the OP. yes, taking baby steps is a great idea. and I have started to do that. I used to have NO will power and would just junk on whatever I could find in the house, it did not have to be junky things as we dont have junk in the house, but it could just be too much of something. well, I have stopped doing that, almost. I now have three full meals a day and have almost completely stopped the junking. and I might jsut say that I am pretty proud of myself embarrassed Smile it was very hard to stop, but I did and why? because I finally saw what I looked like in the mirror, really, not with blurry eyes and it made me cry so I am being pro active now and I am going forward.

HooRYou

Post Thu, Jan 21 2010, 1:55 am
read this book:
Beck Diet Solution

JessicaA622

Post Thu, Jan 21 2010, 4:32 am
amother wrote:
JessicaA622 wrote:

I'm glad to hear that you're making positive changes! Just keep up with those baby steps and by this time next year your bad eating habits and that person you perceived as ugly in the mirror will be just a distant memory.

Post Thu, Jan 21 2010, 7:03 am
I just want to say that I understand you and feel the same way. I started excersizing two weeks ago (twice a week) and it is helping me start thinking about dieting. Im not there yet, but I hope to join an OA program soon. I also find that I cant control myself and have no willpower to start.
I think the support on this program is exactly what I need (it addresses the issues of honesty, openness and willingness) so I hope to go to meetings and see where it takes me.

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Jan 21 2010, 7:15 am
JessicaA622 wrote:

I guess you have to do what works for me. I would not lose weight that way.

JessicaA622

Post Thu, Jan 21 2010, 7:28 am
chocolate moose wrote:
JessicaA622 wrote:

I guess you have to do what works for me. I would not lose weight that way.

Have you ever tried?
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise