Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Did you enjoy the legal holiday(s) on Friday ?

chocolate moose

Post Fri, Dec 25 2009, 3:10 pm
I have to say that I do not. Give a frum person off on Thursday or Friday and it's always devoted to Shabbos prep.

Anyone ?

OldYoung

Post Fri, Dec 25 2009, 3:18 pm
At least you GOT off.

Maya

Post Fri, Dec 25 2009, 3:21 pm
Totally true what you say. Friday is my stay-in day because of Shabbos prep.

Although now that I'm working in a yeshiva office, I wouldn't get legal holidays off anyway. Smile

Tova

Post Fri, Dec 25 2009, 3:29 pm
Agreed (I had off yesterday too, and next week Thurs. and Fri.). The thing is, errand-type places were not even open today and I earmarked these days to get my house organized and in order so I feel accomplished!

3Qts

Post Fri, Dec 25 2009, 3:29 pm
Last Holiday (Thanksgiving) I went away so I really felt it. This week I stayed home and not only did I not accomplish what I normally do but shabbos preparations got finished much later then when I have a schedule.

greenfire

Post Fri, Dec 25 2009, 3:42 pm
after midnight mass - didn't everyone sleep in late ...

Ruchel

Post Sat, Dec 26 2009, 12:28 pm
No, as my dh doesn't work on Friday anyway.

NotInNJMommy

Post Sat, Dec 26 2009, 5:36 pm
Yes, though I do agree it was a lot of shabbos overhead.

However, I had made most of my shabbos stuff before, and my shabbosim are simple since I do work full time. My MIL was in town since we all had off Thurs/Fri and we baked cookies with the kids, which is a rarity by me. I usually don't have time to bake my own dessert, especially cookies which are somewhat of a potchke (vs. a cake, bars, etc. which you just dump in a pan once).

bigmomma

Post Sat, Dec 26 2009, 6:16 pm
QT3 me too, Shabbos preps were later. Maybe the coming Thur and Firday I'll do some serious organizing in my house like Tova, although I'd like to shop a bit.

shopaholic

Post Sat, Dec 26 2009, 8:06 pm
Undortunaltely in my line of work, I had no day off. But I did enjoy it when I had Friday Chanukah off.

neverbored

Post Sun, Dec 27 2009, 1:34 am
DH was off! He called it a waste of a holiday! Smile He kept on telling everyone that next year they will be on Shabbos so that will really be a total waste. No additional days off then.

Tova

Post Sun, Dec 27 2009, 1:39 am
When "the holidays" fall out on a Shabbos/Sunday my company gives off other days instead, like the day before and/or after. Because we get "x" number of paid holidays off, that is written in stone.

And - to those who say that at least we are off, all of us who are off are obviously working for companies where we have to use vacation days for Yamim Tovim...so it all evens out one way or another.

I really just use these days to organize things and get things done. Unlike when I am off for Memorial Day, July 4th, Labor Day, Thanksgiving, on Dec. 24/25/31 and Jan. 1 when I am off my kids still have babysitting/playgroup.

lilacdreams

Post Sun, Dec 27 2009, 2:46 am
chocolate moose wrote:
I have to say that I do not. Give a frum person off on Thursday or Friday and it's always devoted to Shabbos prep.

Anyone ?

yeah but atleast my dh was around to help me! what a treat! Normally he comes home about 1.5 hours before shabbes....and needs a nap! grrrrrr

lilacdreams

Post Sun, Dec 27 2009, 2:48 am
oh and he also got off early on Thursday - so we took kids to the park and had some family time!

bigmomma

Post Sun, Dec 27 2009, 3:56 pm
In NYC are the stores like MACY"S , JCPENNY etc. open or closed on Friday Jan 1, New Years???

NotInNJMommy

Post Sun, Dec 27 2009, 4:08 pm
I would guess open. I just looked at Macy's Herald Square Hours---10a-10p on Jan 1.

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Dec 27 2009, 4:51 pm
Macy's is barely every closed, and often opens at ungodly hours like 6 Am. check their website.

louche

Post Mon, Dec 28 2009, 11:05 am
chocolate moose wrote:

Anyone ?

Hear, hear. Give me a Monday off over a Friday any time.

chocolate moose

Post Mon, Dec 28 2009, 4:22 pm
Monday, not so much. A lot of things are closed on Mondays.

safetynet

Post Mon, Dec 28 2009, 4:25 pm
I didn't get off... and I never get off.

I work every possible minute .
That's life!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics