Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads
I need a really sweet whole-wheat challah recipe

QT26

Post Wed, May 17 2006, 3:43 pm
My son can't eat white flour and white sugar (amongst other foods that he can't have). I need a really delicious challah recipe - 100% whole wheat flour and honey or brown sugar to make it really yummy. I tried the recipe from the purple cookbook and my son wasn't too impressed (I wasn't either...). And no bread-machine recipes please. Anyone?

ceo

Post Sun, May 28 2006, 12:44 pm
I make DELICIOUS whole wheat challah (I gave the recipe to Crayon, and now she's hooked on whole wheat too!). I make it in the bread machine, BUT I've been experimenting with whole wheat challah since before I had a bread machine and have some tips. Also, I hope you know that brown sugar (unless it's sucanat) is just white sugar with molasses added....so your kid should stay away from that as well.

Basically, here are a few tips to try. Take any challah recipe and substitute whole wheat flour for the white. Then, you MUST add some vital wheat gluten- I add about 1/3 cup of gluten for every 4 cups of flour. This is what will make the bread have a soft, yummy texture- not crumbly. I like using honey in challah better than sugar, so take the amount of sugar, divide it in half- that's the amount of honey you should use. Also, different w.w. flours are ground differently and it effects the challah. I like using arrowhead mills stone ground of bob's red mill flour. experiment and see what you like.

I have done this many times with success, so I hope it works for you too.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads