Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Meat
Greeneye's Honey Garlic Meatballs
1  2  Next

ra_mom

Post Tue, Jan 05 2010, 7:26 pm
Honey Garlic Meatballs
Meat Mixture:
2 lbs. lean ground turkey, chicken, beef or veal
1 egg (or 2 egg whites)
1/2 tsp salt (only if using turkey or chicken - do not add salt to meat or veal)
1/4 tsp pepper
1/4 tsp paprika
2 cloves garlic crushed
1/3 cup club soda or water (approximately)
1/2 cup breadcrumbs

Sauce Mixture:
1-1/2 cups Honey Garlic Sauce (recipe below)
1 Tbsp cornstarch
1/2 cup orange juice
1/4 tsp red pepper flakes, optional
1 tsp sesame oil, optional

Preheat oven to 400°F. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil; spray with non stick spray.
Combine all ingredients for meat mixture and mix lightly. Wet your hands and shape mixture into small meatballs. Arrange on baking sheet; bake at 400°F for 20 minutes, until firm.

Heat honey garlic sauce in a large pot. Dissolve cornstarch in orange juice; stir into simmering sauce. Add red pepper flakes and sesame oil, if using. When sauce is bubbling and thickened, add meatballs. Simmer partly covered for 10 to 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Honey Garlic Sauce
1/2 cup soy sauce
1 cup water
1/2 cup brown sugar
4 Tbsp honey
4 Tbsp molasses (or more honey)
6 cloves garlic, crushed.

Combine all ingredients and mix well.

These are so delicious!

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Wed, Jan 06 2010, 10:19 am
I made this last night and they were very good. My husband didn't seem too keen on it, but when he tried it, he grudgingly had to admit they weren't that bad Smile
(My 4.5 year old devoured them).

BTW, blackstrap molasses are very good for you, and I was happy to be able to use them in this recipe Smile

MiracleMama

Post Wed, Jan 06 2010, 10:52 am
Does the club soda make them fluffy? I have seen this used in matza balls and omelets for this purpose. Never thought of meatballs though.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Wed, Jan 06 2010, 10:59 am
Supposedly it does -- I just used water, but the creator of the recipe says the club soda is a key factor.

greeneyes

Post Wed, Jan 06 2010, 3:37 pm
Ra mom, I'm so glad you liked this recipe! The credit really goes to Norene Gilletz...

These meatballs go really well with this "vegetable un-fried rice" recipe (also from MealLeaniYumm):

Cook 1 cup brown rice. (or white rice, if you prefer) Prepare 2-3 cups of any of the following veggies: bean sprouts, snow peas, chopped celery, red pepper, scallions, mushrooms, broccoli florets. Add 1 T. each of minced garlic & ginger to the vegetables. (I omit the ginger since I don't care for it.) Microwave, covered, on high for 5 minutes, until tender crisp. (No oil is needed, only a few drops of water to create steam.) Combine vegetable with the cooked rice. Add 3 T. soy sauce, 2-3 tsp. sesame oil, salt & pepper to taste. Yum!

ra_mom

Post Wed, Jan 06 2010, 4:00 pm
greeneyes wrote:
Ra mom, I'm so glad you liked this recipe! The credit really goes to Norene Gilletz...

These meatballs go really well with this "vegetable un-fried rice" recipe (also from MealLeaniYumm):

Cook 1 cup brown rice. (or white rice, if you prefer) Prepare 2-3 cups of any of the following veggies: bean sprouts, snow peas, chopped celery, red pepper, scallions, mushrooms, broccoli florets. Add 1 T. each of minced garlic & ginger to the vegetables. (I omit the ginger since I don't care for it.) Microwave, covered, on high for 5 minutes, until tender crisp. (No oil is needed, only a few drops of water to create steam.) Combine vegetable with the cooked rice. Add 3 T. soy sauce, 2-3 tsp. sesame oil, salt & pepper to taste. Yum!

Yum! Gotta try this. Thanks so much!

mue2

Post Wed, Jan 06 2010, 4:08 pm
sorry im confused I really want to try this but it says bake them in oven and boil them on the stove??? someone help please???

greeneyes

Post Wed, Jan 06 2010, 4:22 pm
mue2 wrote:
sorry im confused I really want to try this but it says bake them in oven and boil them on the stove??? someone help please???

They are both baked & cooked on the stovetop. You bake them first for 20 minutes until firm. Then you cook them in the sauce on the stovetop for 10-15 minutes.

mue2

Post Wed, Jan 06 2010, 5:42 pm
ok thanx for the reply didnt quite get it. I am going to try them tomorow sound really nice.
thanx

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, Jan 07 2010, 9:31 am
BTW, I'm planning on trying this sauce on chicken for Shabbos...my husband told me we have way too much garlic in the fridge!

ra_mom

Post Tue, Jan 19 2010, 7:44 pm
greeneyes, the vegetable unfried rice came out delicious! Thanks!
Btw, do you use all 6 cloves crushed fresh garlic (1 Tbsp) in 1 cup of rice?

ra_mom

Post Tue, Jan 19 2010, 7:45 pm
Aha! I was supposed to add the crushed garlic to the veggies before they were steamed.
Well, it still tastes delishes!

Blueberry Muffin

Post Tue, Jan 19 2010, 9:43 pm
greeneyes wrote:

These meatballs go really well with this "vegetable un-fried rice" recipe (also from MealLeaniYumm):!

I've got that cookbook too! I thought only my Mother-in-law and sister are the only ones with it! Glad to see others are using it as well!

Blueberry Muffin

Post Tue, Jan 19 2010, 9:45 pm
My Mother-in-law bought it for me in Toronto. I bought it for my sister online. It's a healthy kosher cookbook.

greeneyes

Post Wed, Jan 20 2010, 4:41 pm
ra_mom wrote:
greeneyes, the vegetable unfried rice came out delicious! Thanks!
Btw, do you use all 6 cloves crushed fresh garlic (1 Tbsp) in 1 cup of rice?

I think I just chop up some garlic without measuring it, probably more like 3-4 cloves. So glad you liked it!

OOTBubby

Post Sun, Sep 26 2010, 10:40 am
The honey-garlic meatballs were a very big hit here -- we've been doing sweet & sour meatballs for years and no one would let me consider a change -- they now say we should do this one again next time!

Thank you.

greeneyes

Post Sun, Sep 26 2010, 1:23 pm
Yay! I'm so glad you enjoyed it.

ChossidMom

Post Sun, Sep 26 2010, 2:33 pm
thanks for posting this recipe.
My husband is not crazy about tomato sauce and most meatball recipes use tomato sauce. I'll have to try this!

life'sgreat

Post Tue, Sep 28 2010, 8:20 pm
My husband's allergic to oranges. What would you substitute for the 1/2 cup orange juice?

ra_mom

Post Tue, Sep 28 2010, 8:42 pm
life'sgreat wrote:
My husband's allergic to oranges. What would you substitute for the 1/2 cup orange juice?
Pineapple juice, if he can have that.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics