Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
EDITORS... training?

sympa

Post Wed, Jan 06 2010, 2:08 pm
How do you become an editor? Are there courses out there? Is it worth it?

shabbatiscoming

Post Wed, Jan 06 2010, 2:21 pm
I am taking a course now, learning editing, in michlelet david yellin in jerusalem. if you want to ask me things about it, you can.

I think that it is worth it as I want to be an editor and had no experience and no knowledge in the area to be qualified to work in this area.

you can PM me or ask here and I will try to answer your questions.

sympa

Post Wed, Jan 06 2010, 5:28 pm
Is the course in Englisg or Hebrew (which language will you be working with?)
Is there a focus - journal articles, ads, or books, etc.? Or is it general?
Is it full time or part time?
How long is the course?
Worth it = is there a need for editors, how much do editors charge, and does the proposed potential income outweigh the financial set-back of the course?
What do you obtain - B.A.? Masters? Other? and is whatever you get from here all that is necessary to be work as an editor, or is further training required/recommended?
Is there a religious (or anti-religious) slant to the course material? What about the atmosphere?

Thanks in advance.

Btw, from the way you post, I can see you being a good editor.

shabbatiscoming

Post Wed, Jan 06 2010, 5:38 pm
Is the course in Englisg or Hebrew (which language will you be working with?) the course is in english and I plan to work in english.
Is there a focus - journal articles, ads, or books, etc.? Or is it general?so far it is general and in the second semester there will be a section on different types of specific editing: medical, academic etc.
Is it full time or part time?it is every tuesday from 8:30 to 3:30
How long is the course?the entire school year, but I am not sure when the end is, I would have to find out.
Worth it = is there a need for editors, how much do editors charge, and does the proposed potential income outweigh the financial set-back of the course?the need for editors? I have heard, and not jsut from the professors in the course (who are editors and writters and english professors) that there is a need. I do not know about how much they charge yet. there is going to be a section on this later in the year. for me the potential income definitely outweighs the cost of the course, but that is my financial situation
What do you obtain - B.A.? Masters? Other? and is whatever you get from here all that is necessary to be work as an editor, or is further training required/recommended?it is a certificate program, meaning that you get a certificate saying that you have completed the course. I do not think that further training is necessary.
Is there a religious (or anti-religious) slant to the course material? What about the atmosphere?there is no slant to the course. there are mostly women, but that is for sure a coincidence. there are quite a few religious women, but they are of all walks of religion. there are some non religious people and even one arab woman. there is no slant to the material either, at all and the atmosphere is wonderful. everyone is into learning what is at hand and thats all we are there for and during the lunch breaks, people hang out and chat with one another.

Btw, from the way you post, I can see you being a good editor. thank Smile

amother
Wine

Post Wed, Jan 06 2010, 6:22 pm
/thank/
Thanks Wink jk - couldn't help myself LOL (laughing at myself for feeling compelled to edit right now).

Last edited by amother on Sun, Oct 18 2020, 8:39 pm; edited 2 times in total

shabbatiscoming

Post Thu, Jan 07 2010, 3:01 am
ChSh wrote:
shabbatiscoming wrote:

Btw, from the way you post, I can see you being a good editor. thank Smile

thank Thanks Wink jk - couldn't help myself LOL (laughing at myself for feeling compelled to edit right now).
LOL LOL LOL oops, I did not see that, but even one of the professors who is an editor for an english science journal here in israel said that even she has missed things, that everyone is only human Smile
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics